Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup 2019/20 Round 1

• 10-11-2019 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

FRIDAY 15TH NOVEMBER
    Gloucester v Toulouse

SATURDAY 16TH NOVEMBER
    Leinster v Benetton
    Glasgow v Sale
    La Rochelle v Exeter
    Bath v Ulster
    ASM Clermont Auvergne v Harlequins
    Ospreys v Munster

SUNDAY 17TH NOVEMBER
    Northampton v Lyon
    Racing 92 v Saracens
    Connacht v Montpellier

Some intriguing match ups. Bath v Ulster could be very tight.

R92 v Sarries probably the game of the week

Going for

Toulouse
    Leinster
    Glasgow
    LA Rochelle
    Ulster
    Clermont
    Munster
    Saints
    Racing
    Montpellier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Munster could put 80 on the Ospreys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I think Leinster are using this as a ramp up game given the number of internationals who didn’t play this week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Some interesting quotes from Mark McCall. It looks like Saracens won't be putting to much effort into Europe this season.
    “Despite the appeal, we have to plan for the worst-case scenario so to avoid relegation is now the priority ahead of European rugby,” he said.

“We are not planning on breaking up our squad and most of the England players were in on Tuesday as they love the club, but the conversations with them may be a bit different now as some of our younger players deserve a chance in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'll believe that when I see them out of the competition, not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Some interesting quotes from Mark McCall. It looks like Saracens won't be putting to much effort into Europe this season.

They can rotate v Ospreys. The Sarries women would stick 50 on them.

Their squad is locked in for Europe anyway barring a few changes allowable by wednesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Munster could put 80 on the Ospreys.

Not if the execution is as poor as it was on Saturday.

• Benetton will fancy their chances in this group. Neither Lyon nor Northampton have recent pedigree in Europe and whilst both look to have improved this season there is a reasonable possibility that they won't turn their hand to Europe and focus on the domestic leagues.

I'd imagine Leinster will go full strength but guys coming back in may lose out on the marginals.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Benetton are a growing force and will test anybody at home. Away though they'll struggle I reckon and there's no tougher opener than a game at the bear pit that is the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Benetton will fancy their chances in this group. Neither Lyon nor Northampton have recent pedigree in Europe and whilst both look to have improved this season there is a reasonable possibility that they won't turn their hand to Europe and focus on the domestic leagues.

I'd imagine Leinster will go full strength but guys coming back in may lose out on the marginals.

Lyon absolutely strolling away with the top14 rn. Only conceded 7 tries.

• errlloyd wrote: »
    Lyon absolutely strolling away with the top14 rn. Only conceded 7 tries.

Yup and Northampton are joint top of the Prem.

It's a tougher group than initial appearances - but the point remains that domestic form is not always a good indicator of form going into Europe.

Benneton are struggling a bit in the pro so may not focus on Europe, but on last seasons form they wouldn't be far off the mix.

Leinster are looking very sharp - but to my mind this was always going to be a rebuilding year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Forgot that Keatley was with Benetton. We should win this one.
    Munster will hammer Ospreys.
    Ulster in a war with Bath!!
    Great weekend coming

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    FRIDAY 15TH NOVEMBER
    Gloucester v Toulouse

SATURDAY 16TH NOVEMBER
    Leinster v Benetton
    Glasgow v Sale
    La Rochelle v Exeter
    Bath v Ulster
    ASM Clermont Auvergne v Harlequins
    Ospreys v Munster

SUNDAY 17TH NOVEMBER
    Northampton v Lyon
    Racing 92 v Saracens
    Connacht v Montpellier
    - Saracens to make a statement and knock over a Racing team who've had a poor start to the season.
    - Predict Connacht to turn it up for Europe against a mixed start Montpellier.
    - Bath at home with a full strength squad likley to beat Ulster, but shoulds be very close.
    - Gloucester were poor at home last weekend against a Sarries team minus a good few names.
    - 5 pointers for Leinster/Munster/Clermont
    - Outside of Irish interest, Glasgow v Sale should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

- Saracens to make a statement and knock over a Racing team who've had a poor start to the season.
    - Bath at home with a full strength squad likley to beat Ulster, nearly beat Bristol away couple weeks back with a depleted team.
    - Gloucester were poor at home last weekend against a Sarries team minus a good few names.

Good predictions but IIRC Bath did not nearly beat Bristol but were some way short.

Good predictions but IIRC Bath did not nearly beat Bristol but were some way short.
    You're right, had them mixed up with Sale :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

- Bath at home with a full strength squad likley to beat Ulster, but shoulds be very close.

McCall came out and said that Sarries won't be competing on two fronts this season and will be concentrating on the premiership. I'd expect a weak Sarries side to be named and Racing to walk all over them.

• Munster and Leinster games probably the least interesting fixtures this weekend.

Some cracking line ups otherwise.

Time to start thinking creatively about parenting responsibilities this weekend.

McCall came out and said that Sarries won't be competing on two fronts this season and will be concentrating on the premiership. I'd expect a weak Sarries side to be named and Racing to walk all over them.
    True
    But, like some others have said, I'll believe it when I see the team sheet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sarries 2nds are handy enough. The possibly live in nice houses too.

True
    But, like some others have said, I'll believe it when I see the team sheet.

The thing is that they've agreed with the RFU that the internationals will only be available for a set amount of games this season, so if they play 9 games in Europe they'll only be available for 6-7 Premiership games. There was also a rumour that the internationals won't be available again until they play Bath in three weeks. As you said we'll see at the weekend.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see what they do, McCall was implying that they'd just send the academy players over, but they'd be leaving themselves wide open to fines from the EPCR if they try and play that sorta game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Connachts injury difficulties could be too much to overcome against a confrontational Monty side...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yeah it'll be interesting to see what they do, McCall was implying that they'd just send the academy players over, but they'd be leaving themselves wide open to fines from the EPCR if they try and play that sorta game.

I don't think they are open to fines unless their wider EPCR squad is weakened.

Teams have played weakened lineups for years in certain games.

I don't think they are open to fines unless their wider EPCR squad is weakened.

Teams have played weakened lineups for years in certain games.

Agen were fined and banned from European competitions for something similar a few years ago because they decided to concentrate on the French league and sent out an extremely weak team and were deemed to bring the game into disrepute for deliberately throwing the match.

I'd imagine if they somehow lose all their European games there'll be similar actions taken.

Agen were fined and banned from European competitions for something similar a few years ago because they decided to concentrate on the French league and sent out an extremely weak team and were deemed to bring the game into disrepute for deliberately throwing the match.

I'd imagine if they somehow lose all their European games there'll be similar actions taken.

Saracens have a much better squad than Agen had back then. Even without their England internationals, while they'd be much more beatable, you'd still expect them to push for qualification from the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Can't believe Polledri doesn't start for Glaws

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Richie Gray is not starting. His career promised a lot but looks like it will peter out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

No Cheslin Kolbe. Pity we won't see his searing pace and tricky running. Good news for Gloucester but bit of a disappointment for spectators at Kingsholm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

errlloyd wrote: »
    Can't believe Polledri doesn't start for Glaws

in fairness they’re stacked at back row.

• Advertisement

• How much healing are people hoping for from this weekend?

Advertisement