Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market 2019

• 01-11-2019 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Laviski

in case somehow your excited....

https://connachttribune.ie/christmas-market-returns-opening-in-mid-november/
    Following the granting of the licence, builders will move into Eyre Square next Friday to create the festive village along the same layout as the last few years but trading for a longer time – this year it runs for 38 days due to the way the weekends fall, opening from November 15 to December 22.

the usual promising to make it better blah blah, beleive it when i see it. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

It's organised in such a way to benefit the shop owners that operate in galway ALL YEAR AROUND .
    Think about it ....
    They are hardly going to allow businesses from outside to come in and take their Xmas business .
    That's why you must fill out a form saying what you will be selling .
    Also it leaves before Xmas so as to leave the busiest last few days of Xmas shopping to the local shops .
    That's why in general its mostly food .
    That's why the myrick hotel have the bar section .
    If the Xmas market wasn't there it would make eyre square very dreary especially during November .
    It's a marketing ploy to get people outside of the city to galway to do their Xmas shopping ..... And it works !!!
    There's even hotels advertising Xmas market family stays to get people here .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is what it is.
    If you don't like it, don't go.
    Let the people exited about it have their fun.

biko wrote: »
    It is what it is.
    If you don't like it, don't go.
    Let the people exited about it have their fun.

......and let the people on a galway city forum on the Christmas market have their opinion even if they don't agree with your opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I just wish they would move away from all the food stalls nearly every one is selling the same stuff, can they not have stalls selling Christmas stuff like you would find in a proper Christmas Market, of course their would be food stalls just not as many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

It's a marketing ploy to get people outside of the city to galway to do their Xmas shopping ..... And it works !!!...

As is every christmas market everywhere surely?? They're not exactly exercises in altruism to benefit poor starving market traders....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I saw the Roisin Dubh posting on Facebook about accepting job applications for the Market. Do the people who own the Meyrick own the Roisin Dubh or has the market tent changed hands?

Mulled wine, Bratwurst, little wooden trinkets, Waffles, Venison burgers. It doesn't bother me at all. It's just for a few weeks and changes the feel of the city around the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Laviski

Big gripe with the market is they have no diversity. On this island there are far superior markets done elsewhere when they have loads of choice with not much repetition.

As an example Is there really a need for 4/5 "charcoal grill" stands.....

BeardySi wrote: »
    As is every christmas market everywhere surely?? They're not exactly exercises in altruism to benefit poor starving market traders....

But at least with other Christmas markets around Europe it's possible to actually purchase a Christmas gift for someone .
    As has already been said .... The galway one is full of food .
    The idea is .... Get people to go to it ...
    Realise it's all food ...
    Purchase some food and walk to nearby shops to get your Christmas presents .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I saw the Roisin Dubh posting on Facebook about accepting job applications for the Market. Do the people who own the Meyrick own the Roisin Dubh or has the market tent changed hands?

Mulled wine, Bratwurst, little wooden trinkets, Waffles, Venison burgers. It doesn't bother me at all. It's just for a few weeks and changes the feel of the city around the holiday.

No the Roisin run the beer tent, have done for a couple of years. Same as during comedy and arts festivals. The poster was just mistaken as to who runs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Laviski wrote: »
    Big gripe with the market is they have no diversity. On this island there are far superior markets done elsewhere when they have loads of choice with not much repetition.

As an example Is there really a need for 4/5 "charcoal grill" stands.....

No but as long as people are buying into it, making viable and probably profitable whats the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I like Christmas

• A good idea would be to promote the 3 markets in Galway as an all-in-one market experience

1. Christmas Market in the Square
    2. St Nic's Market which will be 7 days a week for the run up to Xmas too
    3. Tiny traders, get them a space for 7 days a week for the run up too

The Christmas Market Trail, start in the Square, walk down Shop street or through the Eyre Square Center, visit St Nic's Market and finish with the Tiny Traders somewhere in the West End

Now that would bring people in and have them walking the length of the town thereby allowing other businesses to benefit from the increased passing trade

