Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford Mustang Mach E

• 18-11-2019 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,577 ✭✭✭✭

So ford are entering the game full on with an SUV carrying the Mustang branding.

Good video here.

https://youtu.be/4HSK6gz5-Ro

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks very like an i-Pace (unsurprising I suppose).

I just can't bring myself to see that shape of a car as an SUV though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mustang?

Porsche: let's call our EV a "turbo" and accelerate ourselves to the forefront of global EV branding mistakes.
    Ford: hold my beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Ah another Tesla "killer" that won't actually be a Tesla "killer".

Hmmmmm.

Right where to start - if you want two screens - the Model S makes a much nicer job of it.

Ditto the single screen of the Model 3 looks a lot better.

Will need to be out of this world to drive to beat Model 3.

Charging speeds seem low at peak. However the caveat to that is that Audi have shown that a consistent 150 kw right the way up to very high SOC can be very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,577 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Old diesel wrote: »
    Ah another Tesla "killer" that won't actually be a Tesla "killer".

Hmmmmm.

Right where to start - if you want two screens - the Model S makes a much nicer job of it.

Ditto the single screen of the Model 3 looks a lot better.

Will need to be out of this world to drive to beat Model 3.

Charging speeds seem low at peak. However the caveat to that is that Audi have shown that a consistent 150 kw right the way up to very high SOC can be very effective.

I don't think ford said Tesla killer. Only people using that word is yourself obliviously as here. But people writing random click bait blogs on the interwebs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I think it's pretty decent. Better range than the Model 3 for a similar price.

No harm in some competition. If it does compete well with the 3, Tesla might try to be more competitive on price. If it doesn't sell because people prefer the 3, then Ford might bring their price down.

Win-win.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Polluting the Mustang name with a SUV is a huge mistake IMHO even outside EV

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interesting comment was that seemingly 2 years ago Ford were working on a all new, ground up, Electric Focus. Instead the new CEO told them to work on this "mustang". A competitor to the Tesla Model Y, a segment in the EV market that is already starting to look overcrowded IMO.

More EV's is always welcome, but I don't think this will do much to spur the market on. A new EV Focus to compete with the VW ID.3 would have done far more for the market IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,577 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bk wrote: »
    Interesting comment was that seemingly 2 years ago Ford were working on a all new, ground up, Electric Focus. Instead the new CEO told them to work on this "mustang". A competitor to the Tesla Model Y, a segment in the EV market that is already starting to look overcrowded IMO.

More EV's is always welcome, but I don't think this will do much to spur the market on. A new EV Focus to compete with the VW ID.3 would have done far more for the market IMO.

Afraid not.

Us market specifically as moved way far away from sedans.

It's suv or pickups over there nothing else cuts it. Which is why he made that call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Looks very like an i-Pace (unsurprising I suppose).

I just can't bring myself to see that shape of a car as an SUV though.

I would probably pick it over an I-PACE. How big is it compared to the I-PACE?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

listermint wrote: »
    It's suv or pickups over there nothing else cuts it. Which is why he made that call

I do understand that. But they could easily have built a more affordable crossover on a Focus platform for the US market. Like VW is doing with the ID Cross in the US, on the same platform as the ID.3.

I'm not sure this will do much going head to head with the Model Y, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Much better looking than the model Y by a long way. The Mustang badge is only there to make the price easier to swallow as the Ford badge unless on the front of a truck is devalued.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

The write-up in the IT gives a bit more info:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/ford-s-electric-mustang-crossover-to-get-460hp-1.4086546

Headline for average joe
    1) 0-100 in 7-8 sec, sub4 sec for top models
    2) 75kwh entry 420km WTLP but also a 99kwh a/v
    3) 47k EUR starting price
    4) 400 litre boot + 100 l frunk

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

krissovo wrote: »
    The Mustang badge is only there to make the price easier to swallow as the Ford badge unless on the front of a truck is devalued.

