Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marriage Story (Noah Baumbach - Netflix / cinema)

• 14-11-2019 7:27pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Out in some cinemas tomorrow, and Netflix on December 6th.

This has been overshadowed somewhat by The Irishman. That's a great film but (whisper it) I think I might even prefer this.

A few thoughts copied and pasted and expanded from another thread:

I sometimes am baffled by Noah Baumbach. He seems to fluctuate between mini masterpieces like Frances Ha and messy quirk-fests. This is in the former category, but without the mini (you lose the mini tag when you go over 120 minutes).

This is possibly his very best film - it feels like a filmmaker definitively arriving at the point a lot of his films were previously working towards (although let me stress I ****ing adore Frances Ha). On one hand it’s a devastating, venomous film about a divorce. When the voices are raised, you better believe they’re raised HARD. It's littered with moments of heartbreak and hopelessness.

But it’s a more sophisticated film than simply a grim-fest. There’s a core compassion for the characters - and Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver are both god-tier - that really means there’s no ‘sides’ to be had. This pair care for each other and their son, and there are flashes of genuine affection that undercut the nastiness.

It’s about privileged people locked in a battle that costs absurd amounts of money (a genius grant is a key plot point), but doesn’t feel as elitist or tone deaf as a Woody Allen film or even some of Baumbach’s own films. Over the years my tolerance for films about the 'personal trials of tribulations of middle/upper class New Yorkers' has decreased quite substantially - that this film is so impactful despite being about the personal trials and tribulations of middle/upper class New Yorkers is IMO a neat trick.

And then it’s often really, laugh out loud funny - including a sequence with a knife that’s just too good.

Shout out to Ireland’s own Robbie Ryan behind the camera - in particular for the way he uses the physical space between the characters to underline important dramatic moments. There’s also these lovely editing flourishes - sometimes a mere second or two of an unusual shot choice that perfectly punctuates a particular emotion in a way that catches you off guard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Another divorce movie to not get excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭mrm

johnny, you have too much positivity for the internet - where is your outrage at something in the move, something that offended you?

You've sold this well in your post - is this a movie that suits the small screen or does it greatly benefit from a cinema visit? I have an armchair butt-groove I need to maintain!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

mrm wrote: »
    is this a movie that suits the small screen or does it greatly benefit from a cinema visit? I have an armchair butt-groove I need to maintain!

Personally, I'm always pro-cinema as it's for me the best way to immerse myself, and I want more people to go see these Netflix releases so they're convinced to give their damn films proper releases :P I think it's a film that looks pretty great in a subtle way, but it's pretty long and relatively small-scale / intimate so I don't think watching at home would be a bad option either.

Apply your own preferences accordingly - I'm hoplessly biased when it comes to that question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

My preference is Dodsworth - the greatest marriage-in-crisis Hollywood movie of the lot. Marriage Story is a lite version for millenials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

It's not often I disagree with Johnny but I really didn't think much of this. I'm a big fan of Baumbach but I'd go as far as saying this is his worst film. Just very dour and the comedic scenes weren't enough to lift the boredom for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Very good film, actors at the top of their game, a story told with great maturity and complexity by all involved. No flashiness or gimmicks needed, this is a raw story delivered with huge believability and to such a skilled level by those behind the camera. Definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Rfrip

So looking forward to this as I love Frances ha and squid and the whale. I loved it. Maybe a little long but the last 20 mins were excellent.
    I love Adam driver though and he’s excellent in this

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

I liked this film very much. Solid performances, even from two actors I tend to skip on. I also realised this is the first Baumbach film I got through till the end (sorry!) Wouldn't be surprised for Adam Driver or Laura Dern to get nominated.

I'm a bit confused though about the hype, ie. people 'sobbing' after watching the film, I suppose it's hyperbole but then again I'm not a child of divorce? and/or have a stone cold heart lol Yes it is sad, but not thaaat sad (ok, maybe I got a bit welled up when Charlie read the list at the end, sure) The scene with the social worker type was hilarious though, and Merritt Wever steals every scene she's in as usual.

