Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

E scooters and space cadets

• 10-11-2019 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hello ,
    I'm traveling in busy traffic last week coming from ballymount and as I come to walkinstown roundabout ,there's a space cadet on a scooter essentially navigating the total roundabout.
    He cut three Lanes and proceeded on the inner part of the roundabout , he resembled a fly hovering a ultra Violet light in a butcher shop.

Seriously , some of these guys have absolutely no road experience and are a danger to all road users ,I can't say including themselves because they cannot be road users.

Hopefully we come up with something before they get genuine ebike users a blanket ban on all battery operated equipment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Hello ,
    I'm traveling in busy traffic last week coming from ballymount and as I come to walkinstown roundabout ,there's a space cadet on a scooter essentially navigating the total roundabout.
    He cut three Lanes and proceeded on the inner part of the roundabout , he resembled a fly hovering a ultra Violet light in a butcher shop.

Seriously , some of these guys have absolutely no road experience and are a danger to all road users ,I can't say including themselves because they cannot be road users.

Hopefully we come up with something before they get genuine ebike users a blanket ban on all battery operated equipment.

Yeah it's the guys with the kinetic energy equivalent of a jogger that are a danger to all road users

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

We have reached peak motorist hysteria when somebody on a shaggin battery powered scooter is a danger to ALL roadusers

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

donvito99 wrote: »
    We have reached peak motorist hysteria when somebody on a shaggin battery powered scooter is a danger to ALL roadusers

Some of these lads are on footpaths and cycle Lanes , no regard. I was on my bike and nearly collided with one. Some of them have no regard for any road users ,pedestrians ,cyclists , motor cyclists , cars , trucks , buses and their own safety.
    I've a wide view on road users , not individuals

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Some of these lads are on footpaths and cycle Lanes , no regard. I was on my bike and nearly collided with one. Some of them have no regard for any road users ,pedestrians ,cyclists , motor cyclists , cars , trucks , buses and their own safety.
    I've a wide view on road users , not individuals

I was nearly selected to play county and then I nearly won the lotto and then I was nearly a Hollywood star

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

I was nearly selected to play county and then I nearly won the lotto and the I was nearly a Hollywood star

You nearly had me there ,class

• Advertisement

I don't see how a dangerous scootist is more dangerous than a dangerous cyclist.

Certainly nowhere near as dangerous as dangerous motorists.

And yet who do I see the guards going after...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Long past that...:)

As it currently stands,all we are waiting for is the,now inevitable,fatality involving an e-scooter user being killed by a Truck/Bus or car.

The combination of speed,lack of physical movement,and inconspicuity applied directly atop an already overburdened road design system,will soon justify the "Hysteria" :(

With every fatal Road Traffic Incident costing in excess of €2,000,000,any means of reducing such events,even if thought hysterical,should be encouraged ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AlekSmart wrote: »
    As it currently stands,all we are waiting for is the,now inevitable,fatality involving an e-scooter user being killed by a Truck/Bus or car.
    sounds like we should do something about these dangerous 'car' things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

sounds like we should do something about these dangerous 'car' things.

We already are. My missus just got a newer car. Not anything particularly fancy or big, but it has a feature called 'autonomous braking'. This will automatically apply the brakes without any driver input if it senses an imminent collision, whether it be another vehicle, or a pedestrian.

Tell me, is there any scooter, bicycle, or any other 2 wheeled or self propelled vehicle with such a feature?

pablo128 wrote: »
    We already are. My missus just got a newer car. Not anything particularly fancy or big, but it has a feature called 'autonomous braking'. This will automatically apply the brakes without any driver input if it senses an imminent collision, whether it be another vehicle, or a pedestrian.

Tell me, is there and scooter, bicycle, or any other 2 wheeled or self propelled vehicle with such a feature?

Isn't it telling that we now need to make cars that will stop automatically because their drivers won't

• Advertisement

Isn't it telling that we now need to make cars that will stop automatically because their drivers won't

Isn't it telling that cars are available with this feature, because some dopey cyclists, pedestrians and other road users can't mind themselves or go through red lights etc.

As it happens, most of this model of car doesn't have this feature, just the highest spec ones. I guess you better hope you cycle out in front of my missus and not someone else who couldn't quite stretch to the top spec.

Isn't it telling that cars are available with this feature, because some dopey cyclists, pedestrians and other road users can't mind themselves or go through red lights etc.

