Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build air to water question

• 12-11-2019 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi all
    so we are in our new house over a month and am not sure my heating is working correctly, all seemed ok till recently, one room wasnt working at all, that was fixed but now system doesnt seem to be running as well any more.

first off the desired temp on the unit itself is set to 34 degrees, it was only 28 but i pushed it up a bit as directed by plumber
    the rooms are mostly set to 21 degrees but lately they cant seem to maintain this and this morning the house felt cold with some stats showing only 18 degrees, the stats show they are calling for heat but the floor remains cold, in the living area i have turned the stat up to 24 as there is alot of glass and it feels a bit chilly at night..but it never gets near this temp and was showing 18-19 degrees this morning
    the actuators on the manifold for the zones with heating on feel warm and are seem to be open but the temp doesnt seem to be going up
    any ideas?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I have a heat pump with underfloor and set the max flow temp to 30 degrees. It never has any issues getting the rooms up to temp, although i would never set it as high as 21 degrees.

If the title didn't say new build i would wonder if the pipe spacing was set for oil and the house later added a heat pump.

What make and model is the unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

Mr Q wrote: »
    I have a heat pump with underfloor and set the max flow temp to 30 degrees. It never has any issues getting the rooms up to temp, although i would never set it as high as 21 degrees.

If the title didn't say new build i would wonder if the pipe spacing was set for oil and the house later added a heat pump.

What make and model is the unit?
    no always set up for air to water, its a daikin but will have to look up model but its a double unit outdoors,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You don't really set a desired temp with a heat pump like a boiler so I don't understand what the plumber told you. 34 degree flow temps are very high for a new build.

You need to adjust the heat curve at various outside temps until it is running as you like.

It could simply be that if is colder now and your heat curve is not well adjusted in this temperature range.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

murphaph wrote: »
    You don't really set a desired temp with a heat pump like a boiler so I don't understand what the plumber told you. 34 degree flow temps are very high for a new build.

You need to adjust the heat curve at various outside temps until it is running as you like.

It could simply be that if is colder now and your heat curve is not well adjusted in this temperature range.

well i dont know anything about the topic but on the main control panel of the unit there is a desired temp setting which you can adjust up and down, been told it should be at 35 degrees which seems to have kicked system into life

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

annubis wrote: »
    well i dont know anything about the topic but on the main control panel of the unit there is a desired temp setting which you can adjust up and down, been told it should be at 35 degrees which seems to have kicked system into life
    It seems very high for a new build if that's the flow temperature. You'd want to be careful or you could be wasting a lot of electricity. Heat pumps+UFH do require a bit of understanding. It's different than with rads+boiler. It's not a case of "it's cold now, need a blast of heat, turn on the heating for an hour".

To be honest in a modern build with UFH with correct pipe spacing you should barely notice the floor being warm. It doesn't feel particularly warm to the touch or anything. If it does, something is probably wrong!

I only notice our UFH is on when I step from the tiled hall with UFH onto the tiled concrete stairs, which is unheated. Yet we maintain 21 degrees in the whole house and use an auxiliary electric heater in the shower rooms to bring them up to 23 degrees while in use, otherwise they are off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement