Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Doctor Sleep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

Never heard of it till now but excited...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

yup thats looks decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Mr E wrote: »
    First teaser trailer just released...

I wanted ewan to still have the bowl cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

The book was very good. That trailer doesn't look too promising though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

3rdDegree wrote: »
    The book was very good. That trailer doesn't look too promising though!
    I had the opposite reaction. The book was only okay. The trailer looks good. I like the actors involved (McGregor and Ferguson).

Interesting that they used that musical cue from The Shining, given how much King hates that movie.

The writer/director doesn't have much of a track record. A few horror movies, and a bunch of TV work.

A sequel to a classic like The Shining is rarely a tap on the original, but I expect fans will be keeping an eye out to see if this is any good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

mikhail wrote: »
    The writer/director doesn't have much of a track record. A few horror movies, and a bunch of TV work.

Have you seen The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix? Mike Flanagan made is and it is brilliant. There is some amazing direction in it. His films may be hit and miss up to that point but I would be very optimistic with him handling a horror now after that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Have you seen The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix? Mike Flanagan made is and it is brilliant. There is some amazing direction in it. His films may be hit and miss up to that point but I would be very optimistic with him handling a horror now after that show.
    I saw he was credited with directing one episode on imdb, but didn't realise he had a bigger contribution than that. I haven't seen it, but people were raving about it when it dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'll definitely have to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Looking forward to this. Haven't seen a decent film for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder will any cinemas put on a double bill with The Shining.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So I presume this is going to try and thread the needle between the Kubrick film and the original book? Trailer itself looks very "OK", like if it wasn't for the blatant nostalgia trawling, it just comes off like a generic mainstream horror film.

I've read they completely rebuilt the Overlook Hotel set using Kubrick's original plans, intentionally impossible layout, doors 'n all. Always found that a fascinating little nugget of Hollywood design.

What odds on a CGI Jack Nicholoson at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. Haven't seen a decent film for a long time.

I think you may be waiting a while longer.

Saw the trailer in the cinema recently. The person I was with lent over and said
    "That looks absolutely terrible... worst trailer ever"

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wonder could Shelley Duvall have a cameo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

In terms of this following the Shining movie, the plot of the novel is ridiculous and doesn't match the original.

As a movie plot in it's own right, never mind the connection to Kubrick's film, I wouldn't be drawn at all to seeing this. It looks crap. The first trailer nearly woo'd me with it's nostalgia baiting, but seeing the actual plot come into view I'm completely put off.

Ewan McGregor is in my top 5 worst actors working today. He is so awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Shred

I've read a lot of King but only got around to reading the Shining a couple of years ago and I have to concur with the author; the film isn't a good/true adaption of the book (and I loved the movie when I was a teenager).
    I then read Doctor Sleep, enjoyed it (as a direct sequel to the book) and I was looking forward to this but the trailers make it look like a sequel to the Kubrick film rather than a direct adaption of the book which is pretty disappointing (but no surprise really given Kubrick's film is still pretty popular even now).

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Some early reviews are calling this the best King adaptation since Shawshank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭fluke

El Duda wrote: »
    Ewan McGregor is in my top 5 worst actors working today. He is so awful.

Funny enough I was thinking about this recently when I saw some promo stuff for the film. His best role was in the original Trainspotting but when I see him in anything else in the last ten years he just feels like he's trying to act, rather than ever really diving into character.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I enjoyed the book, this has a cast I don't like though. Shame.

• Advertisement

fluke wrote: »
    Funny enough I was thinking about this recently when I saw some promo stuff for the film. His best role was in the original Trainspotting but when I see him in anything else in the last ten years he just feels like he's trying to act, rather than ever really diving into character.

I completely agree. I havn't seen fargo S3 yet though. Apparently he's good in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm seeing it on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Acosta

fluke wrote: »

I've no beef with his acting but he's never managed to do a convincing American accent

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gerry Hannon

I'll for sure go to see this because I enjoyed the book (Shining and Dr.Sleep) and loved Kubrick's the Shining, be interesting if this is a sequel to the book or the movie version or if they will blur the lines and go with a bit of both.
    I see they cast someone as Dick Hallorann so seems to be following the book more than the film unless its just a voice part in dreams or visions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'll for sure go to see this because I enjoyed the book (Shining and Dr.Sleep) and loved Kubrick's the Shining, be interesting if this is a sequel to the book or the movie version or if they will blur the lines and go with a bit of both.
    I see they cast someone as Dick Hallorann so seems to be following the book more than the film unless its just a voice part in dreams or visions.

I suspect it'll be a bit of both - seemingly they rebuilt Kubrick's set for the Overlook, which seems an encouraging sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭RickBlaine

Just saw it, having seen The Shining yesterday. I haven't read the novel so this is purely based on the movie.

It is really nowhere near the psychological horror of The Shining. It reminded me most of an scaled down superhero movie, which was surprising. There is a group of bad guys with special powers led by a charismatic leader, a reluctant hero and a young protegee also with special powers, and they both fight for a mcguffin, in this case "steam".

The Overlook plays a part in the movie (as shown in the trailer) but it feels very cursory. It could have been any "significant location" that we've seen in a lot in horror movies and would have required just a 10 minute prologue to establish such a location.

With regards to Danny, again, he is just a guy with special powers. That's basically it. There are a few scenes dealing with his childhood but nothing particularly deep.

So from a tone and genre point of view, I struggle to connect it to the original. It would be very easy to strip away The Shining references and you'd be left with a fairly entertaining albeit unremarkable "people with special abilities" movie.

One big positive though is Rebecca Ferguson who is incredibly engaging and magnetic throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Saw this tonight. Went in with low expectations (had been watching South Park recently, the episodes with the member berries, so I was very sceptical of this movie going in haha) but was pleasantly surprised.

There's some very enjoyable fan service in there, but not too much of it. Not a particularly scary film, maybe creepy would be a better way to describe it.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the kid actor, she was really good.

There was one particular scene in the movie that I really, really didn't enjoy and thought it was totally unnecessary, apart from that I have very few gripes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

RickBlaine wrote: »
    One big positive though is Rebecca Ferguson who is incredibly engaging and magnetic throughout.

She's some bird

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seen it last night and while it's enjoyable enough, it feels more like something which would have more suitable as a mini series on Netflix maybe. The premise of the story would have been more suitable to that format I feel.
    Good few flashbacks to the original but they are quite distracting as there must have been some copyright issues with Jack as his flashback scenes use another actor and are reshot, whereas some of the others are actual scenes from the original.

Worth going to see but a little too messy and don't think it's good enough to have justified the sampling of the original. To have done that I think would have to have had to reach a much higher bar and this film just doesn't do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

How's the pacing? 2 hrs 30 minutes is allot to ask for a film that isn't a 4/5 it seems

Advertisement