Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canal Weed & Propellors

• 16-11-2019 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Are there means to prevent a boat propeller from being clogged up by weeds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm pretty sure there's aftermarket weed guards available for most props.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there's aftermarket weed guards available for most props.

I am aware of prop guards for safety purposes but are they designed to prevent weed issues? Could safety prop guards exacerbate weed clogging?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

deaglan1 wrote: »
    I am aware of prop guards for safety purposes but are they designed to prevent weed issues? Could safety prop guards exacerbate weed clogging?

I think so, sorry, we only did one trip in freshwater and it was a problem, we looked in to it but never got to do a freshwater trip again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You could also fit a rope cutter to your shaft. I built a weed hatch into my boat so I can access the prop from inside the boat might be worth looking into if you are doing up an old boat and spending a lot of time on the canals, other than that a diving mask and a good knife. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

I’ve a prop guard on my ZapCat and it’s a weed magnet. The only good thing about it is it catches weed in such a big way it’s instantly noticeable as the prop can’t get enough water through, otherwise it could starve the cooling system.
    So the guard will keep weed off the prop but accumulates on the guard and stops you anyway.
    While it is relatively easy to clear weed from an outboard, if you’re running in weed be careful you’re not clogging your water intake on either outboard or inboard engines.
    I’d go the direction Fergal suggests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

fergal.b wrote: »
    You could also fit a rope cutter to your shaft. I built a weed hatch into my boat so I can access the prop from inside the boat might be worth looking into if you are doing up an old boat and spending a lot of time on the canals, other than that a diving mask and a good knife. :)

Interesting Fergal. Never heard of a rope cutter before. Looked it up and it seems like a very useful piece of kit & costly:( and I presume I would have to remove the prop guard.

Care to show us an image of your DIY weed hatch or a drawing of it - I am not clear how it functions. Is it a serious DIY project or relatively simple for the talentless Mr. Minimal DIY guy?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Have a look at page 7 and 13 in my link. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057583016&page=13 it might be in your interest to read the whole post if you are thinking of doing up an old boat.
    You will have to have a good idea about fibreglassing to take on the job or get it built by a pro.

Advertisement