Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Nightingale (from director of The Babadook)

• 22-05-2019 8:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Jennifer Kent's next is a revenge thriller set in a British penal colony in 1825 Tasmania. Out in the US in August. No UK/Irish release date yet. Reviews from the festival circuit are extremely positive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

stuckman gives a great review

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

:eek: Stuckmann:
    will absolutely inspire other filmmakers to try to make a movie especially if they think their movie might be a little too ****ed up to get made bacause it's probably not more ****ed up than this one .. **manic laugh** .. Jesus Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Culchie_85

Clare, a young Irish convict, chases a British officer through the rugged Tasmanian wilderness and is bent on revenge for a terrible act of violence the man committed against her family. On the way, she enlists the services of Aboriginal tracker Billy, who is marked by trauma from his own violence-filled past.

Due 29/11/2019

This looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really amazing film. Pretty brutal in spots, not for the faint hearted for sure.

I have to say though I really find it baffling the decision to film in 4:3, I struggle to find any credible logic behind it.

Wow thats a strange choice. Especially in this day and age.

I am looking forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭brevity

I love a good revenge film so will try and see this

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭El Duda

I've been waiting 5 years for this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

very good but very hard to watch in parts

El Duda wrote: »
    I've been waiting 5 years for this

I heard the buzz about Babadook when it was doing the rounds in film festivals and didn't buy into it. 99% of modern "horrors" are terrible. I dampened my expectations.

I then realised it was released and decided to watch it very hungover by myself on a Sunday morning.

Worst. Mistake. Ever. :eek:

Great movie though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Great flick..

One thing I've learned for sure about Jennifer Kent from this and the Babadook is that she really hates screaming/crying children :pac::(:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Watched this. A very sad story :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Fvck that was bleak, and violent.
    Given the content, it was hard going, but the determination of the lead had to be followed through to the end. Jennifer Kent also wrote this, and she has a nice talent for slightly skewing expectations, rather than subverting them. Everything about this is believable, and the lead- Irish actress Aisling Franciosi- is fantastic in it. Supporting cast are all also great.
    This is a tough watch though. It's not just a revenge film; it's a searing indictment of the dehumanisation process of colononialization, in this case via the viciousness of an ambitious lower echelon officer, as well as the colonizers proper, rather than the standard trope of the evil commanders of empire issuing orders. It's an uncompromising film, but a fantastic piece of realistic and compelling storytelling.

I haven't watched Babadook, as I'm not a horror fan, but after watching this, I will most definitely check it out. Jennifer Kent is a real talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

There is also another thread here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Homelander wrote: »
    There is also another thread here

Thanks, merged.

Advertisement