Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthen bank silage pit.

• 07-11-2019 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Would anyone know are earthen bank pits still allowed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭farisfat

Thanks patsy I'm no going for any grants...I didn't see any thing in their about earthen banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

farisfat wrote: »
    Would anyone know are earthen bank pits still allowed.

Have 2 earth bank pits that have been inspected by department and council without any issues.
    They just need to be lined with plastic before filling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

td5man wrote: »
    Have 2 earth bank pits that have been inspected by department and council without any issues.

They have to be watertight, no effluent can seep out into the clay
    same as lagoons I suppose

Going building one here and I was told they won't pass inspection....it's very hard to justify the cost of walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Going building one here and I was told they won't pass inspection....it's very hard to justify the cost of walls.

Do you need walls, I put walls on mine and found it very difficult not to have waste at the walls.
    Very simple too to extend if you don't have walls.
    I always regretted putting walls anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭Base price

wrangler wrote: »
    Do you need walls, I put walls on mine and found it very difficult not to have waste at the walls.
    We didn't have walls on our ones but we did have drainage channels in the concrete to catch the effluent which ran into the slatted unit.

wrangler wrote: »

We've a old slab which were thinking of building a shed on.
    And the plan is to dig into a hill and put concrete bases in.
    Theirs gravel in the hill that can be used for building roads.

Reasons for wanting earthen banks is reduced labour when filling and covering,casual labour is like hens teeth around here.

td5man wrote: »

Have you drainage channels with pipes on all four sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Reasons for wanting earthen banks is reduced labour when filling and covering,casual labour is like hens teeth around here.
    If anything you'll need more labour with earthen banks as you'll have to line the banks with plastic and hold it down with tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

That's the way the pit is here, dug into the hill, only 1 channel down the middle and one at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    If anything you'll need more labour with earthen banks as you'll have to line the banks with plastic and hold it down with tyres.

First load of silage will hold the plastic in place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Are you building a shed over the pit and then using earth bank walls for that?

Are you building a shed over the pit and then using earth bank walls for that?

Shed is going up on old slab for a calf house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Shed is going up on old slab for a calf house.

Ahh, gotcha.

I have an earth banked slab here on one side of my pit. Plastic replaced every year for the full length of the pit from the top of the bank to inside the effluent channel so no effluent can escape.

The excess plastic on top is folded over the pit when covering and the tires used to cover the plastic on top of the bank is stored on the bank.

I've had a few inspections since I started using the earth bank and none of the inspectors had any issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭pms7

Ahh, gotcha.

I have an earth banked slab here on one side of my pit. Plastic replaced every year for the full length of the pit from the top of the bank to inside the effluent channel so no effluent can escape.

The excess plastic on top is folded over the pit when covering and the tires used to cover the plastic on top of the bank is stored on the bank.

I've had a few inspections since I started using the earth bank and none of the inspectors had any issues with it.

Same here, even had inspector having issue with channels not finished, but no comment on earth bank on one side.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Just to drag this one again.are they allowed or not.assep fellas thinks not

Advertisement