Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't withdraw from Skybet

• 24-10-2019 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hello,
    I'm not sure if this post should be in banking or in Gambling. I thought people here might have some experience of the issue I'm having.

I have a Skybet account. When I opened the account I didn't add a card as I was only using it for Super 6. At one point I attempted to add my Bank of Ireland card but a message popped up saying this card not accepted. Not a problem, I wasn't going to need it really anyway.

A few months ago I opened a new An Post Current account. Last month I added the bank card to Skybet. Absolutely no problem accepting the card and subsequent small deposit.

Within a week I wanted to withdraw my winnings and have been trying to do it since then. I am now at the point where sky say that they simply cannot do a transfer to my account because their system no longer allows international transfers.

I have been in touch with An Post who confirm that the account can only accept SEPA transfers so Sky would need to do the Sterling/Euro conversion before the transfer. But Sky say they cannot do that.

I'm now left in the position that SKY are telling me "You need to add another payment method to your account" but I really don't want to have to open another (third) bank account just to receive their transfer.

Anyone ever come across this before?
    Any advice most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭montyrebel

get them to post you a cheque out for your withdrawal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

montyrebel wrote: »
    get them to post you a cheque out for your withdrawal

Most bookies don't/won't use cheques any more.
    their system no longer allows international transfers.
    So how do they pay other Euro customers then?
    I'm guessing you opened the account in Sterling?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I managed to get onto support to activate a bank transfer, they told me id have to do that every time. Sickner then was BOI charged a 7.50 fee as they say they their system picked it up as a foreign exchange. I have a euro account with skybet, they activated a euro transfer but for some reason BOI pick it up as foreign! I thought euro wide IBAN did away with this messing! To appeal I have to go into a branch, the chat support team cant deal with it.

This was about 5 weeks back so not sure if its a very recent change?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Is Revolut an option here?
    You have a UK bank account.

Il try that later today and see how I get on! Forgot about that, cheers. I know I couldn't use the card with Skybet but forgot about it having an IBAN associated. Iv'e won a small bit with them the past few weeks so could do with a withdrawal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭minibear

OP here, thanks for the responses. I'm still going around in circles with customer support. They say the reason I cannot withdraw to a Mastercard (the An Post card) is that An Post uses an intermediary bank and in the past An Post have refused to give sky the information on the intermediary.
    With reference to the same card in another email they say that A lot of their (Mastercards) cards can accept withdrawals from us but there are certain cards that they do reject withdrawals from us.

I even set up a paypal account having seen information regarding this payment method to Skybet. I then discovered that since August Paypal can no longer be added as a payment method to Skybet Accounts however if it already existed it could continue to be used. I asked, but they refused to allow my account to be Paypal enabled in order to facilitate the withdrawal.

It's all really frustrating and I'm wondering how much money people actually want to withdraw from Skybet. Surely this must have happened to loads of other people.

Someone mentioned a UK bank account but I think it was in relation to another poster. I don't have a UK account. Will keep this thread updated so anyone else in the same position might benefit.

I'm onto them at the moment, being told that they need the card to be added to the account (which it wont accept) in order to transfer to the Revolut bank account number! Seems a no-go. Ill have to go BOI route and dispute the "foreign" exchange fee that they apply eventhough Skybet is transferring euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭minibear

Bambaata wrote: »
    I'm onto them at the moment, being told that they need the card to be added to the account (which it wont accept) in order to transfer to the Revolut bank account number! Seems a no-go. Ill have to go BOI route and dispute the "foreign" exchange fee that they apply eventhough Skybet is transferring euro!

I'd be happy to pay the €7.50 just to get the money from them at this stage. It's in the hundreds, not thousands I don't know why they're being so greedy! :confused::D

Do you have an account with one of the main banks? If so add card from it and they can transfer to your associated bank iban via chat support.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tart29016

minibear wrote: »
    I'd be happy to pay the €7.50 just to get the money from them at this stage. It's in the hundreds, not thousands I don't know why they're being so greedy! :confused::D

Hi there, I'd like to know how you get on with this.

I am in a similar situation, opened an account with Anpost and considering to use this as my deposit method with Skybet. Reason is I don;t want transactions with bookies to show on my main bank account.

After reading about your situation this looks like a no-go?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭elgriff

Copying from an old post

Open a PayPal (I had one already). I then went to my AIB online and set up a direct debit to send money into PayPal just after payday. The details you need to set up the direct debit are available in 'my account' section of PayPal (IBAN, account # etc).

I have a couple of accounts. Coral and B365. When I want to place a bet, I'll deposit using PayPal and punt away.

Advantages
    - Much easier to keep track of. I put €50 in each month and that is it. Just over €10 per week max loss.
    - No betting showing up on bank account. As long as you don't involve credit or debit cards in the above, you will only ever see PayPal on your AIB account
    - Easier to budget. If I lose €25 in my first weekend of a new transfer, I'll take it easy for a week or two, as I know that I have only €25 left
    - You can have several accounts and choose best odds/offers, without your bank statement looking like a bookmaker's phone book!

Be Aware
    - €15 min deposit/withdrawal on 365 for PayPal
    - the bank transfers cost nothing, but take about 2 days
    - I'll generally punt away and if I made a €30 profit on a day, take €20 out or something (into PayPal). At the end of the month, I'll clear out the PayPal back into bank account just as the fresh €50 arrives.
    - No special fees associated with this

In the past I had no clue how much I was betting. Now I know I have made a small profit in each of the last three months and lost the €50 in each of the three months before that!

Advertisement