Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aeroflot allow pets sub 8kg in cabin - any other operators ?

• 14-11-2019 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

If https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50398672 is to be believed, Aeroflot allow pets up to 8kg to fly in the cabin.

( Leaving aside the issues that this could lead to :eek: ) , anyone know of other operators that are as accommodating ?

(Wonder is it Domestic only ?)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

8 kgs is a small dog. My wife's shi- tzu is4kg

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

I think Air France have a similar policy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Finnair. Costs €40, they have to have a soft carrier which can fit under the seat in front of you. And they only allow 2 pets per flight (I think in case they need to move people around in case of allergies)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Tenger wrote: »
    8 kgs is a small dog. My wife's shi- tzu is4kg

Hope it doesnt encounter a russian cat so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

Delta allow dogs in carriers under the seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

EI321 wrote: »
    Delta allow dogs in carriers under the seats.

All North American airlines allow it as far as I know. Doesn't need to be a service animal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Much better for the dogs if they can do it. Cats couldn't care less about being put in the hold (or if the plane was crashing and on fire) but dogs get terrified.

I had no idea it was so usual

Is this just for domestic flights ? or would the same rules apply for international flights ?

( I have meories of bringing a little puppy back from the UK - it had to go the the hold of a Viscount :( )

As far as I’m aware AF is the only transatlantic operator to allow this (I’d love to be proved wrong). Delta excludes RoI and UK per their on-line policy. Have seen many pet carriers on US/Americas flights with several airlines, but not (so far) in Europe or on t/a flights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

x567 wrote: »
    As far as I’m aware AF is the only transatlantic operator to allow this (I’d love to be proved wrong). Delta excludes RoI and UK per their on-line policy. Have seen many pet carriers on US/Americas flights with several airlines, but not (so far) in Europe or on t/a flights

Delta definitely allowed it out of Ireland, my friend brought his cat over in 2011. I believe there is/was some regulation that prohibits any pets in the cabin on transatlantic flights into Ireland. Though I checked the Air Canada policy and they do allow pets in the cabin into Ireland so it's possible the regulation only changed recently and Delta just haven't updated their policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

I was looking at bringing my Dog to the States from Dublin and Delta definitely allow it as of earlier this year.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/pet-travel/overview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

I remember being stocious a while back on a flight from JFK to MCO airport. I thought I was seeing things or was dreaming when I sobered up and had memories of dogs being stowed in the cabin!! Now I know!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Crock Rock wrote: »
    I remember being stocious a while back on a flight from JFK to MCO airport. I thought I was seeing things or was dreaming when I sobered up and had memories of dogs being stowed in the cabin!! Now I know!

US domestic flights have to allow medical support animals in and there's an industry of dodgy doctors selling letters saying you need one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

There is (or was anyway) a long section in the Ethihad's T&Cs about bringing your hawk(s) in Business/first class.

I got to wondering what happens at DUB, found there is a page on topic. :)

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/help-and-support/travelling-with-pets

Thanks again to all thread contributors

Enduro wrote: »
    There is (or was anyway) a long section in the Ethihad's T&Cs about bringing your hawk(s) in Business/first class.

business-hawk-27453236.png

EI321 wrote: »
    I was looking at bringing my Dog to the States from Dublin and Delta definitely allow it as of earlier this year.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/pet-travel/overview

Maybe I’m missing something but further down the linked Delta site it lists RoI and UK as exceptions where travel in the cabin isn’t allowed. Most airlines allow travel in the hold, but other than AF and the usefully-flagged AC info above, travel in the cabin doesn’t seem to be allowed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Won't affect me. Couldn't pay me to fly Aeroflot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

Rodin wrote: »
    Won't affect me. Couldn't pay me to fly Aeroflot.

What's wrong with them?

VG31 wrote: »
    What's wrong with them?

They use old Tupolevs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

They use old Tupolevs

My last few flights with them have been modern A320s with sharklets and a super jet. Not sure they have any tupolevs in the fleet any more.

Dardania wrote: »
    My last few flights with them have been modern A320s with sharklets and a super jet. Not sure they have any tupolevs in the fleet any more.

Thank f..k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

They use old Tupolevs

No. They don’t.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Davy wrote: »

I would go berserk if I had forked out a few grand and found disgusting dogs like those up in business or first class. Animals should be allowed on a plane, can you imagine the smell alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I was on an Aerlingus flight back from Chicago to Dub a few years ago and found myself next to a lady with a small dog. She had it on a cushion under the seat in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

was on an aegean flight Dublin to athens this summer and one of the passengers had a small dog wth them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

8kg isn't a very large dog at all. Still, flying with the bowler would give me palpitations - either he doesn't settle in the cabin; or God forbid some stewardess sticks him in the overhead and he dies (hello United); and as for going in the hold, eek. But it is very common to see dogs in the US, most airports have areas you can bring the dog to do its business, faux fire hydrant and all.

Advertisement