Also, I gotta feel for Jennifer Jason Leigh after watching this film, hopefully this had her blessing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

The lead performances are so strong and genuine, overall. It's a tough watch at times. I loved that they chose to include or keep the courtroom sneeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Watched this yesterday whilst struggling with the worst hangover ever. It was sweaty, uncomfortable and squirmy but I tought it was brilliant. Adam Driver is magnetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Watched this last night. The performances were phenomenal, particularly Adam Driver, Laura Dern and Merrit Wever. I expect this to pick up a couple of Oscar nominations for acting and screenplay if nothing else.

A really excellent film. I can't find any faults with it. Robbie Ryan did the cinematography, would be nice to see him among the award winners for this. I do love Adam Driver, since I saw him in Girls way back when the guy was head and shoulders above others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

This was a film that floored me. I hadn't ever heard of it til my missus suggested we watch it last night. I liked the acting, I liked the humour, though I don't think it worked every time. I did love Alan Alda as the old lawyer.

I found the two leads very convincing, especially Adam Driver. I'll admit I didn't expect much of him because I'm not of fan of Girls so I was pleasantly surprised. His character went through quite a dramatic change though I still felt he was being selfish and controlling at the end. Driver pulled it off brilliantly.

The story itself was very good and quite depressing, to an extent, as it shows how innocent things can be twisted and turned when someone wants to. Fully recommend the film.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

25 minutes into this and I have to turn it off.
    Way too American for me; I cannot relate to the characters at all.
    All seems very fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

If award season comes down to the Irishman, Once upon and this I can’t see this not winning. This movie is very involving, great performances and is believable.

I get what a poster says about it being too American but I don’t think it falls into being OTT.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's superbly acted but it is very American - hard to relate in a country where we've only had divorce since 1996.

The bits with the
    singing
    seemed like huge non-sequiters.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've just started this, and think I'm adjusting to the slow pace. There is a very long take in the lawyer's office, where Nicole (SJ) talks for 3-4 minutes non-stop, with "no makeup" (yeah, I know) except for the lipstick she puts on there. Not over-the-top, I just tend to notice that sort of thing.

It took me a minute to place the actress playing Sandra, Nicole's mother, then it hit me: "by the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?" :p

PS at the end: some bits were too "on the nose", such as the aforementioned singing and Charlie's Halloween costume.
    The Invisible Man, you don't say?
    One part that had me cringing, not sure if it was supposed to be funny:
    when Charlie is talking to the social worker checking on Henry, he takes out the keychain knife, shows how he would pretend to cut himself ... and in the process, actually cuts himself. In front of a social worker. If they had gone to court, that would have been used against him.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭mrm

I sat down over the c-work season break to watch this on the OP's recommendation (I don't give enough time to movies/ TV anymore) hoping his movie recommendations serve me as well as his game recommendations. I found this to be a beautiful movie, quite uplifting for such a difficult topic (it's not as bruising as 'A Separation' or '5x2'). I think this was in part due to the fact that the movie never lost sight of both divorcing parties original reasons for getting together and the adjustments that occur in that relationship when a child is involved, that resulted from their joint efforts despite the fact that they personally have differing and separate requirements from life/ careers.

The scene when Johannson and Driver argue their standpoints to each other is brilliant - viceral, uncomfortable (even within my own living room), honest (though manipulative). Standout acting from both (actually great performances from all involved throughout the movie). Some nice editing that made it feel at times like a play, focusing solely on the in frame actor (and in some other scenes out of frame audible actors) and somewhat ignoring the recipient.

An enjoyable (seems a strange term to be using for such a topic) exposure of a marriage dissolving under the personal journey point of an actress trying to find her character in life and a director seeking to maintain control of all he can. Just delaying now for a sufficient time for my memory to deplete so that I can watch it again. Cheers OP for the recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I enjoyed this film.

I probably won’t watch it ever again. It’s one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I enjoyed this film.

I probably won’t watch it ever again. It’s one of those.

I quite enjoyed it, but yeah, won't watch it again because of its length and subject-matter (the (almost inevitable) trauma of divorce), despite there being chuckles and guffaws elicited. Would still recommend it for the acting (within a well directed film). Adam Driver was just excellent, with some really good turns from a host of others. Cinematography was very good as well; lots of attention to detail, heightening the mood where necessary.
    Actually, now that I've thought it through, I might just watch it again sometime in the future. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement