Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corballis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I guess i want Fix to win, which might give me a chance to get out of the group.

J

Yes with PARlance on a latent handicap, will be hard.

But great to take a pre. Tournament favorite out ,with game to spare.

Going for everything.

Poor Paulo and Recycled in the friendly game group (lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

Ha Thank god im in the second group can feel the pressure spilling over already Pressure on you Fix! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well, how did the boards descent on Corballis end up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

slave1 wrote: »
    Well, how did the boards descent on Corballis end up?

Yeah, very curious to get an eye on who's the form links man to watch out for tomorrow

• Advertisement

Yeah, very curious to get an eye on who's the form links man to watch out for tomorrow

The big won by a mile.
    36 pts. Great score.

The big won by a mile.
    36 pts. Great score.

Ah bloody students have way too much time on their hands!

Great shooting Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Eagle and all The Big played some really nice golf. My money's on him for tomorrow. Day to forget for me. hopefully that's all the bad shots out of the way for tomorroŵ. Benny and roadrunner played well too but Dan was just too good today. thanks for the game lads .

Could Road runner pm Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

Some eagle
    alright glad I was there 2 witness it! I played well in parts very enjoyable game roll 2mor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Could Road runner pm Me.

Just pm'd you now.

Great day for me, enjoyed the course. Played half decently myself and had numerous easy birdy putt ops, none of which fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Lovely out there today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Anyone on here a member of Corballis ? Thinking of joining and just have a few questions
    Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

dar_cool wrote: »
    Anyone on here a member of Corballis ? Thinking of joining and just have a few questions
    Cheers

There's only one person on here qualified enough to discuss Corballis, the king of the course, Mr. FixdePitchmark!!!:D:D

charlieIRL wrote: »
    There's only one person on here qualified enough to discuss Corballis, the king of the course, Mr. FixdePitchmark!!!:D:D

He knows every blade of grass in the place, or Sandy divot ha ha just want to know about competitions and stuff as it seems pretty old school. No booking system or results system online like howdidido or masters scoreboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

dar_cool wrote: »
    He knows every blade of grass in the place, or Sandy divot ha ha just want to know about competitions and stuff as it seems pretty old school. No booking system or results system online like howdidido or masters scoreboard.

We play them each year in Barton or Metro and they seem to have quite a robust club and membership.

The web site for the club with results etc is
    http://www.corballislinks.com/members-area

Cheers J
    Good bit of info there regarding brs online booking and other questions I had

Cheers

Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Going to play Corballis tomorrow morning. Does anyone know if you can play off the fairways or is it mats? Also, is it a tough course for some playing off about 18 :(

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Going to play Corballis tomorrow morning. Does anyone know if you can play off the fairways or is it mats? Also, is it a tough course for some playing off about 18 :(

You should be definitely playing off the fairways. I don't think they ever have mats in play in Corballis.

Chances are that, as an 18 handicap playing the course for the first time ever, you might have a tough time. Few very tight holes, and some tricky blind drives, so can be difficult to find the lines around the place.

FixDaPitchMark wrote a course guide somewhere on here years ago (possibly in this thread). It would be worth digging it out. He knows his way well around that place, it'd definitely be a help for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Played there 3 times and every time I said never again!! I like to use my driver.. lucky to use it 3 times in Corballis... If the wind is up, forget it...

Last time I played it was blowing a gale, 1st hole was a shortish par 3.. we all played driver off the tee.. None of us reached the green and two of us were single figures golfers and I hit a big drive off 18...

Having said all that though, horses for courses... some people love it there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

You should be definitely playing off the fairways.

You probably wont find any balls in the rough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭blue note

It's such an unusual course. It's obviously very short so you should have a few more pars than on most courses. But you can be very harshly penalised for misses and you're hitting to a lot of small targets. I was going great last time I played - 28 points after 13. Then on 14 I pulled my approach on a par 4 about 3 yards left of the green. Took two to get out of the thick rough and went into more on the other side of the green from it. Came out with a 7. On 15 you've two fairways parallel to each other with a small lin of rough between them which a lot of people aim for. I hit that and took two to he the ball again (trying to get it back into the fairway with a sand wedge) and when I did move it I pulled it left into more rough. 8 on that one. Then on 17 it's a two tiered green. If you're on the top tier it's a struggle to keep the ball on the green putting to a flag on the bottom tier, so you have to go for the pin on a small landing zone. I landed 1-2 feet from the green, but it's elevated so the ball took a massive kick again into thick rough. Finished with a 6.

So with a good scorecard, without trying any hero shots and without missing by much at all on any of the shots, I ended up not scoring on 3 holes. But that's corballis. It can make a show of you when you barely go wrong.

On the first hole though - really, driver? It's about 120m from the whites, maybe 132m from the blues to the middle of the green! I can't imagine ever needing more than a mid-low iron!

blue note wrote: »
    On the first hole though - really, driver? It's about 120m from the whites, maybe 132m from the blues to the middle of the green! I can't imagine ever needing more than a mid-low iron!

Probably blowing a gale. I don't go there if it is windy

Judging by the amount of Corballis lads in Elmgreen on Saturday where the members have recipricol rights, the members feel the same

By the way, it is one of the courses where I will be very interested what the slope will be under the new handicap system

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Probably blowing a gale. I don't go there if it is windy

Judging by the amount of Corballis lads in Elmgreen on Saturday where the members have recipricol rights, the members feel the same

I am a member in corballis albeit a relatively new one. Probably just played it about 15 times, a couple of times when it was very windy. But the most I've needed on the first it's an 8 iron when the wind was very strong. If it was an absolute gale and the tee was at the very back I could imagine using a 5 iron, but I'd probably go with a 6 because of the thick rough behind the green. In front the worst you'll be in is a bunker.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭rooney30

If you play nearly every shot with a seven iron you won’t go too far wrong out there

rooney30 wrote: »
    If you play nearly every shot with a seven iron you won’t go too far wrong out there

That would be a fun comp. 7 iron and putter only in Corballis.

blue note wrote: »
    I am a member in corballis albeit a relatively new one. Probably just played it about 15 times, a couple of times when it was very windy. But the most I've needed on the first it's an 8 iron when the wind was very strong. If it was an absolute gale and the tee was at the very back I could imagine using a 5 iron, but I'd probably go with a 6 because of the thick rough behind the green. In front the worst you'll be in is a bunker.

I hit an 8 iron 125-130!!

Driver is 190-200 fwiw

Next club down is 2 hybrid, which i would probably take in a gale here myself

• Advertisement

gypsy79 wrote: »
    That would be a fun comp. 7 iron and putter only in Corballis.

Tin cup style.

I think the shot you need most in corballis is the 80-100m pitch shot. 2 of the par 3s are this length. And the tee shots generally aren't too bad to leave you this sort of shot too on about 5 of the par 4s. And on the couple you might just end up with it anyway. Aside from how often you'll have to pay it, the consequences of getting it wrong are incredibly penal. Links bunkers and rough can ruin a hole on their own and if you don't hit the right part of the green you can end up in them.

Being a long and straight driver of the ball is great on the part 5 and three of the par 4s. But that's it, it won't be the making or breaking of a score on this course.

Advertisement