Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bumping the thread as for anyone interested, the IFI are screening a 70mm print of David Lynch's Dune this coming Sat & the following Tues. Would love to go but neither date suits annoyingly!

https://ifi.ie/dune-70mm-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    Bumping the thread as for anyone interested, the IFI are screening a 70mm print of David Lynch's Dune this coming Sat & the following Tues. Would love to go but neither date suits annoyingly!

https://ifi.ie/dune-70mm-2/

I heard the Saturday showing is sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Did anyone else go to see Dune?

I thought the quality wasn’t great myself.
    The print had a lot of damage and jumped around a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

I had a dream last night I watched an original cut of Dune. I've never seen Dune....

It was decent, if a little indulgent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

weemcd wrote: »
    I had a dream last night I watched an original cut of Dune. I've never seen Dune....

It was decent, if a little indulgent.

you've seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Should we have a separate thread for Dune related dreams ?

Looks like Timothée Chalamet has been getting some decent prep in for the role of Young Paul.

Looks to be a photo of Rebecca Ferguson as Jessica in a stillsuit on this page:
    http://www.premiere.fr/Cinema/News-Cinema/Dune-Rebecca-Ferguson-parle-de-son-personnage

Much of the content of Rebecca Fergusons interviews give me the impression that people think the Bene Gesserit are somehow subservient .. or maybe that they've only read like.. i dunno.. book one or two.. maybe they continued the delusion with Children of Dune too.. I dunno

I guess they gotta work their way up through the public from scratch again. It's been 35 years since the film and 19 / 16 years since the two mini-series.

Ah phew! It's not a still suit, that's Rebecca Ferguson as Morgana in a film called: The Kid Who Would Be King
    https://femalevillains.fandom.com/wiki/Morgana_(The_Kid_Who_Would_Be_King)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Was wondering - that thing looked a bit... organic or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Damnit, each time there's a new post on this thread lately, I get excited. Oooh! Is the trailer finally out?

No.

Posts reported :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Dune or Dune?

Yeah, welcome to my post two days ago.

Seems they're trying to dumb down The Bene Gesserit before the film or tv series comes out.

Like if this doesn't come off as a failed multi-thousand year experiment going out of control.. then.. pffft

It's been a while, but wasn't Jessica's story much to do with her attempting to break away, or at least deviate, from that scheming? If so, I could see how Ferguson might project her own modern perspectives on that arc, of a woman trying to live beyond society's demands.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's been a while, but wasn't Jessica's story much to do with her attempting to break away, or at least deviate, from that scheming? If so, I could see how Ferguson might project her own modern perspectives on that arc, of a woman trying to live beyond society's demands.
    I think so and maybe that's what Fergus is taking from it. There is certainly no need to "empower" the Bene Gesserit from the original series given their power and reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Just more simpering shite.

The Bene Gesserit operate behind the scenes at all levels of power in 'Dune' and have a great amount of influence. They're intelligent and calculating and use that to guide outcomes favourable to themselves and their order, but rely on their secrecy to achieve this.

They're already "empowered". :rolleyes:

As far as Jessica is concerned, she's in her position because her order want to have a say in the affairs of House Atreides and their Empire and also control Melange, which affects so much of what happens in the story. She also central to the Bene Gesserit's pursuit of the Kwisatz Haderach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Tony EH wrote: »
    They're already "empowered". :rolleyes:
    They have a staggering amount of soft social and political power as a group, but individually they seem subservient to their order and many are directed into roles as concubines, possibly after a youth spent on indoctrination (and other training). Individually, it's not clear how free they are. It's possibly a more nuanced discussion than we can expect from a press tour.

mikhail wrote: »
    They have a staggering amount of soft social and political power as a group, but individually they seem subservient to their order and many are directed into roles as concubines, possibly after a youth spent on indoctrination (and other training). Individually, it's not clear how free they are. It's possibly a more nuanced discussion than we can expect from a press tour.

They're a religious order that one chooses to join, that has a hierarchy. This is like every other organisation and order that's probably ever existed in real life.

Their methods may seem odd to modern 21st Century eyes, they were odd to 20th Century eyes, without al this "empowerment" crap. But in the context of the story, they are perfectly normal.

It's a mistake to look at a story like 'Dune' through the prism of the real world.

Of course, this might just be some flippant yap at a press junket and hopefully, Villeneuve will stick to the book as closely as he can without feeling the need to inject nonsense into the screenplay.

• Advertisement

They're a religious order that one chooses to join, that has a hierarchy. This is like every other organisation and order that's probably ever existed in real life.

