Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf trip advice... Spain or Portugal

• 06-11-2019 4:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for a stear here.
    Firstly the 8 lads going are all decent golfers but wouldn't have huge wallets.
    The options I'm looking at is the Algarve, south of Spain or Girona (pga catalunya)
    The likes of Valderama is a bit steep so looking for a 4 or 5 day trip with 3 or 4 rounds.
    Many thanks in advance.
    I've read some of the Portugal Algarve courses are not great for the fees demanded.
    We're planning next September.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Hi all,
    The options I'm looking at is the Algarve, south of Spain or Girona (pga catalunya)
    The likes of Valderama is a bit steep so looking for a 4 or 5 day trip with 3 or 4 rounds.
    Many thanks in advance.
    I've read some of the Portugal Algarve courses are not great for the fees demanded.

If you’re comparing rates with Ireland then you’ll struggle to find “value” in most of Spain or Portugal. Our mid-tier courses which can be found €20 for a midweek round, even in peak season, is some of the best value in the world of golf. I’m up on 25-30 golf courses in Spain / Portugal now, almost all at €100+ including buggy, and the only ones that would definitely make top 20 in Ulster are Quinta Do Lago South and Morgado. Even some of the premier names like Vilamoura Old and Vale Do Lobo Royal, while perfectly good and enjoyable golf courses, just didn’t agree with me in the same way that Irish courses do.

Drop GolfBreaks or YGT an email with your requirements. It is possible to sort out your own breaks marginally cheaper than these operators, but only if you put serious effort in.

If you’re not overly bothered about nightlife then Amondeira in Algarve (Faldo and O’Connor) will usually have a hell of a deal, as will La Cala (Costa Del Sol). We got a great deal a few years ago in Formosa Park (Algarve) too but it was just a little too far out for my group of functioning alcoholics. You should probably have a look at flights to Lisbon too; packages you there are much better value, but there’s just not as many convenient flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Our group have been traveling to Spain & Portugal in October/early November for the last 10 years or so. My personal preference is Portugal, Lisbon area. Lots of decent deals to be had through golf tour agents. They tend to have deals done with the golf clubs, hotels and transport companies. It can cut costs, even to use the agent for golf and transport. We have tried to book independently in the past - hotels no issue but difficult to get anything from the golf clubs. Golf in these countries is expensive - €80 for a mediocre course is a common quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

thewobbler wrote: »
    If you’re comparing rates with Ireland then you’ll struggle to find “value” in most of Spain or Portugal. Our mid-tier courses which can be found €20 for a midweek round, even in peak season, is some of the best value in the world of golf. I’m up on 25-30 golf courses in Spain / Portugal now, almost all at €100+ including buggy, and the only ones that would definitely make top 20 in Ulster are Quinta Do Lago South and Morgado. Even some of the premier names like Vilamoura Old and Vale Do Lobo Royal, while perfectly good and enjoyable golf courses, just didn’t agree with me in the same way that Irish courses do.

Drop GolfBreaks or YGT an email with your requirements. It is possible to sort out your own breaks marginally cheaper than these operators, but only if you put serious effort in.

If you’re not overly bothered about nightlife then Amondeira in Algarve (Faldo and O’Connor) will usually have a hell of a deal, as will La Cala (Costa Del Sol). We got a great deal a few years ago in Formosa Park (Algarve) too but it was just a little too far out for my group of functioning alcoholics. You should probably have a look at flights to Lisbon too; packages you there are much better value, but there’s just not as many convenient flights.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    Our group have been traveling to Spain & Portugal in October/early November for the last 10 years or so. My personal preference is Portugal, Lisbon area. Lots of decent deals to be had through golf tour agents. They tend to have deals done with the golf clubs, hotels and transport companies. It can cut costs, even to use the agent for golf and transport. We have tried to book independently in the past - hotels no issue but difficult to get anything from the golf clubs. Golf in these countries is expensive - €80 for a mediocre course is a common quote.
    Cheers, I had looked at that as an option, Oitaivos Dunes and West Cliffs I think we're the 2 I was looking at, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Portugal is dear, if you were going next year you may struggle for tee times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'd also recommend the Lisbon area. Specifically the Silver Coast. Praia del Rey is a lovely course and reasonably priced at around the €50 mark. You may get better deals on teetimes.pt as well. Around the area is Royal Obidos (designed by Seve) and Bom Socesso which is also very reasonable and a decent course too. My advice is to book a house or two for the duration rather than hotels as you'll get better rates. A quick search on homeaway.co.uk turned up plenty that sleep 8 or more for between £1200 and £2000 a week.

Portugal is dear, if you were going next year you may struggle for tee times

Jesus already, madness

Just looked up prices for September next year on teetimes.pt for the three courses I mentioned. Praia del Rey is €49, Bom Socesso is €54 and Royal Obidos is €60. But Royal Obidos is cosed from the 7th to the 20th September as it's hosting the Portugal Open. I've walked Praia del Rey and it's no problem. Bom Socesso is probably better with a buggy and Royal Obidos can be walked easily enough too.

Kevin Markham did a tour of the area about this time last year and he tweeted extensively on the experience. Here's one of them, if you click through, you'll see the rest of his reviews and excellent photographs.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Just looked up prices for September next year on teetimes.pt for the three courses I mentioned. Praia del Rey is €49, Bom Socesso is €54 and Royal Obidos is €60. But Royal Obidos is cosed from the 7th to the 20th September as it's hosting the Portugal Open. I've walked Praia del Rey and it's no problem. Bom Socesso is probably better with a buggy and Royal Obidos can be walked easily enough too.

Kevin Markham did a tour of the area about this time last year and he tweeted extensively on the experience. Here's one of them, if you click through, you'll see the rest of his reviews and excellent photographs.
    Nice one mate, appreciate that

Nice one mate, appreciate that
    No problem. It's a part of Portugal that doesn't get written enough about in a golf context, but there are a lot of excellent courses there and it's a shorter flight than to the Algarve. On top of the ones I played, there's West Cliffs, which is a links course at around the €66 mark, Lisbon Sports Club and Oieras. Wouldn't think there'd be much problem getting tee times in September, it's not exactly high season then. And of course you could always get down to Royal Obidos and watch some of the Portugal Open :). Here's the link to the teetimes.pt page for West Cliffs. There are links to the other courses in the area on the left.

• Advertisement

Jesus already, madness

Anyone on here played the pga catalunya courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Anyone on here played the pga catalunya courses?

Mark Crossfielf had a course vlog from there on his YouTube channel within the last couple of weeks

Mark Crossfielf had a course vlog from there on his YouTube channel within the last couple of weeks

Cheers, ill have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

If your booking your own accommodation in Portugal dont stay in Bom Succeso. Theres **** all there and its in the middle of no where

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Id advise against la Cala. 3 courses but all of them are finikey with holes that are uninspiring and ridiculousy tight. Lots of punters selling lake balls on the road in and Id say they do very well!

I'm thinking rent a house in Tavira in the Eastern Algarve and play Monte Rei a few times and one other course.
    Other option is PGA Catalunya and stay in Girona..... Thoughts?

neris wrote: »
    If your booking your own accommodation in Portugal dont stay in Bom Succeso. Theres **** all there and its in the middle of no where
    Yeah. Even the drive up to it from the main road just seems to go on forever. :)
    I stayed in a rented house near Praia del Rey, and that's a lot more central.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

I'd also recommend the Lisbon area. Specifically the Silver Coast. Praia del Rey is a lovely course and reasonably priced at around the €50 mark. You may get better deals on teetimes.pt as well. Around the area is Royal Obidos (designed by Seve) and Bom Socesso which is also very reasonable and a decent course too. My advice is to book a house or two for the duration rather than hotels as you'll get better rates. A quick search on homeaway.co.uk turned up plenty that sleep 8 or more for between £1200 and £2000 a week.