As it happens, most of this model of car doesn't have this feature, just the highest spec ones. I guess you better hope you cycle out in front of my missus and not someone else who couldn't quite stretch to the top spec.

We have a thread about the supposed danger of e-scooters and yet 150ish people are still dying on the roads every year thanks to, you guessed it, your missus' cohort in their cars.

That's not to mention all the traffic your missus is causing our cities. Get her an bicycle, e-bike or e-scooter and suddenly there's no need for high spec features to make up for shoddy Irish drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And they they still can't do that either! As for the e-scooter thing, some effort ends to be made to regulate their use and where they can and can't go. Seems users are just making it up. As a road user they don't bother me, despite my own personal views about the activity, and any encounters as a pedestrian, to me have shown user caution.

We have a thread about the supposed danger of e-scooters and yet 150ish people are still dying on the roads every year thanks to, you guessed it, your missus' cohort in their cars.

That's not to mention all the traffic your missus is causing our cities. Get her an bicycle, e-bike or e-scooter and suddenly there's no need for high spec features to make up for shoddy Irish drivers.
    Yeah and tack on a trailer for the sprogs or shopping!

We are not peasants who have to cycle to work. We like to travel in comfort, with the heating/aircon on, dry as a bone, and not soaked in sweat before we begin our days work.

I did it for long enough when I was younger. It's not for me anymore.

is_that_so wrote: »
    And they they still can't do that either! As for the e-scooter thing, some effort ends to be made to regulate their use and where they can and can't go. Seems users are just making it up. As a road user they don't bother me, despite my own personal views about the activity, and any encounters as a pedestrian, to me have shown user caution.

I was in Spain this year walking along a footpath, when 2 lads on these scooters came up behind us blasting their horns for us to move.

Cheeky little fcuks.

I was in Spain this year walking along a footpath, when 2 lads on these scooters came up behind us blasting their horns for us to move.

Cheeky little fcuks.
    "Que te den por culo!" is the response! :pac:

We are not peasants who have to cycle to work. We like to travel in comfort, with the heating/aircon on, dry as a bone, and not soaked in sweat before we begin our days work.

I did it for long enough when I was younger. It's not for me anymore.

Jaysis it's not wonder we are the most congested city in Western Europe.

Ban the bikes, scooters and mandatory high spec imported car to go everywhere. Problem solved

Jaysis it's not wonder we are the most congested city in Western Europe.

Ban the bikes, scooters and mandatory high spec imported car to go everywhere. Problem solved

You must be under the illusion that Ireland is some sort of cycling Utopia. It certainly isn't. Holland is. I have lived there. The most remote country town there has proper cycling facilities. However the whole country is completely flat, to the extent that most bicycles you would see in everyday use are single speed. 49 cc mopeds are allowed in cycle lanes, and don't need insurance.

However these vehicles and bicycles stay in the cycle lanes, and everyone else stays out of them. They also have right of way at junctions. Everyone is on the same page.

In Ireland every road user is lumped onto the same piece of tarmac. Cyclists won't use cycle lanes, scooters should be, but aren't, and zero policing of any of it.

So the crux of my argument is that we won't be giving up our cars any time soon.

It could be "telling" you many things,but in life we are well capable of filtering out the stuff we don't wish to hear.

Human nature plays a very large part in our various behaviours,and finding a way to control and manage it is an inherent part of developed societies everywhere.

This stands for scooterists,cyclists,pilots,drivers and high-wire trapeze artists equally.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/6/20951385/uber-self-driving-crash-death-reason-ntsb-dcouments

In the midst of much of the apparent quest to bring society back to a quieter,less frantic way of life,where gentlemen doffed their hats to ladies,and children were seen and not heard,the reality is of our roads being FAR safer than at any point in our history,in spite of there being far more drivers and vehicles than ever.

We now have an average life expectancy of 70+ compared to barely making it into the 40's in the Pennyfarthing era,yet we rarely see this reality publicised.

Society is doing a lot correctly,but occasionally it has to go that extra millimetre,such as reminding a nippy ElectroScooteriste of the potential drawbacks of their nippybess.

Some societies though,have a bit less patience than our own....

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/trundling-trouble-singapore-targets-e-scooters-accidents-050749889--finance.html
    E-scooters were already banned from Singapore's roads but they are now prohibited on all pavements and other footpaths, and can only be used on cycle paths and a network of routes connecting parks.

To start with, most riders caught breaking the rule will be given a warning but from January, offenders face being jailed for up to three months and fined.

