Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Invisible Man

• 09-11-2019 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,120 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Dark Universe is dead however they are still making the individual films by the looks of it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Blumhouse making it though by the looks of it, wonder if any other of the properties were handed to other studios. Kinda makes sense, I had figured cheap horror remakes was a better path to success than a wonky, PG shared universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Was thinking similar, It doesn't look massive but massive hasn't really worked out in this area for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Blumhouse probably are the production company to make these films maybe we could have a Blumhouse dark universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭El Duda

pixelburp wrote: »
    Blumhouse making it though by the looks of it, wonder if any other of the properties were handed to other studios. Kinda makes sense, I had figured cheap horror remakes was a better path to success than a wonky, PG shared universe.

• Don't know if I can handle much more of Elisabeth Moss' tortured gurn face though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,812 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I saw one reaction video to the trailer and she said something along the lines of , all he wants to do is stalk an ex girlfriend, what a waste :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Whenever I hear about Invisible man style movies, I always think of this terrible song from an Irish Boyband, from about 10-15 years ago

Its supposed to be a Romantic song, but lyrics are more in line with this version of the Invisible Man :D

"If I was invisible, then I could just watch you in your room"

"If I was invisible, I'd make you mine tonight"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,407 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Don't know if I can handle much more of Elisabeth Moss' tortured gurn face though

God I hated her since Mad Men.,that’s me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭brevity

In the YT comments underneath someone mentioned Hollow Man which seems right. And a good time to listen to this:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

You can't see him, as he's invisible :D

• Advertisement

• He's John Cena

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭p to the e

Blazer wrote: »
    God I hated her since Mad Men.,that’s me out.

Also a 2nd generation Scientologist I believe if you wanted any further excuses to avoid her work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Must watch Hollow man again.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,120 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Elizabeth Banks to direct the Invisible Woman,

Dexter Fletcher to direct Renfield a new take on Dracula,

The Dark Universe is making a comeback of sorts as individual films not being interconnected.

There will be blood .. apparently .. as opposed to transparently.. geddit? :D

Leigh Whannell’s The Invisible Man Receives R-Rating From MPAA
    https://www.comingsoon.net/horror/news/1118095-invisible-man-receives-r-rating
    The Invisible Man has officially been given an R-rating from the MPAA for “some strong bloody violence, and language.”

:eek: checked IMDB

Leigh Whannells next project is: Escape from New York!
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0984981/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I wasn't particularly interested in this until I saw this was being written and directed by Leigh Whannell. He's got some good ideas in him, and Upgrade shows he's a writer/director to keep an eye on.

Superbowl Spot:

Not sure if the
    paint at the end
    might be a spoiler

Another.. official trailer? .. ok

Could probably skip this one. Combined with the others, I'm starting to form a picture of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,703 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Reviews look good for this!
    91 percent on rottentomatoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭p to the e

Slydice wrote: »
    Another.. official trailer? .. ok

Could probably skip this one. Combined with the others, I'm starting to form a picture of the film.

That's pretty much the film in that trailer. Definitely skip.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I will be very put off when the Camera doesn't do a hyper close up on Elisabeth Moss face every half an hour looking different levels of Angry......

Having said that, it looks alright actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

p to the e wrote: »
    That's pretty much the film in that trailer. Definitely skip.

A bit harsh. Reviews are fantastic. Seeing it tonight :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

ziedth wrote: »
    I will be very put off when the Camera doesn't do a hyper close up on Elisabeth Moss face every half an hour looking different levels of Angry......

Having said that, it looks alright actually.

Yeah, too much time invested in Handmaid's tale has that effect on people.

Looks okay, might watch it on Netflix two years or so down the line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really neat reimagining of the concept and character as an abusive asshole (you’ll hear gaslighting mentioned a lot in reviews,
    but I didn’t expect it to be quite as literal as actually lighting gas :p
    ). Wasn’t completely sold by Upgrade, but Leigh Whannell has made a more satisfying and complete film here. The camera work is extremely smart - the negative space and eerie stillness are brilliantly utilised, and a few pans (plus a couple of particularly well-judged cuts) hit with the required amount of ominous energy.

The film makes such good use of quiet in its first half it’s a shame the soundtrack later on is a tad on the insistent side. Thankfully, the more overtly actiony set pieces are enjoyably brutal (borrowing a few of the more brute-force directorial tricks from Upgrade). While I liked the very slow build-up to things really going to ****, there’s a niggling sense everything isn’t as tight as it could potentially be - maybe like there’s one grim escalation too many?

But yeah, really good show. Moss is as great as always, even if Her Smell remains her recent wild-eyed magnum opus. Would be cool if this is used as a model for any classic horror reimaginings. Good riddance to the Dark Universe, baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭maximoose

A bit harsh. Reviews are fantastic. Seeing it tonight :cool:

I think he meant skip the trailer, not the film :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

maximoose wrote: »
    I think he meant skip the trailer, not the film :pac:

Hah, that makes so much more sense :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Shelga

Went to see this today. Found it quite entertaining, but so, so ridiculous!
    At the end, she manages to change in and out of his invisible suit in about 1 minute? Also, when she hid it in the vent at his house, wouldn't he have noticed it was missing??

The best scene by far was in the restaurant, when he made it look like she was slitting her own sister's throat. I actually gasped!It was also the point after which the film started going downhill for me. I was much preferring the creeping dread of scenes such as the invisible man pulling the duvet off the girls and taking pictures, to the later scenes where he was gunning down a dozen cops at the mental institution without a bother on him :pac:

I think all the glowing reviews that are portraying this as a masterful spin on toxic masculinity are a bit far-fetched, also
    why does every woman in these things have to get their revenge by killing the guy and then doing a smug smile, as if murdering someone is no big deal? Didn't think it was in keeping with her character, I get why they did it that way though.

Entertaining but pretty ludicrous, 6/10 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Amazing film. Was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Went in thinking it was just a copy and paste of hollow man. Didn't bother to read a synopsis or watch any trailers. Expected nothing but was pleasingly surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭sonic85

I thought this was alright - not amazing or anything but it was tense and pretty entertaining. I did think they dragged the arse out of it - 2 hours was way too long. I definitely think they could've trimmed a half an hour and it wouldnt have made much of a difference to the quality and it wouldve been a much tighter film. I gasped out load at a couple of points which was great but equally there were a few little things that didn't make much sense. Overall its definitely worth a watch

Advertisement