Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glass Bedding

Options
  • 29-10-2019 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Small bit of play in my Lee Enfield action (probably due to shrinkage) and I'm thinking Glass Bedding the action might stiffen things up and improve accuracy. I've tried soaking in Linseed to see if it will swell the stock but no joy.

There is sideways play around trigger guard and magazine.

Any experience with this? Tips?

What product would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

as far as I remember the material recommended is called dextron. Its a 2 part epoxy. I got 4 bedding jobs from a tub, it tightened things up group wise on 2 rifles, the other 2 stayed the same.
    Mask up your stock and use a good release agent, plenty on youtube about glass bedding to guide you through

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

Devcon 10110 is the product to use as it does not shrink when it cures. Hard to find anywhere that sells it, but a Google search will find it.
    This was the cheapest place I found.....
    https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/engineering-coating-and-repair-products/engineering-coating-and-repair-products/plastic-steel-putty-a/f/9025

Also here but expensive
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devcon-10110-Plastic-Steel-Bottle/dp/B00065TMTO

I have pillor bedded 5 of my rifles and all showed an improvement in accuracy.

I put photo's up in the Tips section here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66882815&postcount=62

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

If you read about bedding online most will use the Devcon because it is very, very strong and won't shrink when it's curing.

Just my 2 cents worth of info

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Should have clarified when posting the link that that this product is in fact Devcon (itw), it is branded as radionics own range however the data sheet shows its origin and part no.
    It is devcon 10112 which is iirc suited to curing in lower temp range than 10110 and i assume thats why this putty is available readily in these parts and 10110 is not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

Think long and hard about messing about with the bedding of a Lee Enfield. They are very fussy about bedding. Consider asking on a milsurp forum before you do something you cannot un-do. I do know that the barrel shoots best with an upwards pressure at the muzzle end, its not free floating like modern rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    Think long and hard about messing about with the bedding of a Lee Enfield. They are very fussy about bedding. Consider asking on a milsurp forum before you do something you cannot un-do. I do know that the barrel shoots best with an upwards pressure at the muzzle end, its not free floating like modern rifles.

Stock is all matching numbers too so I don't want to ruin it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

Cannot recommend the Gunboards military surplus rifle forum enough, they have a dedicated Lee Enfield board with a lot of people who enjoy these old warhorses and know the in's and out's of getting them to shoot straight.

https://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?55-The-Lee-Enfield-Forum

Also, bloke on the range on youtube is good too. He is an English chap living in Switzerland, and is keen on Enfields. He knows what is myth and what is reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I also wouldn't try and make the stock swell with oil, it will cause the stock to become soft and will result in it breaking.

Advertisement