Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Squatters people's park

• 14-11-2019 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed some people have started living in one of the corners of the people's park. There's a tent . A clothes lines and mattresses. It's absolutely unsightly and should not be allowed. They are there now a week . Surely the gardai are aware of it because they are always near that area given it's so close to the court house

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I dont know where to start with your ignorance but ill try anyway:

1. Look up homelessness figures in Ireland today, there are thousands of people out there, many through no fault of their own, who find themselves without a home. Isnt it a terrible shame that their presence in a park upsets you so much that you start a thread on it. How does this affect you exactly- is the mattress not to your liking? Is it something you think they caused to themselves? Why don't you show a little compassion to your fellow human being and offer them a hot cup of coffee or something to eat, anything except your snobby judgment and contempt.

2. The courthouse being nearby has no bearing on this. Do you think homelessness only neatly exists away from Guards and courthouses? Its an epidemic, and you are as likely to find a child eating his dinner from the street as you are people walking their dogs in a local park. You really sound like you need to take a trip outside your tiny little mind.

3. Are you actually a troll as this sounds a bit too stupid and uninformed to be real...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Apologies. An error in judgement on my behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

you are as likely to find a child eating his dinner from the street as you are people walking their dogs in a local park.

You really sound like you need to take a trip outside your tiny little mind.

3. Are you actually a troll as this sounds a bit too stupid and uninformed to be real...?

Homelessness is a huge issue facing society but that first sentence is the sort of nonsense that does more harm than good.

The remaining points you made were quite fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bluess99

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed some people have started living in one of the corners of the people's park. There's a tent . A clothes lines and mattresses. It's absolutely unsightly and should not be allowed. They are there now a week . Surely the gardai are aware of it because they are always near that area given it's so close to the court house

Yes unfortunately homeless is a big issue. I fell very sorry for this person/family that has to take shelter in the park. I've seen a similar situation on Matties Hill longside the Grotto. Shouldn't we be trying to help these people that have fallen on hard times instead of looking down on them and calling the Gaurds.

I hope @ Minime you never fall on hard times like these and have someone call the Gaurds because your mattress can be seen from the Court House, when all your trying to do is take shelter out of this cold weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

bluess99 wrote: »
    Yes unfortunately homeless is a big issue. I fell very sorry for this person/family that has to take shelter in the park. I've seen a similar situation on Matties Hill longside the Grotto. Shouldn't we be trying to help these people that have fallen on hard times instead of looking down on them and calling the Gaurds.

I hope @ Minime you never fall on hard times like these and have someone call the Gaurds because your mattress can be seen from the Court House, when all your trying to do is take shelter out of this cold weather.

The man who lives in that tent next to the grotto on Roanmore park has been offered help many times but he refuses it,he chooses to live the way he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 bluess99

The man who lives in that tent next to the grotto on Roanmore park has been offered help many times but he refuses it,he chooses to live the way he does.

Fair play if he chooses to live that way at least he was offered and knows the help is there.

Must be very very hard to be homeless the past few nights, I have the heating on full and im still freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

We ve decided it's best to largely ignore complex social issues such as homelessness, so on we plough, with nothing really changing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

You should walk along the Grand Canal in Dublin. One tent in the People's Park is tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

BBM77 wrote: »

its an incredibly disturbing story developing, we ve managed to overcome great difficulties, and made ourselves relatively wealthy in doing so, but we somehow cant build accommodation!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 tedbrennan

A third of homeless aren't Irish, most of the rest have addiction or alcohol issues.

tedbrennan wrote: »
    A third of homeless aren't Irish, most of the rest have addiction or alcohol issues.

id be interested to see the actual stats on this? you can be damn sure, a large proportion of our current homeless will indeed have complex psychological issues from their time in 'temporary' accommodation. go ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

The fire brigade had to be called today. That homeless person living in the park started a fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

The fire brigade had to be called today. That homeless person living in the park started a fire

I was walking yesterday in there. Looked like that family of Roma that do be begging up the town. There was some load of rubbish around thete

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

tedbrennan wrote: »

the report that you are refering to says (from focus Ireland)

In Dublin in 2016 and 2017 highlighted that 33% of families entering homelessness are headed by a non-Irish national.

I am sure the 3,873 children appreciate having alcohol or addiction issues

https://pmvtrust.ie/news/facts-and-figures/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

debok wrote: »
    I was walking yesterday in there. Looked like that family of Roma that do be begging up the town. There was some load of rubbish around thete

Should they not be lobbed on A truck and shipped back to where they came from to Rob and beg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

While you'd have to have compassion for someone who might be so stuck for accommodation that they have to pitch up a tent line that, due to genuine homelessness or mental health issues, I'd be interested to know what engagement, if any, the local authorities have with these people.

The People's Park is, as the name suggests, a place for everyone to enjoy. To protect that we all have to respect the space and adhere to certain rules and bye-laws. I'm not allowed to walk my dog off the least for example, which you can do in many other parks. I'm also not allowed to litter or leave my dog's waste behind - which is fair enough because that's required to ensure everyone can enjoy the public space.

This could be a watershed moment - and things could deteriorate quickly. Will teenagers from the Dunmore Road decide to start camping down there on a Friday night to drink cans and have a session, leaving their rubbish behind them? If they're challenged and the say that they're homeless it appears that they probably could get away with it now.

Will we get nature enthusiasts deciding to camp there in the summer when the weather is nice? Again, maybe if they say they're homeless nobody will bother them.

Again, my concern is less with the individuals and more with the local authorities for allowing this - hopefully it's sorted out quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭azimuth17

The squatter in the People's Park was from Dublin I believe and has returned there after intervention by various stakeholders. Many councillors and others have posted on Facebook and elsewhere that council has hostel accommodation arranged and available for homeless people who need it. There is no need for anyone to sleep rough. That does not stop people from doing it for one reason or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Two tents in front of blackfriars. Surely someone could help these people? It looks awful on the city tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Two tents in front of blackfriars. Surely someone could help these people? It looks awful on the city tbh.

How about your good self.....you could talk to them find out a bit about their situation etc. perhaps start with some food blankets and then maybe invite them to stay at your residence etc....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Road-Hog wrote: »
    How about your good self.....you could talk to them find out a bit about their situation etc. perhaps start with some food blankets and then maybe invite them to stay at your residence etc....?

What do you mean? It's not my job to be housing homeless people. Why don't you do it yourself if you want be so virtuous. You probably wouldn't do fckk all either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭dzilla

Do they want help?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

If a gang of young lads were hanging around and didn't move on when asked they'd be done for loitering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Road-Hog wrote: »

As if.
    The government aren't helping these people, never mind us citizens.

Advertisement