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

A good idea would be to promote the 3 markets in Galway as an all-in-one market experience

The Christmas Market Trail, start in the Square, walk down Shop street or through the Eyre Square Center, visit St Nic's Market and finish with the Tiny Traders somewhere in the West End

Now that would bring people in and have them walking the length of the town thereby allowing other businesses to benefit from the increased passing trade

Didn't they try that one year with a second market around the Spanish arch

A good idea would be to promote the 3 markets in Galway as an all-in-one market experience

Ya that's what's been needed since day one. It's exactly how the Xmas Market is laid out in both Köln and Frankfurt, separate markets across the city with different themes in each one. Made for a great way to see the city also as you walked from one to the other.

Didn't they try that one year with a second market around the Spanish arch

Ya but I think the location doesn't help there due to the exposure to the elements and it was pretty much just another indoor drinks thing that was there.

One in Woodquay and then the one at St Nics would make for a good ramble.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But at least with other Christmas markets around Europe it's possible to actually purchase a Christmas gift for someone .
    As has already been said .... The galway one is full of food .
    The idea is .... Get people to go to it ...
    Realise it's all food ...
    Purchase some food and walk to nearby shops to get your Christmas presents .

Mr OBumble gave up being a market trader at St Nicholas market years ago, when he realised that only the food stalls were making any money.

People don't want to give market tat as gifts.

Mr OBumble gave up being a market trader at St Nicholas market years ago, when he realised that only the food stalls were making any money.

People don't want to give market that as gifts.

Surely it's down to the quality of the product?
    Like with a lot of things it's about coming up with the right idea .
    Has there ever even been a good quality Santa roaming around the Xmas market ?
    Would it not pay to have one especially at weekends when it got dark from 5pm to finish ?
    Let the kids get photographed with him free of charge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Where's the tat in St. Nick's? I picked up two lovely paintings there recently, one for myself and one which I intend to give as a gift. It'd be a nice idea if people actually went to look instead of assuming it's tat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Where's the tat in St. Nick's? I picked up two lovely paintings there recently, one for myself and one which I intend to give as a gift. It'd be a nice idea if people actually went to look instead of assuming it's tat.

I have bought many many super Xmas presents in St Nicholas market.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

I've happily received and given presents from the year round market. It sounds to me like ye were trying to push tat and when none of us bought yer crap then the whole market was written off by you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

pure.conya wrote: »
    I've happily received and given presents from the year round market. It sounds to me like ye were trying to push tat and when none of us bought yer crap then the whole market was written off by you

Nice try, but it was well before my time. He's been working in other fields since well before he met me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Nice try, but it was well before my time. He's been working in other fields since well before he met me.

Mr obumble ventured into many a hive before he settled with his queen

I’m only pollen your leg
    I’ll buzz off now
    WIG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Hoping they do German beer in the beer tent this year rather than Carlsberg like last year. Last year was the first year I didn’t go in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Redo91 wrote: »
    Hoping they do German beer in the beer tent this year rather than Carlsberg like last year. Last year was the first year I didn’t go in to it.

Yea the only thing "German" was the steins, which I found out today that stein is an English term and the Germans don't use it at all to refer to something that holds a drink, it just means stone in German :O :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

etxp wrote: »
    Yea the only thing "German" was the steins, which I found out today that stein is an English term and the Germans don't use it at all to refer to something that holds a drink, it just means stone in German :O :O

That's true! Always amuses me. The grey beer vessels are/were "Steingut" i.e. stoneware, that's probably were the Stein comes from. I have been told that the beer will be German again this year, so here's hoping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

etxp wrote: »

The steins were two weeks late arriving last year. Had to use pint glasses til then

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I see selling stalls started going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There is a big carlsberg sign over the tent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

What time is the opening on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Private Joker

There is a big carlsberg sign over the tent

Probably the worst beer hall beer in the world.
    I really like the market and the atmosphere it brings to town but why couldnt they get something more unique for the beer tent even some local brews.
    I'll be giving the beer tent a miss for another year.

Advertisement