Ah ye can't be doing that.....:eek:

Ride on,as Christy Moore might warble....:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement

You must be under the illusion that Ireland is some sort of cycling Utopia. It certainly isn't. Holland is. I have lived there. The most remote country town there has proper cycling facilities. However the whole country is completely flat, to the extent that most bicycles you would see in everyday use are single speed. 49 cc mopeds are allowed in cycle lanes, and don't need insurance.

However these vehicles and bicycles stay in the cycle lanes, and everyone else stays out of them. They also have right of way at junctions. Everyone is on the same page.

In Ireland every road user is lumped onto the same piece of tarmac. Cyclists won't use cycle lanes, scooters should be, but aren't, and zero policing of any of it.

So the crux of my argument is that we won't be giving up our cars any time soon.

There's no crux...cos,to most disinterested observers,there's no arguement.

Currently,Dublin City Council has some Professionally qualified Roads Engineers,Planners and such like who are,apparently,fully prepared to design or approve situations such as exist along Leeson St,featuring a peak flow of an 11-14 Tonne Bus every 2 minutes interacting with customers on the pavement whilst attempting to cater for/reason with a stream of cyclists deliberately placed between Bus and Pavement...wtf :confused: .

It is as if Civic Officies is run by a McMurphy like executive,who may only be feigning insanity...or then again,perhaps really IS insane ?....the answer can only be arrived at after first inspecting DCC's substantial catalogue of such locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Just an opinion but I can't see how our roads are up to spec. which allows for the small diameter wheels of E-scooters. I regularly see potholes, missing shore covers, raised manhole covers, ridges due to subsidence - all of which are capable of sending these mini-wheeled vehicles and their pilots head over heels. That's apart from balance issues - quite a few wobbly E-scooterists out there !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

AlekSmart wrote: »
    In the midst of much of the apparent quest to bring society back to a quieter,less frantic way of life,where gentlemen doffed their hats to ladies,and children were seen and not heard,the reality is of our roads being FAR safer than at any point in our history,in spite of there being far more drivers and vehicles than ever.

At some point horse and carriages gave way to the motor car as it was more convenient for people, despite the obvious drawbacks when it came to safety, noise pollution, air pollution etc.

Public transport infrastructure in this country is full of gaps and it seems scooters are plugging that gap. The safety drawbacks seem to be vastly vastly over-stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Stark wrote: »
    At some point horseless carriages gave way to the motor car as it was more convenient for people, despite the obvious drawbacks when it came to safety.

Public transport infrastructure in this country is full of gaps and it seems scooters are plugging that gap. The safety drawbacks seem to be vastly vastly over-stated.

A horseless carriage IS a motor car!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Stark wrote: »
    At some point horseless carriages gave way to the motor car as it was more convenient for people, despite the obvious drawbacks when it came to safety.

Cars are regulated. Electric scooters and the “people” who use them are not.
    At the moment they are illegal and should not be on a road or footpath. They are leaving themselves open to been arrested or worse.
    My child was hit by one of these clowns but I better say no more, eh mods?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

A horseless carriage IS a motor car!

Oops, horse and carriage I meant. Post edited.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

At the moment they are illegal and should not be on a road or footpath. They are leaving themselves open to been arrested or worse.
    arrested? i don't think it's a criminal offence to use one, but a civil offence. not sure what the 'or worse' means though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

arrested? i don't think it's a criminal offence to use one, but a civil offence. not sure what the 'or worse' means though.

So you agree it’s an offense then?

You can use your imagination on what might be worse.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Just to be clear here:

Anybody advocating for people to use of electric scooters at the moment should be clear that such requires everything an electric moped requires including motorcycle helmet, licence, third party insurance, indicators, motor tax etc.

You should not be comparing them to being as easy to get on from a legal perspective as a bicycle or electric bicycle.

Until the law is changed, this is not open to debate.

Just to note: I know I’m annoying both sides here — some people think it’s harmless advocating for current use of motor vehicles without following the law and others think these posts should be deleted because I delete posts advocating assault on scooters users. This is a compromise.

— moderator

• Advertisement

So you agree it’s an offense then?

You can use your imagination on what might be worse.
    i don't think it's a matter of 'agreeing' per se - it *is* an offence whether i agree or not, if you follow me.

don't leave it to me to guess what you're hinting at, as i am assuming you mean physical violence, but i also assume you wouldn't be that idiotic.

Advertisement