Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for Aviation to look at 100ml liquid rule to reduce plastics

• 10-11-2019 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

How many times have we seen water bottles being dumped at security gates and the same people have to buy another bottle once inside.

There must be some serious waste being generated here.....

Is there ever going to be an end to the Liquid ban?? Is it even being discussed??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Jacovs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

10 years ago I heard rumours from security staff that it may soon be abolished.

However, I've never considered the plastic waste option as an issue, I can't imagine it's particularly large in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Jacovs wrote: »

Great... any I forgot about the millions of 'bags' being generated just to pass thru Security that eventually get dumped. Another plus in this logic

JCX BXC wrote: »
    10 years ago I heard rumours from security staff that it may soon be abolished.

However, I've never considered the plastic waste option as an issue, I can't imagine it's particularly large in the grand scheme of things.

The 'bag' is a defined size and I have seen people pulled on using their own bag and being told to use the 'proper bag'. You don't see Tesco etc saying this when people bring their own bag as their contribution to reducing waste

Plastics at Regional airports may not be much ... but throw in a Dublin numbers of 15m people a year and even if 1% get caught on carrying a bottle... that's 150,000 bottles being dumped and probably another 150,000 being bought again inside Departures. Throw in Heathrow, Schipol, Frankfurt and the numbers start to add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Once 3D/CT machines are deployed the limits will go away as will the need to remove items

AMS has moved over, others are in progress

• Advertisement

Once 3D/CT machines are deployed the limits will go away as will the need to remove items

AMS has moved over, others are in progress

There machines are not mandatory.... will Ireland insist on putting them into all Irish airports??? It gonna mean more Grants for regionals .....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you are worried about pollution, cut the number of flights you make.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was meant to go to 200ml years and years ago and... didn't.

It is just security theatre anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I've flown through airports where you don't even need to take out liquids during security like in Hong Kong or Taipei. IIRC, Dubai is the same as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

L1011 wrote: »
    It was meant to go to 200ml years and years ago and... didn't.

It is just security theatre anyway.

Considering it was safe to travel despite the successful liquid bomb disguised as contact lens fluid in 1994, it's definitely theatre.

Can current technology spot 100 ml or 150 ml of, say, nitroglycerin? Why 100 ml...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

dfx- wrote: »
    Considering it was safe to travel despite the successful liquid bomb disguised as contact lens fluid in 1994, it's definitely theatre.

Can current technology spot 100 ml or 150 ml of, say, nitroglycerin? Why 100 ml...

I imagine it not a case of “spotting”, it’s more a case of what damage 100 mls of a explosive substance will cause as opposed to 150mls.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The planes are doing far more environmental damage than the plastic. If the bottles are sent to recycling there isn’t a huge issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Hilarious. Someone thinks that by using 1 less plastic bag each at the airport per year that they're an eco-warrior.

If you're so worried about climate change, why do you take the flight in the first place?

Brennus335 wrote: »
    If you're so worried about climate change, why do you take the flight in the first place?

Have to agree. This kinda of thinking annoys me, too.

OP, cop on to yourself and just walk to your holiday destination like the rest of us. I'll be going to Salou next September, and if I leave in middle of April I'll be there on time for a lovely week in the sun. Why can't you do the same?

(I might miss Christmas on the way back, but that's the price you have to pay).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

OP, cop on to yourself and just walk to your holiday destination like the rest of us. I'll be going to Salou next September, and if I leave in middle of April I'll be there on time for a lovely week in the sun. Why can't you do the same?

You're not walking anywhere further than the local supermarket.

riemann wrote: »
    You're not walking anywhere further than the local supermarket.

What do you mean? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Exactly.

China and India opening a new coal fired power station every other day, and these people think they're fighting climate change by worrying about a plastic bag at the airport.

I don't laugh at them, I pity them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,847 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can buy enough air side to not need to smuggle anything through security.

Exactly.

China and India opening a new coal fired power station every other day, and these people think they're fighting climate change by worrying about a plastic bag at the airport.

I don't laugh at them, I pity them.

Per capita tonnes of CO2 emissions
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita

Ireland - 7.7
    China - 8.0
    America - 16.1
    India - 1.7

Yeah, China and are India are big. That's hardly changeable. No matter who lives there, in whichever country exists there, we're not going to be much better than them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I imagine it not a case of “spotting”, it’s more a case of what damage 100 mls of a explosive substance will cause as opposed to 150mls.

You can bring on up to 1 litre each, so it's more what the liquid is than its volume..

150 x 6 or 100 x 10 or 250 x 4, policing the smaller volume isn't relevant, making sure the bag is closed isn't relevant, it being see through isn't relevant as most chemicals are colourless....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Masala wrote: »
    There machines are not mandatory.... will Ireland insist on putting them into all Irish airports??? It gonna mean more Grants for regionals .....

The machines with that level of scanning capability will become mandatory in the early 2020s. Some of the major hubs have upgraded their equipment already. Dub and others will have to follow soon.

You can bring on up to 1 litre each, so it's more what the liquid is than its volume..

150 x 6 or 100 x 10 or 250 x 4, policing the smaller volume isn't relevant, making sure the bag is closed isn't relevant, it being see through isn't relevant as most chemicals are colourless....

No... the max liquid is 100 Ml per container Otherwise we would have no problems bring a 500ml bottle of water.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No... the max liquid is 100 Ml per container Otherwise we would have no problems bring a 500ml bottle of water.

Because security theatre

I could fill five 100ml bottles with the contents of a 500 easily if it had any nefarious purpose

This is just theatre to convince idiots that they're safe. We are repeatedly being made suffer because the US had no security worth mentioning pre 2001 and still does it badly

At last all this climate bobbins is good for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

DAA security seem to be the most strict on the bag size, as others have said they stop you if you're using your own plastic bag.

Other airports I've been through recently weren't bothered that I had the DAA bag stuffed and open with liquid bottles and that included Ben Gurion airport!

Anyhow, back on point, for those worried about the level of plastics being used, yes the travel size bottles are an awful waste, so I bought some reusable refillable bottles, great for toothpastes, shower gels etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Hilarious. Someone thinks that by using 1 less plastic bag each at the airport per year that they're an eco-warrior.

Who said anything about climate change?
    God forbid people want to generate less waste and litter that plagues the environment worldwide. Just look at every roadside and ditch in Ireland.

But according to you, we think we're eco warriors for wanting to create less trash, and in the same breath you insinuate we're eco wariors. :confused:

It's mad how the whole climate change conversation these days has people literally trying to invalidate the argument of "we should be polluting less for other reason too".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    DAA security seem to be the most strict on the bag size, as others have said they stop you if you're using your own plastic bag.

Haven't had any issue with DAA (or any other airport) with my own bag. Looks like this:

919jMA%2BJDkL._SY355_.jpg

Been traveling in and out weekly for a few years now without any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

So Ireland is outputting as much carbon in 2018 as it did in 1980 with x million more population. In fact with the fluid border and lack of immigration checks over the past 10 years I would go further and say that the true population in Ireland is more than likely materially underestimated. I would class that as a positive result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭Caranica

deconduo wrote: »
    Haven't had any issue with DAA (or any other airport) with my own bag. Looks like this:

919jMA%2BJDkL._SY355_.jpg

Been traveling in and out weekly for a few years now without any hassle.

Bought one of those, 3 times of 5 I tried to use it in Dublin I got stopped and forced to play lightweight bag tetris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can bring empty bottles of any size. When travelling I usually take a 500ml bottle, drink the contents in the queue and fill it again from the water fountain in the terminal. Simples.

Advertisement