Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoganstand negativity.

• 24-10-2019 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Has anyone here posted on Hoganstand recently? Potentially a very good GAA site and forums being ruined by negativity and posters with mutiple accounts. Some very good posters too, tolerant, knowledgeable, with a sense of humour, but unfortunately they're in a minority.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭rrs

Yeah a few with USA as their location claiming to be experts on everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Has anyone here posted on Hoganstand recently? Potentially a very good GAA site and forums being ruined by negativity and posters with mutiple accounts. Some very good posters too, tolerant, knowledgeable, with a sense of humour, but unfortunately they're in a minority.

Yeah, its a pity as its potentially a great place to discuss club matches as the Hoganstand fora are localised to each county, but as you say it can be more or less unreadable at times

That said Boards GAA forum can be a disaster zone in the peak summer months too. That's why I love this time of the year and the club season in full flow - the trolls won't lower themselves to the club game :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Just like this place so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I got banned years ago for something. I;m sure Seligh will emphatise with them. There some really good posters but some annoying fkers.

At least ones here take a break between September and May

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Joined and posted there for a while but found it to be full of annoying WUM’s tbh. Definitely some good posters there though.

What used to annoy me most was that every single post you added had to be approved by a mod meaning it could be hours before it actually appears on the site. Not sure what the reason for that was or if it’s still the same but I found it completely bonkers at the time. It made it impossible to debate anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

Joined and posted there for a while but found it to be full of annoying WUM’s tbh. Definitely some good posters there though.

What used to annoy me most was that every single post you added had to be approved by a mod meaning it could be hours before it actually appears on the site. Not sure what the reason for that was or if it’s still the same but I found it completely bonkers at the time. It made it impossible to debate anything.

They didn't want to spend money on a system that would show user's posts quicker. Potentially they could have localised ads instead of the clickbait currently there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Do they still close the boards at 10pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

rpurfield wrote: »
    Do they still close the boards at 10pm?
    ha no. But wums still in place. Terrible site manned by a very small number of users

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

I find gaaboard to be better with less trolls albeit 1 or 2 savagely annoying posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I think the main issue is that the format is really outdated. Some posters constantly throwing up thesis style posts and trying to read them on Mobile is next or near impossible. Then it's just full of trolls who seem to get away with it. I think it's seen its day tbh. I use to go on every now and then to have a look but haven't looked at the forum in a long time due to it's format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

rrs wrote: »

In fairness, setting your location as the USA is a smart move, since if you admit to being from a county it just leaves you open to ad hominem replies because of the county you're from, with no focus on what you actually said.

e.g. someone from Mayo comments about anything and the responses will just be about how Mayo keep bottling things. Someone from Dublin could comment on the weather and they'll still just get an earful of abuse about finances.

Or just in general anyone from any county will get a reply like "and what have X won lately?!! Get off your high horse. " X being the county of the original poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭rrs

They wouldn't get abuse if they discussed things sensibly instead of being a know it all.. Some good posters from Counties who wouldnt be successful like Louth, Leitrim..
    These USA wannabes could claim to be from anywhere to go with the flow

Some maybe genuinely are in US while others clearly not..

Being proud of your county is a big part of the GAA so it nearly seems wrong to post there and not say what county you're from or where you're posting from. There seemed to be better slagging and banter on it a few years ago. Trolls are easy to spot and rarely stick around onced called out. Change for changes sake posters : rules, referees, games not entertaining enough, Tier 2 etc used to drive me mad. But in fairness they're pointing out possible problems but proposing some alternatives. The posters that wrecked my head more than others were those that knocked most things, knocked other people's opinions but rarely offered any alternative ideas themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭cms88

Being proud of your county is a big part of the GAA so it nearly seems wrong to post there and not say what county you're from or where you're posting from. There seemed to be better slagging and banter on it a few years ago. Trolls are easy to spot and rarely stick around onced called out. Change for changes sake posters : rules, referees, games not entertaining enough, Tier 2 etc used to drive me mad. But in fairness they're pointing out possible problems but proposing some alternatives. The posters that wrecked my head more than others were those that knocked most things, knocked other people's opinions but rarely offered any alternative ideas themselves.

It's the ones with 3/4 ac***** is the issue. Can tell them very easly and a lot of the time they're the only ones who agree with them. Some even have acoounts saying they're from another county

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Used to post a bit but grew tired of usual names just posting rubbish and turning nearly all the topics into anti dubs stuff.Harder to get a sensible discussion going about upcoming matches etc without the usual punch a
    And Judy carry on with posters seeing everything with their county specs on including dubs as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I used to read it regularly and post the odd time bit it increasingly became a place where people couldn't see past their own country colours and people with an axe to grind were let have free reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Gael85

Scoundrel wrote: »
    I find gaaboard to be better with less trolls albeit 1 or 2 savagely annoying posters

At least hoganstand has moderators. The gaaboard is full of trolls and must have 10 threads on anti dublin stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭cms88

Gael85 wrote: »
    At least hoganstand has moderators. The gaaboard is full of trolls and must have 10 threads on anti dublin stuff

Does it really? Plenty of trolls there who let a lot of bs from Dublin posters up. Then again a lot of it is more than likely the same person with different accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Dara McVeety actually name checked the site in a recent interview here in Cavan. He talked about players reading at the start of the 2018 league campaign that Cavan were certs for Division 3 from their own supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Nail on the head. Also, the forum is confusing as nobody seems to label threads as FB or Hurling which would be great. It's mostly football centric but there's enough hurling content that it'd help.
    HStand definitely has a fair share of trolls posting. Have given up other than a quick look. Boards.ie is heads & tails better.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Advertisement

rrs wrote: »

Likely Irish born.

Absolutely more than a few trolls, but it's those who feed the trolls that help them flourish.
    That said, calling HS a GAA site isn't really accurate as its a Football site that covers some hurling and camogie w/no separate forum which would help. No Handball coverage. I'll take boards any day!

Looks like Hoganstand forums are on their last legs. Without any noticd to users they chopped all the regional forums bar Cavan and Meath, plus the soccer (Elevenaside) and other sports forums. It looks a complete mess now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭celt262

Still easier to navigate than the new boards site though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Those in charge has made a total mess of that forum and they showed what they thought of its members by not contacting them prior to those changes.

Advertisement