Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dunmurry Springs GC closed 12.11.19

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Damn fine course and they acknowledged the poor layout with the new routing a few years back, glad I got to play it a few times...shame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Unfortunately so, email went out to the members today.

Looks like the banks sold on their loan book and withdrew their credit line. Tough time of year with no real operating capital to loose even a small credit line.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Very Sad, not sure of the amount of members they had anecdotally hearing it was around 100 fulls, Millicent, Newbridge and Cill Dara would be options locally for members looking to continue playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaveyLad

Very Sad, not sure of the amount of members they had anecdotally hearing it was around 100 fulls, Millicent, Newbridge and Cill Dara would be options locally for members looking to continue playing.

We'd approx 185 at last count and to say we're all shocked and saddened at the announcement is an understatement, just a horrible sad day for us as members and for the lads who have lost their livelihood

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Is it really a surprise to see it close? The location wasn’t great and when the location isn’t great the course needs to be exceptional. It didn’t seem like the course was anything special to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Thought it was a nice course for the most part, 1 or 2 holes excepted. Seems to me that it was struggling from day one sadly, clubhouse build was delayed for a few years if memory serves. Ambitious project that was carried out at a really unfortunate time given everything that happened since it was opened. Actually surprised its lasted this long.

Hard luck on the owners who looked to have tried very hard to make a go of it and obviously the staff, greenkeepers and members. Have to wonder at the abruptness of the closure however. Likely a lot of avenues were exhausted in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

DaveyLad wrote: »
    We'd approx 185 at last count and to say we're all shocked and saddened at the announcement is an understatement, just a horrible sad day for us as members and for the lads who have lost their livelihood

Sorry to hear this. It must be a terrible time for all the members and employees. I can only imagine how you felt when the news broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaveyLad

Sorry to hear this. It must be a terrible time for all the members and employees. I can only imagine how you felt when the news broke.

Thanks, Came out of nowhere really, we knew things were tough but we (mens club committee) were not aware it was close the doors tough, certainly not at no notice, we were a few members short of where we wanted to be but had plans in place to try and increase things going forward, wasn't to be unfortunately. It's the family who owned the club and land and the staff, especially the head greenkeeper who I feel it for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Thought it was a nice course for the most part, 1 or 2 holes excepted. Seems to me that it was struggling from day one sadly, clubhouse build was delayed for a few years if memory serves. Ambitious project that was carried out at a really unfortunate time given everything that happened since it was opened. Actually surprised its lasted this long.

Hard luck on the owners who looked to have tried very hard to make a go of it and obviously the staff, greenkeepers and members. Have to wonder at the abruptness of the closure however. Likely a lot of avenues were exhausted in the end.

I'd agree with that. Unfortunate timing and the delay in building the clubhouse didn't help its cause. I enjoyed playing it and played the course on one of the Boards outings.

And with West Waterford up for sale (and no guarantee it'll survive) that's two fun courses gone that few people ever talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

This might be the perfect opportunity for the members to buy it cheap? The land can’t be turned back into agriculture for 7 years and it’s not a great site for housing. So not many options for it.

I liked the track but any course with 180 odd members is not going anyway, it’s just not creating enough cash for labor, materials or machinery. I played it a few times and each time you could see the drop in quality.

It really suffered from bad timing in relation to its launch, during better times this course would have found its market.

I would be sad to see it go, but we’ve to many damn course in this country, but this was a good track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I've a friend who's a member there and I always enjoyed playing the course. I'm very sorry and sad to see it go

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Read that AIB Sold the loan to a Vulture fund, that makes my blood boil. We had to bail these guys out and this is how they repay us?

Sorry to all involved in DS, shame to see any course closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

Very sad to see it closed. I live in Newbridge and hadn't yet played it, though I was planning to play it next year.

Hopefully the local clubs - Curragh, Newbridge, Cill Dara, Millicent - will be welcoming to their members, e.g. by not charging a joining levy or demanding they jump through silly hoops to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hallowed

I'd agree with that. Unfortunate timing and the delay in building the clubhouse didn't help its cause. I enjoyed playing it and played the course on one of the Boards outings.

And with West Waterford up for sale (and no guarantee it'll survive) that's two fun courses gone that few people ever talk about.

West Waterford was a actually doing OK. 50% owner wants out and banks won't finance other 50% owner to buy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

Sad to see any course go under, especially when it seems they didn't have a lot of choice in the matter, totally agree with Charlie above - banks and vulture funds make my blood boil.

Would the membership have been predominately local ? If so, there's a good choice of clubs in the general ish area and maybe groups of members who wish to still golf with each other would be able to strike deals......

