Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas food in Supermarkets – Spotting and reviews

• 12-11-2019 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Thought it would be interesting to share discussion/reviews of Supermarket party and celebration food.

An opportunity to let others know what they have spotted and what is worth trying.

I browsed through the offerings from Lidl/Alsi/Tesco/M&S/Dunnes earlier and it is very impressive the variety. A few of the sweet items that caught my eye were:

Pannettone – These seem to be very popular this year with lots of variations – Vanilla, Choc-Orange

Mince Pies – I can’t recall seeing so many different flavours - Puff pastry, Salted Caramel, Gin, Back Forrest., Orange

Looking forward to hearing some reviews of what others are have tried/looking forward to

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I tried the salted caramel mince pies from Aldi.
    They were only ok - quite thick pastry with an almondy crumble topping (with gold glitter that can only be seen in a certain light!) and I've no real memory of what the mincemeat filling tasted of only to say it was very sweet and didn't taste particularly Christmassy (light on the spice maybe?).
    I'm not sure which element of it was supposed to involve salted caramel but it passed me by anyway.
    5 out of 10, wouldn't bother getting them again.
    Kind of want to try the Black Forest ones though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Dark chocolate covered gingerbread men in Lidl - very disappointed - more of an orange flavour than a ginger flavour and was hoping for more of a biscuit texture than a cakey one. But if you like the latter, give them a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

https://www.aldi.ie/c/groceries/christmas-food?q=%3Apopular&page=8

All the Christmas food on offer from Aldi this Christmas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Dark chocolate covered gingerbread men in Lidl - very disappointed - more of an orange flavour than a ginger flavour and was hoping for more of a biscuit texture than a cakey one. But if you like the latter, give them a try!

That sounds like something I'd love!

Lidls rum/raisin marzipan bars are extremely delicious.
    Aldi's ordinary Holly Lane Christmas puddings* are an absolutely perfect classic christmas pud and only cost about 5 euro for a big one.

*as long as they are the same ones as they had for last two years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Lidl have these Favorina chocolate balls which are amazing, in a blue cracker shaped cardboard tube.
    Can't find a pic online of the milk ones i usually get but these are the dark choc ones.

23008672843_832a6bd2b2_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'd promised myself not to acknowledge christmas until the 1st of December, but I caved in two days ago. Husband had been to Lidl and brought back a pack of the mini stollen bites - the ones with marzipan filling. And what can I say - I hope they never change that recipe!
    I'm usually not big on shop-bought christmas sweets (my inner German insists it should all be home-made), but I'll make an exception for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'd promised myself not to acknowledge christmas until the 1st of December, but I caved in two days ago. Husband had been to Lidl and brought back a pack of the mini stollen bites - the ones with marzipan filling. And what can I say - I hope they never change that recipe!
    I'm usually not big on shop-bought christmas sweets (my inner German insists it should all be home-made), but I'll make an exception for these.

My shop after today will be just before Advent Sunday... nothing of Christmas here except the bells etc I am knitting...

Been looking up all my favourites but one thing I will not be able to get from sv is cranberry cheese with cranberries. ah well...The cheese selection everywhere is impressive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Aldi have the stollen in, I bought mine yesterday because they usually disappear quickly. This year I'm trying the one with dried apple instead of mixed peel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Aldi had their christmas food since mid-October. Felt a little bit guilty buying some but it is tasty...

The "ordinary" Holly Lane stuff is much nicer than their Specially selected stuff I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Dunnes All Butter Puff Pastry mince pies (in a quite cute red cardboard box) are another "meh".
    The mincemeat itself is tasty, in fairness, but the pastry is a bit claggy when eaten at room temperature, and as tough as old boots when heated in the oven for a few minutes.
    And they're made in the Netherlands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I normally make Christmas puddings but this year just don't have the time (or interest) - any recommendations for puddings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I normally make Christmas puddings but this year just don't have the time (or interest) - any recommendations for puddings?

Aldi's Holly Lane all the dang way!
    https://www.aldi.ie/christmas-pudding/p/056652005311800

We've had them for the last two christmases because no-one felt like making one, and they are absolutely as good as homemade, if you like a classic type of pudding. They do mini versions using the same recipe, so you could try one of them as a trial run?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

B0jangles wrote: »
    Aldi's Holly Lane all the dang way!
    https://www.aldi.ie/christmas-pudding/p/056652005311800

We've had them for the last two christmases because no-one felt like making one, and they are absolutely as good as homemade, if you like a classic type of pudding. They do mini versions using the same recipe, so you could try one of them as a trial run?

I LOVE the mini ones ha always have one as breakfast dessert Xmas morning :D but I might buy one soon to do this trail run..............to be on the safe side!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lidl have these Favorina chocolate balls which are amazing, in a blue cracker shaped cardboard tube.
    Can't find a pic online of the milk ones i usually get but these are the dark choc ones.

23008672843_832a6bd2b2_b.jpg

The green ones, like noisette, are yum, they are in a bag, about 12 in it for €1.49

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

vicwatson wrote: »
    The green ones, like noisette, are yum, they are in a bag, about 12 in it for €1.49

I bought them yesterday, can't wait to try them :DI also bought a mini pudding, i will come back and let you all know how good it is after i have demolished it ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Any recommendations for the best Mince Pies? I think its close enough to Xmas to but a box now

Avoca do amazing ones but as with everything in there, very pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Watching special offers... Housebound with fortnightly deliveries from Supervalu who have an amazing web site

The tubs of Roses etc are 3 for E10 just today and tomorrow and this is the day the ferry takes the shoppers over so I have of course emailed! Although not my usual day..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Any recommendations for the best Mince Pies? I think its close enough to Xmas to but a box now

Avoca do amazing ones but as with everything in there, very pricey
    I live in Continental Europe and the only brand of mince pies I have seen here so far is Walkers. (I do like their shortbread, although I also liked M&S, when I could still get it )
    So far, I have tried the Walkers Spiced Orange and Cranberry Mince Pies, and they are yummy, although maybe too spicy for some.
    I also got a box of their "plain" mince pies, have not opened it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Looking forward to buying some venison and wild boar steaks in Lidl, they were delicious in other years so can recommend

Advertisement