Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GoMo Experience Great so far

• 09-11-2019 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭

So, I've often said that you'll really only hear the "negatives" online - particularily when you are researching a new product etc as people tend to only want to vent about a bad experience and not necessarily talk about a "standard" or "good" experience. There are a few threads in here that you can see around bad experiences with GoMo.

I ordered 3 SIMS for three different people on the 15th of October, under the same debit card. All three arrived at their addresses within 4-5 or so business days, and all online accounts were successfully setup/updated etc.
    I ported to one SIM (from 3 PAYG) on the Sunday of the Bank Holiday weekend. Absolutely no issues.
    I've ported the other two today - having changed the dates and times of the port on the online accounts today also. No issues with either port (from EIR PAYG) - all great.
    I got two notifications that payment was not taken in the past few days from my card for two of the three SIMS which appears to be a safety check with unintended consequences - which I assume will be sorted in a day or two.

So for what I was spending on one SIM per month, I am now spending on three and with a percentage more of everything.

That's my spiel and I suspect it's the experience of the vast majority of those that have gone with GoMo.

I've been a customer of O2, Vodafone, 3, Meteor, iD, Virgin Media, Eir and now GoMo over the past 20 years or so and have generally found them all to be of a similiar standard if and when there has been an issue. The prime differentiator for me has been cost and thankfully, it is great to see greater and greater competition in the marketplace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

It's been seamless for me too. Got my SIM on day 10 of the stated 10 business days delivery time. Opted to port my number the same day the SIM arrived. Chose 1pm and by 1:15pm my 3 SIM had stopped working. Popped in the GoMo SIM and everything worked: calls, texts, 4G with absolutely nothing for me to do except set up voice mail. Customer service through live chat and Facebook messenger is a waste of time though. Twitter was the only channel through which I got a response and I only contacted them because my account details updated online the day before the SIM arrived so was a bit concerned there might have been a SIM-related disaster having read some of the horror stories on here. Coverage (voice and 4G) is much the same as 3 but at a fraction of the cost and includes a call package that really can't be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Oige1981

O'Prez wrote: »
    It's been seamless for me too. Got my SIM on day 10 of the stated 10 business days delivery time. Opted to port my number the same day the SIM arrived. Chose 1pm and by 1:15pm my 3 SIM had stopped working. Popped in the GoMo SIM and everything worked: calls, texts, 4G with absolutely nothing for me to do except set up voice mail. Customer service through live chat and Facebook messenger is a waste of time though. Twitter was the only channel through which I got a response and I only contacted them because my account details updated online the day before the SIM arrived so was a bit concerned there might have been a SIM-related disaster having read some of the horror stories on here. Coverage (voice and 4G) is much the same as 3 but at a fraction of the cost and includes a call package that really can't be beaten.

Likewise mine amazing also - I also done a thread saying how fantastic it is - the cost is amazing - will keep an eye on the bill hopefully it never goes above the 9.99 unless of course I ring other numbers on 4G the speed is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Seemless experience for me too moving from Vodafone on their X plan. Signed up in the first week, got my SIM in the post after 9 days, and scheduled my port for last Thursday 7th, I was ported over within 20 minutes. Straight away getting decent 4G speeds (marginally slower than Vodafone) and fine call coverage in Dublin actually some improvement compared to some Vodafone blackspots in Dublin

Saving myself €140 per year for an unnoticeable difference in coverage so far with unlimited calls/texts/better data allowance, we'll see how it goes over the next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Yup. Another positive voice - activation took about 10 hours, all good since. Ported number seamlessly today. Speeds at home are pretty much the same as Tesco Mobile, and much better out and about (in Mallow for instance).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭This is it

Porting etc was ll perfect. I do have issues with speeds but that just transferred from Eir so it's no different but less than half the price. Very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

I have to agree with the above. My simm arrived last Friday and I requested to port the next day at midday and bang on time I was ported over. Speeds are the same I was getting with Virgin but a lot cheaper. Very happy with GoMo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Ordered on 30/10, arrived 7/11, tested it out on spare phone, ported today at 2pm.

Reception seems to as Vodafone (payg), did a speed test on 4g and got

21down
    14 up
    Ping 51
    Jitter 1

Happy out so far

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭WildIreland

Ordered 5 sims (one for all the family). All arrived within the 10 day window, four ported over without issue this morning, waiting for daughter to come home from college to port the final one.

Flawless experience so far. Service seems great. Solid 3G at home (very rural), decent enough data and call coverage inside our old stone built schoolhouse. Full bar 4G coverage today in Cork with great bandwidth (see speedtest attached).

So far can't fault the service, and certainly can't fault the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

I was thinking of getin gomo sim and using an old phone in flat to mobile hopspot off. So would hav broadband essentially for 10 euro a month. Im in Galway city. Only rely use broadbrand fr netflix of streamin da odd match, would tis work well?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

I can confirm that GoMo throttles the speed when you reach 80GB. My speed is now 0.2Mbps more or less unusable. I was getting speeds of 30Mbps before I hit the 80GB limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

had little or no issues so far. Does what it says on the tin for me.

biggest issue I have is my phone is dying as I'm using data constantly....so more charging.

I can confirm that GoMo throttles the speed when you reach 80GB. My speed is now 0.2Mbps more or less unusable. I was getting speeds of 30Mbps before I hit the 80GB limit

Thanks. I doubt ww would be hitting the 80gb, only 2 of us in flat nd just netflix or browsing or odd stream of match or ufc. Neone know what speed like in galway city with gomo
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

dockysher wrote: »
    Thanks. I doubt ww would be hitting the 80gb, only 2 of us in flat nd just netflix or browsing or odd stream of match or ufc. Neone know what speed like in galway city with gomo
    ?

