Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Rose

• 12-04-2019 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭

Trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Ths6k7qXk

This looks really good! (seems to be out today)

Its getting excellent reviews as well.
    Jessie Buckley was fantastic in beast and you cant beat Julie Walters.

Blurb below
    Rose-Lynn Harlan, played by BAFTA Rising Star nominee Jessie Buckley (Beast), is bursting with raw talent, charisma and cheek. Fresh out of jail and with two young kids, all she wants is to get out of Glasgow and make it as a country singer in Nashville. Her mum Marion (Julie Walters) has had a bellyful of Rose-Lynn’s Nashville nonsense. Forced to take responsibility, Rose-Lynn gets a cleaning job, only to find an unlikely champion in the middle-class lady of the house (Sophie Okonedo). Directed by Tom Harper, Wild Rose is an uplifting story with an original soundtrack about family, dreams and reality, and three chords and the truth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Shelga

Just went to see this, I’d never even heard of it before today.

It was absolutely brilliant. Jessie Buckley was amazing, the music is gorgeous, just everything, I can’t fault it really!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Seen the trailer earlier today, looks very good, looking forward to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Yeah, great film, Jessie is amazing, seen it at the DIFF which she attended.

She sang a couple of songs live at the end.

If you haven't seen it, she's also excellent in Beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Seen it, thought it was a good mix of grit and feel good, and good acting too.
    Loved the final song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Yeah, great film, Jessie is amazing, seen it at the DIFF which she attended.

She sang a couple of songs live at the end.

If you haven't seen it, she's also excellent in Beast.

My favourite actress. I saw her first in the War and Peace series; I thought she was fantastic in it. She was very good in Taboo with Tom Hardy, and fantastic again in Beast. Obviously very good in Chernobyl- one of the few actors allowed to do a Ukrainian accent!
    I've been trying to get to see Wild Rose for a while now; her accent is flawless in the clips I've seen, and I've seen her in Youtube singing- she can sing as well. Even though I don't like c&w, can't wait to see this because of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Performances in this are pretty fantastic,great film

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did this get a general cinema release here?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did this get a general cinema release here?
    It was on here in Galway anyway. (I'm an action flick and popcorn kinda guy, so didn't go to it. I sourced it y'day tho, and will watch tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing Jessie get her actin' and singin' chops on.)

Seen her live in Whelan's four weeks back. She's great live.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

She's playing a charity gig in Vicar St next month
    Would imagine it'll be mostly stuff from Wild Rose

https://www.ticketmaster.ie/jessie-buckley-more-for-the-matt-talbot-trust-dublin-25-09-2019/event/180056DA6E3A0D11

• Advertisement

It was on here in Galway anyway. (I'm an action flick and popcorn kinda guy, so didn't go to it. I sourced it y'day tho, and will watch tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing Jessie get her actin' and singin' chops on.)

Is it on dvd?

Is it on dvd?

No idea. Alternatively sourced, as it Appens.

I quite enjoyed it, though the story was a little paint-by-numbers. Small cast, but all very good. Jessie's acting chops were under-utilized I think, but boy can she sing.

I really hope she has a great agent, coz she is an amazing talent, which deserves to be utilised fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭lukin

Watched this at home last night. I think Jessie Buckley will be a huge star. She could be as successful as her fellow Killarney native Michael Fassbender.
    The movie was OK I thought. Glad it didn't finish with a syrupy ending and had a realistic one instead.
    Jessie's character wasn't that likeable though, maybe that is the way the writer's meant it to be though.

lukin wrote: »
    Glad it didn't finish with a syrupy ending and had a realistic one instead.
    Jessie's character wasn't that likeable though.
    Yeah, I quite liked the non-Hollywood-type ending, which was ironically a Hollwood type ending at the same time i.e.
    her character had me thinking she was gonna leave her kid for the bright lights- as she was so driven, and in that regard unlikeable. So her dream didn't come true, but hey, isn't life great!
    . (not sure if that makes sense).
    So it became a realistic ending, though I did think it was a bit syrupy as well;
    character arc complete- It's for the kids, ma!
    Sunday evening fare, though much better than its ilk because of Jessie's performance (particularly her singing).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

She sure is

:eek:

She's had some mental health issues recently poor woman, unbelievable voice

• Registered Users Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This is on Amazon prime for anyone who wants to see it :)

She's had some mental health issues recently poor woman, unbelievable voice

Jessie?

Jessie?

Yup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

Jessie Buckley is phenomenal in this. Great film.

pretty average fare this tbh

her recent work was decent - Chernobyl, Taboo etc but this is bog standard stuff.

She speaks a little about her mental health issues here:

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/esmagazine/jessie-buckley-interview-chernobyl-a4222376.html

Has a part in the new Season of Fargo:

glasso wrote: »
    pretty average fare this tbh

her recent work was decent - Chernobyl, Taboo etc but this is bog standard stuff.
    The film is pretty average, but Ms Buckley is way above average in it; it's worth watching just for her.

The film is pretty average, but Ms Buckley is way above average in it; it's worth watching just for her.

she is reasonable/decent in it and I think that she is set for better things in the future based on her trajectory but it's not worth watching imo. I think that you have a bit of bias in your own case!

this type of star-is-born / rough diamond with talent story has been done far better before.

doesn't help that Glasgow is a bit of a kip with little to offer the screen and that country music is largely overly-sentimental muck

this type of star-is-born / rough diamond with talent story has been done far better before.
    For sure.
    she is reasonable/decent in it and I think that she is set for better things in the future based on her trajectory but it's not worth watching imo. I think that you have a bit of bias in your own case!
    It's not that taxing a role for her, so she didn't really have to push herself much, so yeah, the role doesn't allow her to show her acting chops much. She shines with her singing though, bringing the film up a notch; to decent "Sunday evening fare" (and that's with my bias). ;)
    Woulda thought her agent coulda got her a better film to act in; maybe it was just a vehicle to show her singing talent.

doesn't help that Glasgow is a bit of a kip with little to offer the screen and that country music is largely overly-sentimental muck

You knew all this in advance yet still watched it ?

Mind made up before seeing it I'd imagine?

You knew all this in advance yet still watched it ?

Mind made up before seeing it I'd imagine?

mind made up on country music bit yes but gave it a chance otherwise.

but that aside I found it trite and not that good at all.

Finally got round to seeing this, Jessie is amazing, great job with the singing and accent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭sporina

Watched this last night - thought it was only ok - felt that the story had premise but wasn't very well written...

Anyone else seen it?

Post edited by sporina on

Advertisement