Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzing pick-up

• 31-10-2019 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I have a guitar with two pick-ups, sliding on/ off selection switches and tone and volume controls. I can select either pick-up or both, and they work fine individually or together. The tone and volume work fine likewise.
    There's a problem with one pick-up. It gives a slight buzz when I touch it...but here's the thing...if I link the two metal pick-up casings with a screwdriver across them, they both stop working.
    I'm about to take of the control panel, what should I be looking for?
    (Please advise if there's a better forum section for this question, thanks!)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

When did this start? Was it after some maintenance? Sounds like a ground loop

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

feylya wrote: »
    When did this start? Was it after some maintenance? Sounds like a ground loop

It was there when I bought the guitar. (I was warned!) It's weird, everything works fine, and I could play it as is, but I'd prefer to sort it.
    I've checked all the connections as best as I can.

tony glenn wrote: »
    It was there when I bought the guitar. (I was warned!) It's weird, everything works fine, and I could play it as is, but I'd prefer to sort it.
    I've checked all the connections as best as I can.

PS The other pick-up is perfect btw

PS The other pick-up is perfect btw

After further prodding, I noticed that I can virtually eliminate the buzzing by touching any earth point (back of pits, copper sheathing etc) with anything metal (screwdriver etc). But only when I'm holding it myself.
    I have also spotted that the hot wire from the good pick-up goes to the relevant on/off switch, and the sheath to earth....but on the problem pick-up, the sheath goes to the other switch, and the hot wire to the earth. Does that seem right? Should I try swapping them? (I'm good with a soldering iron)

After further prodding, I noticed that I can virtually eliminate the buzzing by touching any earth point (back of pits, copper sheathing etc) with anything metal (screwdriver etc). But only when I'm holding it myself.
    I have also spotted that the hot wire from the good pick-up goes to the relevant on/off switch, and the sheath to earth....but on the problem pick-up, the sheath goes to the other switch, and the hot wire to the earth. Does that seem right? Should I try swapping them? (I'm good with a soldering iron)

Here's two pics of the relevant area btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Here's two pics of the relevant area btw

Looks like the previous owner was trying to put the two pickups out of phase with each other but didn't do it properly.

As you suggested, put it back the way it should be with the screen to ground.

Hoagy wrote: »
    Looks like the previous owner was trying to put the two pickups out of phase with each other but didn't do it properly.

As you suggested, put it back the way it should be with the screen to ground.

Thanks Hoagy, I knew it didn't look right, but I figured it must have been that way from the factory. I'll swap the hot and the earth tomorrow morning and let you know.

Thanks Hoagy, I knew it didn't look right, but I figured it must have been that way from the factory. I'll swap the hot and the earth tomorrow morning and let you know.

Yippee etc. That's exactly what it was. I swapped the hot with the earth and vice versa. Problem solved, everything working perfectly. I don't pretend to know anything about in/out of phase pick-ups, but I'm amazed that whoever did the original wire swap didn't realise the problem it caused.....and swap back!
    Thanks for all comments btw. Boards to the rescue once again :)

Advertisement