Speeds depend on a few factors.

Easy hit 80 gig between two people if tethered to two laptops etc watching a good bit of netflix on non mobile devices. Have you any idea of how much data you both use currently?
    You might be able get this from your current ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

That's interesting - first confirmation I've seen that the 80 GB throttling limit is implemented. I'd have expected a reduced speed that would be at least usable for email and basic surfing - apparently not so.

It would be interesting to hear what others' experiences are. I'm nowhere near the limit yet.

I connected virgin media to get my broadband usage but they refuse to give it to me since I canceled my account with them. I canceled it after my 12 months were up cause it was too expensive.

Heres what they told me:

For reading the GB and MBs used for a service. It needs to check for the information stored in the modem to the line system. Your account is terminated now so you cant check this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

dockysher wrote: »
    I connected virgin media to get my broadband usage but they refuse to give it to me since I canceled my account with them. I canceled it after my 12 months were up cause it was too expensive.

Heres what they told me:

For reading the GB and MBs used for a service. It needs to check for the information stored in the modem to the line system. Your account is terminated now so you cant check this.

This may be of use to estimate usage:
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Edit- Wrong thread*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Zero problems so far. Delighted with this, great value!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

What's the contract duration? (Yes, I did trawl the FAQs).
    When can a customer cancel the service without penalties?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭This is it

What's the contract duration? (Yes, I did trawl the FAQs).
    When can a customer cancel the service without penalties?

30 day rolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Ordered my sim (and unlock code from Three) on the 31st of October.

Got it on the 11th of November.

Tested it yesterday in my phone (Huawei P10 Plus).
    Reception and data was all good at home and in work.

Set it to port from my expired Three Billpay account at 7am this morning.
    At 8am I got a text from Three saying the port had been accepted.
    Soon after I swapped sims and got a welcome text from Gomo.

Perfect since.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ebeanz

I ordered 3 sims on the 1st November which arrived in about 8 days. I had 3 port times scheduled and all of them went through within minutes. Ported from an O2 legacy account, Three and Vodaphone and all of us are happy, we’ve saved €25 a month and I now get free calls and texts so an additional saving there.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭redoctober

I ordered 29th October. Sim hadn't arrived after 10 days. Tried to contact them. Little response. I read the horror stories online and was afraid I'd have the same experience. Sim arrived yesterday after 13 working days. Ported this morning. Everything seems good so far. Speeds better for me than three as signal was awful in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Nutgrover

How to access the voice mail on GoMo? The voice mail tel. number is +44 7782 333 123. Then, I was prompted for my phone number or # if that's for the number I'm calling from, so I pressed #. Then, I was prompted for the PIN. I entered the PIN of the SIM card - not accepted. Entered my phone PIN - not accepted. Tried 1234# and 0000#. No luck. What PIN is it?? Go Mo has no customer service helpline. I filled in the online form and after 3 working days got no response, so I'm trying posting this issue here. Are you able to access your voice mail on Go Mo? How?? What PIN do you use - the one for your SIM card or some different one? If the different one, how did you obtain it (given my experience of GoMo online form being non-responsive)??!!?

Voice mail may seem not important but not when my clients and potential clients left them for me and now they're thinking I'm ignoring them!

Thanks in advance and awaiting in despair :D
    Nutgrover

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Nutgrover wrote: »
    How to access the voice mail on GoMo? The voice mail tel. number is +44 7782 333 123. Then, I was prompted for my phone number or # if that's for the number I'm calling from, so I pressed #. Then, I was prompted for the PIN. I entered the PIN of the SIM card - not accepted. Entered my phone PIN - not accepted. Tried 1234# and 0000#. No luck. What PIN is it?? Go Mo has no customer service helpline. I filled in the online form and after 3 working days got no response, so I'm trying posting this issue here. Are you able to access your voice mail on Go Mo? How?? What PIN do you use - the one for your SIM card or some different one? If the different one, how did you obtain it (given my experience of GoMo online form being non-responsive)??!!?

Voice mail may seem not important but not when my clients and potential clients left them for me and now they're thinking I'm ignoring them!

Nutgrover
    You need to setup voicemail first be phoning 171 and they will ask you to input a pin.

The pin is up of your choice so remember it as you need it to access your voicemail from another phone.

BTW +44 is a UK number.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Nutgrover wrote: »

Nutgrover
    Where did you get the number +44 7782 333 123 and what makes you think it's the Gomo voicemail number? +44 is a UK area code.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Jeff2 wrote: »
    You need to setup voicemail first be phoning 171 and they will ask you to input a pin.

The pin is up of your choice so remember it as you need it to access your voicemail from another phone.

BTW +44 is a UK number.

Didn't need a pin to setup mine . Sounds odd .Just dialed 171 and followed the instructions. Although when I get a voicemail I get a notification of unknown voicemail number . I just ignore the notification and listen to the voice mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

Done 2 sims now, porting has been flawless.

arrived as expected, ported over no bother, data coverage is certainly no worse than i was having with 3 and its half the cost of my old rolling topup with ten times the data allowance before throttling kicks in, which I'll never get to.

couldnt ask for more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

No issues with my port, my mam and sister followed shortly with no issues. The girlfriend ported the other day also no issues.

No issues with signals in West Dublin or in and around the city centre.

A colleague of mine recently signed a 2 year contract to get an S10. €350 for the phone and €40 a month, total of €1,310. Before he bought it I told him to buy one on Amazon unlocked for €650 and keep his Sim Only for the same price. Now that GoMo is out it would have cost €890. Could have saved €420!

Advertisement