Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork Marathon

Options
  • 03-11-2019 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Mad to do a marathon and wondering about Cork:

1. Is is very annoying having half marathon and relay runners there on the day?
    2. Would somebody who's never run a marathon before even notice this?
    3. How does it compare to Dublin marathon in terms of crowds out supporting? Are there alot of quiet areas? (I was up supporting at DCM this year and loved it!).
    4. Does anyone train for a marathon in km or will i just switch now and keep my kms for 5k races?

Please and thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

- No, it's a great boost as you go around to think people are only doing sections but you are doing the full
    - Yes but it's not off putting
    3. How does it compare to Dublin marathon in terms of crowds out supporting? Are there alot of quiet areas? (I was up supporting at DCM this year and loved it!).
    - support nowhere near as much as Dublin, but nowhere is, some quiet sections but a nice route.
    4. Does anyone train for a marathon in km or will i just switch now and keep my kms for 5k races?
    - Not unless it's a European marathon, all Ire and UK in miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

blub23 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Please and thanks

Agree with the above. The relay and half runners can be a bit distracting but they provide bodies to chase and the changeover spots contribute hugely to the atmosphere. The numbers doing the full are quite small.

It’s a lovely route and an excellent marathon. And of course you can train in kms, plenty of us do.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

The quietest areas in Cork are in the first half but most of the second half is then through the city and residential area so you’ll have support there when you need it more anyway. I’ve ran the full twice and didn’t mind the half or relay at all. It’s a bit of fun running through the relay changeovers and just stick in the middle of the road and no huge problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

sounds good.

Can I ask is there pacing groups and what are the pacing group times for the full marathon, cant seem to find this info online.

thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Why would you change to miles?!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

smithslist wrote: »
    sounds good.

Can I ask is there pacing groups and what are the pacing group times for the full marathon, cant seem to find this info online.

thanks in advance.

Pacing groups are from 3 hours upwards at 15 minute intervals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

smithslist wrote: »
    sounds good.

thanks in advance.

The year I did it the 2.59 pacers split the workload! When I asked them why - they were obviously very strong runners and well able for a sub 3 - they laughed and said they'd have had to train to do a full.

Very nice guys and did a great job.

Yes, there are quiet parts and one or two of the hills come at nasty spots but it's a fine race that deserves more support and better online promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blueberrypie

Hi all,

Yes can be off putting as you will be past out by people who are fresh as you may be dying a death. You may not be bothered by that. It is nice as there are loads of people running. Race organisers at one race It may have been Cork asked runners to wear 2 numbers one at the front as normal and one at the back so as you passed the full marathoners they knew you were a relay or half marathoner.
    2. Would somebody who's never run a marathon before even notice this? probably not.
    Cork just does not compare. DCM is amazing for support and no other marathon in Ireland comes close. Think fan zones, djs, live bands.
    4. Does anyone train for a marathon in km or will i just switch now and keep my kms for 5k races? Kms are signposted throughout the race but not as often as the mile markers.
    Best of luck.
    Would weather not be a factor for you? Cork=June sun/heat or torrential rain in the few years I have ran the relay
    Dublin=colder than June . Weather this year was unbeatable.

Advertisement