Their methods may seem odd to modern 21st Century eyes, they were odd to 20th Century eyes, without al this "empowerment" crap. But in the context of the story, they are perfectly normal.

It's a mistake to look at a story like 'Dune' through the prism of the real world.

Of course, this might just be some flippant yap at a press junket and hopefully, Villeneuve will stick to the book as closely as he can without feeling the need to inject nonsense into the screenplay.

Wait now, the Dune series is about a literal, actually named "jihad" by a race of desert-dwelling people over the control of an important resource found in said locale. I can't speak to Herbert's intentions, but the parallels with the middle east & modern geopolitics over oil is ... well, it ain't subtle. He may have written it in the 1960s, but its still contemporary enough.

That said, this is one throwaway comment by a single lead actor, so I think we should probably hold fire here; there hasn't even been a production still, let alone a trailer so if Ferguson wants to draw parallels between Jessica's restricted life & what's going on cultural in America, fair enough. Dune is hardly apolitical in the first instance.

Wait now, the Dune series is about a literal, actually named "jihad" by a race of desert-dwelling people over the control of an important resource found in said locale. I can't speak to Herbert's intentions, but the parallels with the middle east & modern geopolitics over oil is ... well, it ain't subtle. He may have written it in the 1960s, but its still contemporary enough.

Sure, but I'm talking about mores and attitudes.

Obviously Herbert took real world political examples and used them for his story.
    That said, this is one throwaway comment by a single lead actor, so I think we should probably hold fire here

Perhaps. But I am so tired of this kind of shite being attached to everything these days. America's empty "culture war" is a scourge on everything.

Sure, but I'm talking about mores and attitudes.

Obviously Herbert took real world political examples and used them for his story.

Yeah, but that's the point. It looked at the real world through the prism of this universe. As does much SciFi. Maybe Herbert took his inspiration directly from events & it's there on the page, but who dictates how some other person chooses to interpret the arcs, stories or struggles of some other character? Death of the Author n' all that.

I may not agree with Ferguson's outlook about Jessica TBH, but it's her interpretation to draw from a source material already allegorical. Even divorced of the Middle Eastern influence, it's a proto Game of Thrones, all about dynastic families and the pressure of lineage. Emphasising feministic struggles is a stretch, but it's not totally whacky either IMO.

Perhaps. But I am so tired of this kind of shite being attached to everything these days. America's empty "culture war" is a scourge on everything.

So ignore it, if it bothers you but as I said this is one case where drawing parallels is valid. Though given the user who shared the URL just dumped the link and ran, feels more like drive-by trolling TBH.

So ignore it, if it bothers you but as I said this is one case where drawing parallels is valid. Though given the user who shared the URL just dumped the link and ran, feels more like drive-by trolling TBH.

It becomes difficult to ignore when these empty statements are lashed about and tacked onto everything in some form or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yawn. It is not controversial for people to look at parallels, counterpoints, commentaries etc between art and life.

If you want art to be escapism maybe avoid reading commentary from the real life actors playing the characters.

If you insist on reading the commentary you will have to put up with how they interpret the art and how it relates to or is informed by their lives and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Could just be a load of nonsense, you see it all the time. People talking up their roles or the project and then the time comes and you realise they've got **** all lines. Trying to either grab a few free brownie points or point to a project's cultural importance when it can't stand on it's own merit.

Would be interested to see more of jessicas story before the move to arrakis, the bene gesserit don't seem the most forgiving or the most likely to live and let live after their plan was thwarted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The fact that there is yet to be a trailer at such a late stage... does suggests that filming and production had been abandoned ?

The fact that there is yet to be a trailer at such a late stage... does suggests that filming and production had been abandoned ?

Nope, filming finished 3 months ago, Brian Herbert announcing such on Twitter. So presumably it's in post production, with a trailer our once the FX are up to a good enough standard to cut a trailer.

SEQUEL!!!! (maybe)

In an article about the TV spin-off losing it's showrunner..

https://io9.gizmodo.com/hbo-maxs-dune-the-sisterhood-series-has-lost-its-showr-1839643455
    Legendary TV was not happy with the early work Spaihts turned in and opted to remove him as showrunner on the production so he can instead focus on the yet-to-be formally announced film sequel to the forthcoming Dune feature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

AFAIK the film in 2020 covers half of the first book. I wouldn't be surprised if some scenes for the sequel have already been shot.

I hope they don't "straight white male-ify" Baron Harkonin. He is an evil despicable man who happens to be homosexual but in the current political zeitgeist, that may not go down too well. Stay true to the source material please filmmakers.

Advertisement