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

Always a challenging course, with some great holes, the lakes and water placement i found as good as anywhere in the country, and as a member of Cill Dara have been involved in the inter club Cross Cup we played against Dunmurray each year with the top players from the golfer of the year rankings and some provincial towns matches too

I suppose the door is open for a new investor if the price is right which would be tough on the current owners after all their efforts but it has worked with other clubs in similar situations over the years

Cill Dara has opened its doors to dunmurray members to play there at no charge for the rest of 2019 and it would be good to see the other neighbouring clubs do the same to give the dunmurray folks fair food for thought as to where they might join in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Read that AIB Sold the loan to a Vulture fund, that makes my blood boil. We had to bail these guys out and this is how they repay us?

Sorry to all involved in DS, shame to see any course closing.

You'd be bailing them out again if they kept non performing loans on the books.
    A so called vulture fund is just a fund like any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    You'd be bailing them out again if they kept non performing loans on the books.
    A so called vulture fund is just a fund like any other.
    There's a balance where it becomes a decision as to whether it's worth the resources to keep managing it or just cut your losses and sell it off. At least AIB are paying the money back, albeit very slowly. B of I have paid back all bail out money with interest.

According to reports the same vulture fund has bought the loans for Seapoint and two other courses in Leinster. I'm sure there are some very nervous members having heard that news about their club. It's never nice to hear of clubs in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Unfortunately I think that there are a lot more going to go countrywide.
    Im based in Cork and there are serious concerns that one of the 'main 4 city clubs' is in really serious trouble on the back of an extravagant clubhouse build. All office/bar staff gone or going and bar given to the caterer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dbu wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think that there are a lot more going to go countrywide.
    Im based in Cork and there are serious concerns that one of the 'main 4 city clubs' is in really serious trouble on the back of an extravagant clubhouse build. All office/bar staff gone or going and bar given to the caterer.

Is this a club that apparently required a levy from all members?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Mushy wrote: »
    Is this a club that apparently required a levy from all members?
    Yes, a few months back and that was just to keep ticking over until year end. I have a good few friends members there and they are extremely worried.

According to reports the same vulture fund has bought the loans for Seapoint and two other courses in Leinster. I'm sure there are some very nervous members having heard that news about their club. It's never nice to hear of clubs in trouble.

Why would they be nervous? If the clubs are viable there is no issue. They just continue to repay their loan just to a different lender.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Love Seapoint. It’s my “lucky course “ as I always have a good score there.
    Would not like to see it close but it’s in serious trouble I am hearing.

Anyone know how many clubs have closed since the recession began in 08/09 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Love Seapoint. It’s my “lucky course “ as I always have a good score there.
    Would not like to see it close but it’s in serious trouble I am hearing.

Anyone know how many clubs have closed since the recession began in 08/09 ?
    Off the top of my head, the following have closed:
    Glencullen
    Glen of the Downs
    Killin Park
    Frankfield
    Glenmalure
    Navan
    Knockanally
    Hollystown
    Turvey

South County reopened as Lisheen Spriings
    Rathsallagh subsequently sold and reopened.

Why would they be nervous? If the clubs are viable there is no issue. They just continue to repay their loan just to a different lender.

Let's be honest. The number of clubs struggling to remain viable is on the increase. There is particular pressure on them at this time of year when income is at its lowest. There are clubs out there taking out loans to survive until the end of the year until membership renewal is due. A number of clubs have had their debts written down. The number of golfers in Ireland is decreasing while the age profile of those playing is rising. That is not viable in the long term. There are clubs out there who built monuments to the Celtic Tiger. The costs of their repayments are crippling them and they are only surviving through the goodwill of their banks. Any selling on of their loans will result in inevitable closure.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, the following have closed:
    Glencullen
    Glen of the Downs
    Killin Park
    Frankfield
    Glenmalure
    Navan
    Knockanally
    Hollystown
    Turvey

South County reopened as Lisheen Spriings
    Rathsallagh subsequently sold and reopened.
    Vartry Lakes
    Dublin City
    Hazel Grove
    Bodenstown
    Woodlands

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Vartry Lakes
    Dublin City
    Hazel Grove
    Bodenstown
    Woodlands

Kilcoole

Let's be honest. The number of clubs struggling to remain viable is on the increase. There is particular pressure on them at this time of year when income is at its lowest. There are clubs out there taking out loans to survive until the end of the year until membership renewal is due. A number of clubs have had their debts written down. The number of golfers in Ireland is decreasing while the age profile of those playing is rising. That is not viable in the long term. There are clubs out there who built monuments to the Celtic Tiger. The costs of their repayments are crippling them and they are only surviving through the goodwill of their banks. Any selling on of their loans will result in inevitable closure.

Are you saying non viable clubs should be kept open artificially?

• Advertisement

Are you saying non viable clubs should be kept open artificially?

Can you point out where I said that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement