Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mandalorian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Culchie_85

Seriously cannot wait to watch this.

It is launching today with Disney+

Pity Disney+ isn't in UK/Ireland until next March so use your imaginations ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: Good intro! Can live without knowing the animated series but knowing them helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

So good. Didn’t love the music but that’s the only niggle.

It was pure Filoni in the direction. He’s ready to step up to this level now clearly.

So many questions.

The Mandalorians
    !
    THE MANDALORIANS
    !!!!!

ahem.. er yeah.. I might have some questions I guess

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm not even going to discuss it with spoilers but just to say, loved the music, settings, grittiness, effects....everything.
    And my daughters nearly exploded at the end of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

slave1 wrote: »
    I'm not even going to discuss it with spoilers but just to say, loved the music, settings, grittiness, effects....everything.
    And my daughters nearly exploded at the end of it
    It was a good moment for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Acosta

I enjoyed it enough, but jury is still out, Will take another episode or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

BOO for the name reveal.

Like people referring to him as the Mando with no name

Varik wrote: »
    BOO for the name reveal.

Like people referring to him as the Mando with no name

I like that he’s revealed it.

And even after he did. The fvck nugget click bait merchants at Collider published an article ‘proving’ the mando is actually Boba Fett.

You just can’t win anymore with these bullish!t outlets infecting the space with utterly fake news.

• Advertisement

I like that he’s revealed it.

And even after he did.
    The fvck nugget click bait merchants at Collider published an article ‘proving’ the mando is actually Boba Fett.

You just can’t win anymore with these bullish!t outlets infecting the space with utterly fake news.

I'm a bit surprised you'd be the one to spoil it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So watched this last night and have to say it was very good. Much better than I thought it would be. Be interesting to see how it progresses.
    As for the ending I kind of guessed that myself. Be interesting to see what happens next.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The Rocky music is his actual theme song. This is... acceptable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Culchie_85

Watched it last night, I really enjoyed it.

It will take an episode or two more to form a proper opinion on it but I like what I see so far.
    Werner Herzog, the door scene in the opening, the bounty bot shooting in every and all directions, the mounted gun scene were all fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I was kinda sorry to see
    IG-11 get whacked. In the short time he was on screen, he really grew on me. Was thinking there might be a good partnership to be had there with the Mandalorian.

Also, I really hope that
    Yoda thing at the end of the episode is not actually Yoda, though. That would kill the show for me I think.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I was kinda sorry to see
    IG-11 get whacked. In the short time he was on screen, he really grew on me. Was thinking there might be a good partnership to be had there with the Mandalorian.

Also, I really hope that
    Yoda thing at the end of the episode is not actually Yoda, though. That would kill the show for me I think.

Don’t worry it’s not him.
    hes dead at this stage. But the magic is we’ve never heard what species he is or what planet he’s from. And the only two we’ve only seen him and Yaddle, both powerful force users so probably safe to assume the baby will be too. If indeed it’s a baby. I’m thinking that was a bit of a bait n switch and he’s probably further developed than we think. Lucas was happy to leave Yoda a mystery but they consulted him and he was onset so..

Solid second episode!

Loved that he’s not overpowered and invincible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭liamtech

Im really liking this so far - a real treat!

Im a massive star trek fan and in terms of TV Sci Fi, Trek and the Expanse were it for me - Didnt expect much from this - but it has serious possibilities!

AND we have a weekly injection of New Star Wars each week between now and the Rise of Skywalker!!!!!!

HOW COOL IS THAT!!!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Great to see people excited about this. And it’s delivering too.

Therell be a few regular complainers here ‘why isn’t it all like the originals it’ll never be!’

This episode takes that argument and goes yeah that’s bull and finds the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Good god looks like I’m in the minority.

It’s awful. Really awful. I’ve seen both episodes.

I’m just going to spoiler my whole post from here.

Acting
    The guy in the lead is dreadful. He might be a good actor elsewhere but stick a mask on him and he can’t act. Acting behind a mask is hard. But put a lead character alongside other masked characters such as V or Darth Vadar and you will see what I mean. We have zero indication of Mando’s emotion. It’s makes it impossible to form an emotional connection to him.

Now before you say anything, strip away anything you know about Star Wars and you have no idea who this character is and what the hell they are doing. This clearly shows that fandom is carrying our attachment to this character because he looks like Boba Fett.

Plot & Narrative
    The show suffers genre envy. I said that 5 minutes in to the first episode and it’s an even more apparent now. The show doesn’t know what it is. It’s as if all 4 writers were locked in separate rooms and told to collaborate on a script.

The show also suffers from its episode length. It’s trying to do everything and be cinematic in a 30 minute slot. It’s not working. The Star Wars cultural references feel forced which is preventing the show from stepping away from what it was trying to do (I.E. be completely separate from the OT and the Skywalker saga). An infinite number of planets in the universe and we are back on Tattoine. This feels like a fan film with a budget.

At times it feels like a parody of Bringing Up Baby, or 3 Men and a Little Baby, or Raising Arizona.

And as for baby Yoda. I threw my lightsaber at the screen for that reveal. Does it get better in episode 2? No. It suffers from most kids films and shows like this - suddenly baby has an adult brain and can intervene in dire situations.

Summary
    This show won’t age well and is largely unmemorable. No doubt an episode 9 reference will he show horned at some stage to make the show feel relevant to fans. But alas, a turd by any other name is still a turd.

You will still watch it though.

Just to pick up on the mando and his motivation at least. Something people seem to have missed. He’s in a clan and gives all his bounty money to the priestess / armourer for the other orphans.
    I’d say he’s far more human and varied given how he reacts with the asset and the droid and the guy that helps him than say Boba Fett who who’d have been one dimensional just bad guy.

Interesting take though FP. First negative one I’ve seen of it.
    Hang in there. There’s loads more characters we’ve yet to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im actually pleasantly surprised by this, the world feels lived in and characters feel real.

Also love in the first episode that the Stormtroopers are hired guns after the fall of the Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Vicxas wrote: »
    Im actually pleasantly surprised by this, the world feels lived in and characters feel real.

Also love in the first episode that the Stormtroopers are hired guns after the fall of the Empire.

Liked this two and the aging on the armor, dunno if it's canon in this but in the legends storylines. Think stormtroopers died off relatively young due to their accelerated growth.

Episode 3 blew my mind. What a great episode.

Loved it,
    so glad he went back
    !

So happy he did too. I thought something like this would happen but in ep 5 or 6.

They raised the stakes so much earlier than expected. No idea what they’re gonna do now.

So happy he did too. I thought something like this would happen but in ep 5 or 6.

They raised the stakes so much earlier than expected. No idea what they’re gonna do now.

This is literally now Firefly, but set in the Star Wars universe.

Vicxas wrote: »
    This is literally now Firefly, but set in the Star Wars universe.

I don’t know that show but wasn’t it based on han and the falcon?

• Advertisement

I don’t know that show but wasn’t it based on han and the falcon?

Possibly, if so we've come full circle :D

Advertisement