Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

faster boarding procedure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

What are you in such a hurry for? Given Irish people's ineptitude at anything organised (e.g. green men, red lights, taking their thrash with them from the cinema, etc) I can see it being chaos in the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

I'd guess Lufthansa work from airbridges more than Ryanair/Aer Lingus and the turnaround times hurt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

This has been known for decades, boarding window first is obvious

Watch how quickly people on business routes board, no messing. Every time I see folk in row 20 panic at row 2 as to where they are in the plane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

How does this work for families with children?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Why don't they board the plane from back to front for front-door only boarding and from middle to back/middle to front for two-door boarding?.........or is that just too simple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Why don't they board the plane from back to front for front-door only boarding and from middle to back/middle to front for two-door boarding?.........or is that just too simple?

Tail tipping restrictions sometimes but it is often done already. Depends on the aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I remember boarding a BA A380 in Johannesburg and was simply amazed at how they had got it down to a fine art. Very pleasant and cheerful gate staff jollied passengers as they arrived to gate onto rows of seats corresponding to seat on plane. I could not believe it when boarding was completed within 15 minutes of it commencing and the four engines characteristically boomed into action. Somebody had thought the system out very carefully as it simply worked flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Still doesn’t eliminate the issue of groups/families traveling together.
    Also the crux of the issue of overhead stowage being extremely limited and not capacious enough for a cabin full of passengers with bags.
    Time and time and time again I’m astonished at how quickly special or charter fights board where passengers have little to no luggage or all have a free checked bag in the hold and minimal cabin luggage. Luggage really slows it up, and if you remove it to the hold the boarding just flows and takes mere minutes, bliss !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I remember flying AMS-HAM with KLM approx 5 years ago where they were doing something similar.

When you arrived at the gate you scanned your boarding pass, and were issued a numbered ticket.
    Boarding was called individually on screen by number - loading from back to front, window-to-aisle.

Worked very well, and was always surprised that I haven't seen it anywhere since.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gate areas in DUB aren't big enough for the multi-lane systems required to have any chance of this working basically.

Locker10a wrote: »
    Still doesn’t eliminate the issue of groups/families traveling together.
    Also the crux of the issue of overhead stowage being extremely limited and not capacious enough for a cabin full of passengers with bags.
    Time and time and time again I’m astonished at how quickly special or charter fights board where passengers have little to no luggage or all have a free checked bag in the hold and minimal cabin luggage. Luggage really slows it up, and if you remove it to the hold the boarding just flows and takes mere minutes, bliss !

the whole point of the video is to illustrate that proper boarding in a timely manner is part of a utopia and no matter what we won't have that. It's quite tongue in cheek also and not meant to be 100% fact.

L1011 wrote: »
    Gate areas in DUB aren't big enough for the multi-lane systems required to have any chance of this working basically.

There's no multi-lane system needed.

AMS managed it with a single boarding lane - with screens displaying the boarding sequence numbers to come up.
    Simple, but dependent on passengers paying attention to the screen, and to the piece of paper in their hand - worked fine on a flight that seemed to be nearly 100% business/commuter flyers - not so sure how well it would work on bucket & spade routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Which is grand until somebody needs to help their mother/granny/child onto the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Which is grand until somebody needs to help their mother/granny/child onto the plane.
    if people were to read the original text, they'd see that its not simply window passengers but window passengers and companions - which makes sense as they'll stow luggage and sit at the same time, and takes care of the kids and granny issue too
    Group 3 - Economy Class passengers with a window seat and companions
    Group 4 - Economy Class passengers with middle seats and companions
    Group 5 - Economy Class passengers with aisle seats
    https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/boarding

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Will boarding window seats first actually speed things up?
    Most of the problem that I see is people blocking the aisle as the put baggage overhead, dont see how this fixes this?

if people were to read the original text, they'd see that its not simply window passengers but window passengers and companions - which makes sense as they'll stow luggage and sit at the same time, and takes care of the kids and granny issue too
    in fairness, not everyone can read German from the OP's link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

These are the things I see daily....

- Up down, up down, excuse me as I jump over you and need to go back into the overhead bin for an absolutely essential item that cannot be left for a short period of time.
    - Seat change requests at door 1L to the senior holding up everyone behind and the inevitable explanation (repeated multiple times) that she doesn't have a passenger list till near the end so won't know which seats are free till then
    - People that manage to misplace their boarding pass between the gate and the aircraft or have it buried so deep in a bag that they are in need of stepping back onto jetbridge to have a rumble.
    - Use of the toilet during boarding resulting in people walking against the flow on a single aisle aircraft.
    - Standing in the aisle and not stepping in to allow people to go past as they sort themselves out
    - Runners sent ahead - generally also with a bag in the hold and one of the group is sent ahead to try and delay the aircraft so that the rest can wander up when it suits.

Until the above gets sorted then I don't think it matters which way you board to be quite frank. Much of it comes down to personal decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

very selective thinking and is welded to jetways as a concept. FR board like a shot with priority boarding, combing the queue in advance, no jetways, front and back boarding

put a jetway in and it slows down tremendously

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

blackwhite wrote: »
    There's no multi-lane system needed.

AMS managed it with a single boarding lane - with screens displaying the boarding sequence numbers to come up.
    Simple, but dependent on passengers paying attention to the screen, and to the piece of paper in their hand - worked fine on a flight that seemed to be nearly 100% business/commuter flyers - not so sure how well it would work on bucket & spade routes.

We know from experience that absolutely nobody obeys boarding groups in DUB without lane barriers, though. Aer Lingus dropped them for a reason.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The only way to really speed up the process is just an idea on a drawing board at Airbus currently.

airbus_concept.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

ah the Thunderbird 2 boarding strategy , for added bonus add parachutes to the plug and the plane doesnt even have to land

We know from experience that absolutely nobody obeys boarding groups in DUB without lane barriers, though. Aer Lingus dropped them for a reason.

Nobody obeyed them because they were never enforced to begin with.
    If people were consistently turned back when trying to board out of turn it wouldn't take long for "group learning" to take effect.

The AMS system issued a numbered ticket and had a "turnstyle" type boarding gate. When your number is displayed then you could scan the ticket and board - if you tried to board out of turn then the turnstyle stays closed.

No idea if they still have it there for any gates - this was circa Feb/March 2015 when I experienced it.

Actually - found this online about it when they started trialling in 2013. Boarded all window seats first - from back to front; then middle seats, back to front; and finally aisle seats back to front.
    Seems to have disappeared sometime in 2015 - reports of software problems.

https://news.klm.com/klm-introduceert-innovatieve-boarding-methode-en/

Turning people back from a combined lane / screen call system would lead to arguments and even further delays. Lanes are the only way to do it.

Remember that people are still unable to remember the liquids rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The only way to really speed up the process is just an idea on a drawing board at Airbus currently.

airbus_concept.jpg

In unrelated news, police have raided the offices of the Airbus design team and discovered a large stash of drugs.:P

Turning people back from a combined lane / screen call system would lead to arguments and even further delays. Lanes are the only way to do it.

Remember that people are still unable to remember the liquids rule!

And yet it worked perfectly when I actually saw it in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

its not the boarding its the rest of the airports that needs sorting out, last two trips to uk on the ferry.

no ryanair or easyjet flights for 18 months (2 aer lingus and 1 aegean) my life is so much more pleasant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/boarding

But But But Outrage!

• Advertisement

blackwhite wrote: »
    And yet it worked perfectly when I actually saw it in action.

And in a quite significant number of flights (has Gold Circle at the time) I never saw it be anything other than an utter mess.

Advertisement