Prawnsambo, The courses there look great and the area is on my list. Some of our group like a few nights out while we are away. Is there any nightlife there and if so where should be stay.

searay wrote: »
    Prawnsambo, The courses there look great and the area is on my list. Some of our group like a few nights out while we are away. Is there any nightlife there and if so where should be stay.
    Hi Searay, good to hear from you. :)

Praia del Rey is a massive resort area. The resort centres around the Marriott Hotel which overlooks the golf course. If you're staying in the resort, you can walk to the Marriott. Obviously the club house is close by too. There's also a separate restaurant and bar down near the end of the course where it follows the shoreline and a supermarket there too. But the walled town of Obidos (about 20 minute's drive from the resort) is a stunning place to go at night for food and drink. You could stay there, but the availability would be limited enough. Better to get a taxi from the resort or a designated driver.

1622711_635223089944716_8261000540499266361_n.jpg?resize=640%2C410&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

The likes of Your Golf Travel seem to be able to command discounted green fees that when wrapped up into a package works out at great value.

We do a trip to Amendeoira every year at 400 quid for 4 nights, 3 games of golf with buggies and airport transfers.

Beats pulling together your own package.

• Advertisement

morrga wrote: »
    The likes of Your Golf Travel seem to be able to command discounted green fees that when wrapped up into a package works out at great value.

We do a trip to Amendeoira every year at 400 quid for 4 nights, 3 games of golf with buggies and airport transfers.

Beats pulling together your own package.
    Cheers, might just do that, really wanted to play either Monte Rei but it's a good drive away.

Guys, a lot of reviewers saying courses in Anendeira have declined a lot due to overuse.

Has anyone stayed in Tavira before, still thinking of doing Monte Rei twice and nearby course Benamor once and renting a house in Tavira.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Guys, a lot of reviewers saying courses in Anendeira have declined a lot due to overuse.

Has anyone stayed in Tavira before, still thinking of doing Monte Rei twice and nearby course Benamor once and renting a house in Tavira.

Stayed there for a short trip in October, maybe 5 years ago - Played 3 courses nearby. Golf was fine but the town was very, very, quiet. :(

Stayed there for a short trip in October, maybe 5 years ago - Played 3 courses nearby. Golf was fine but the town was very, very, quiet. :(
    OK that's that out, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Hi all,
    Many thanks in advance.

8 of us went to la manga last Feb and really enjoyed it but we were only 3 days so less down time...
    There are 3 courses on site all decent with different challenges. Not sure where September sits in their busy periods, as I think it's pricey in season but in Feb it was both warm and reasonable prices. We booked through golfbreaks.com

https://lamangaclub.com/en/sports/golf

There's a few restaurants and bars on site but that otherwise there's not a huge amount to do locally apart from the golf we got a mini-bus into Cartagena the one night for something different

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

I also agree the area around Lisbon is probably better value all round than the Algarve. Aroeira I & II are as good as anything and there's a course called Quinta do Peru up there that's also really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

I have played Amendoeira in March of the last two years and the greens are so pure and Summer like I was quite surprised with how true, fast and fair they rolled. Plenty of sand in bunkers etc.
    Maybe as the year goes on, over use is an issue but I couldn't fault the course conditioning. Cant wait to head back again in March.

Russman wrote: »
    I also agree the area around Lisbon is probably better value all round than the Algarve. Aroeira I & II are as good as anything and there's a course called Quinta do Peru up there that's also really good.
    Also doesn't get as dried out as the Algarve can get sometimes. Drought is a real problem there some years and that can give the 'worn out' look that another poster was referring to. I was there last year (West Algarve) and it was noticeable enough - greens looked very dry despite being watered every evening. Cracks in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I’ve not played them but Quinta del Ria/Cima is a 36 hole layout between Tavira and Monte Rei that gets good reviews. Right by the sea.

That’ll be my trip in a few years once my mates calm the nightlife down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

West Cliffs...
    Played it twice and found it very very difficult. To the point of not really enjoyable. A lot of freakish holes with tight spots and if you dont know the course well you'll be in trouble a lot. Many hazards and waste areas. Has some stunning views though.

Royal Obidos is absolutely lovely and Praya del Rey I find even better. Links front nine by the beach and back nine in the pine woods is such eye candy. Very scenic and very decent holes. Bom Successo is ok too. Probably the weakest of the four but I still take it over West Cliffs.

Its a good area for a golf trip. Its not a tourism spot at all in the Algarve sense and accommodation and restaurants are very very reasonable.

Advertisement