2019-Ford-GT-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Elon congratulated Ford for bringing this on market so thumbs up from me also. Will these be Europe-bound? It seems like a very good effort actually. Dash screens are very Model S'esque.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Lumen wrote: »
    2019-Ford-GT-3.jpg

I keep trying to reply with a photo of the Ford Edge or flex but i will not let me:mad:

You did counter with a very strong case against my bold statement so you have my respect and can take the sweet victory:D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Starting at €50,000 including government grant. €65,000 for the AWD and €75,000 for the first edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,709 ✭✭✭✭unkel

D_BEAR wrote: »
    Starting at €50,000 including government grant.

Direct competitor to the Tesla Model Y, which will also be out in about a year's time

Is there a 7-seat option, does anyone know?

So OTA upgrades and semi autonomous driving with eye tracking... And definitely Europe-bound. The interior and specs look really impressive frunk and all.

This was a real surprise from Ford and knowing it's Ford there will be no messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,709 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nikki has a decent piece on it. That frunk is massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭The Mist

unkel wrote: »
    Direct competitor to the Tesla Model Y, which will also be out in about a year's time

Is there a 7-seat option, does anyone know?

Website seems to say 5 seats only (compare model table).
    https://www.ford.ie/cars/mustang-mach-e

It looks really good though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Looks incredible, it certainly will upset a few Mustang purists.

I'll add it to my "Car to buy when I win the Lotto" list. It's growing regularly at this stage.

samih wrote: »
    The interior and specs look really impressive frunk and all.

One of the reviewers mentioned there is a drainplug at the bottom of the frunk. The idea being for tailgate parties they have in the parking lots of big games, they fill it with ice to keep their booze cold. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I really like this, I think if Parry Jones has anything to do with it, it will also be an excellent drive, but I am a bit disappointed by the interior - its just a bit to washing machiney for my liking, I'd prefer proper dials under a cowl of some sort.

The reality is that Ford also have the production expertise to mean there wont be any shockingly badly built cars and massive production delays as per some of their rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's probably on the small side for an American SUV, but if they'd gone much bigger it would have been too big for the rest of the world..(plus extra size,would be extra weight, extra battery and extra cost and price)
    I thought Ford were doing a tie in with vw for the id3 platform,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Markcheese wrote: »
    I thought Ford were doing a tie in with vw for the id3 platform,

Good point. The Mach-E appears not to be related to that annoncement.

Will be interesting to see where the European cars are to be built. What are the tarriffs between EU and Mexico? As Ford has plenty of factories in Europe it makes sense to build this locally anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I really like this, I think if Parry Jones has anything to do with it, it will also be an excellent drive, but I am a bit disappointed by the interior - its just a bit to washing machiney for my liking, I'd prefer proper dials under a cowl of some sort.

The reality is that Ford also have the production expertise to mean there wont be any shockingly badly built cars and massive production delays as per some of their rivals.

Is Parry Jones still at Ford?????.

He was one of the big chiefs that influenced the Mk 1 Mondeo and that car was launched 26 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭embraer170

Interesting car. Those door handles are odd, and I wonder what happens to the keypad when the battery is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Old diesel wrote: »
    Is Parry Jones still at Ford?????.

He was one of the big chiefs that influenced the Mk 1 Mondeo and that car was launched 26 years ago.

He retired in 2007 ! Jesus how out of date am I ?

Still, he was behind the philosophy that cars development should be led by engineers not bean counters - meant the Focus, Fiesta, Puma and Mondeo were generally better to drive than their competitors - I think the philosophy continues - I drove a First Ztec recently - what a hoot for a 3cyl supermini !

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

I have to admit, as a future prospect I am very interested in this car. I had a deposit down on the ID3 but after the launch I felt a bit let down by some aspects of the car. The Mach E ( I cannot call it a Mustang lol ) is ticking a lot more boxes for me personally. I love the frunk, interior space is very good, has a tow rating yeah I know it’s limited but it still is rated. The boot size is very reasonable, charging speed is reasonable too. The lower spec @ 50k is right there vs the ID3 and I’d prefer the Mach E compared to the ID3 at that price point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why isn't this thread getting any love. I dismissed this car at first but on a second look it seems like a contender.

50k gets you 600km range and a nice standard spec. B&O sound system for one.

Anyone know when you can order one, there saying arriving this year https://www.ford.ie/cars/mustang-mach-e

Why isn't mustang in the thread title??

Advertisement