Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

YES Vicar Street, Sunday June 7th 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

So ticketmaster is down, wont let me buy em

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I got two just after 9:00. However, Ticketmaster won't let you buy singles or threes for tables in Vicar Street anymore. You can take the transaction right to the end - postal address, Visa details, Verified by Visa and everything - and only then will they say, "It's not you, it's us". That may explain it.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

I got two just after 9:00. However, Ticketmaster won't let you buy singles or threes for tables in Vicar Street anymore. You can take the transaction right to the end - postal address, Visa details, Verified by Visa and everything - and only then will they say, "It's not you, it's us". That may explain it.

That is EXACTLY what it was. I went to the jervis centre shop after trying for ages, the girl explained it to me. REALLY annoying there are 3 of us going and I had front row tickets, now im in the balcony :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Wow, so you can't go by yourself any more?
    I've almost always had a front row seat by myself in recent years.
    Pretty crap way to discriminate if you're going alone or in odd numbers.

Yeah. Outrageous. The ridiculous thing is that it lulls you into thinking it's a valid transaction, only to fall at the final hurdle.
    A friend tried to buy a single seat for another show several weeks ago - at a Ticketmaster booth - and was immediately being bounced to the side seats. This was as soon as the show went on sale. Plenty of table seats, but because he just wanted one, he was banished to the side. Crazy.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Ridiculous all right, if they don't want to allow odd numbers, you shouldn't even be able to get them in your basket.

Very poorly implemented restriction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Ridiculous all right, if they don't want to allow odd numbers, you shouldn't even be able to get them in your basket.

Very poorly implemented restriction

Same thing happened to me trying to buy last minute Lloyd Cole tickets last night, eventually figured out that it was because I was trying to buy a single ticket. It's TicketBastard though, their "Customer Service" is laughable.

There wasn't even anything in the "Ticket Info" section for Lloyd Cole to say "by the way because of the tables at Vicar Street, you can only buy either 2 or 4 tickets". How hard would it have been for them to add that much in. Tossers! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

No more "Going for the one" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 camanstar

2 of us wasted 2 hours yesterday morning trying to get 3 tickets for Yes. Failed every time at "Verified by Visa, its us not you" Eventually rang ticketmaster and was "informed" that it is a venue policy not to sell single or 3 tickets. Can't find this information on any site. I'm amazed that this hasn't been challenged! Is it legal to force the Customer to buy 2 or 4 tickets only?

I think people just aren't aware of it, which is why it's not become a talking point. They probably have some nonsensical justification about "not leaving spare seats", but why they've decided to suddenly implement this after the venue is open for over twenty years seems ludicrous.
    They can hardly turn around with a straight face now and say, "Well, statistics show we're left with a lot of spare, single seats..." By that rationale, you're expecting us to believe that ticket purchasing trends have suddenly changed, so this is why you're only doing this now (not that you should be doing it at all).
    They could argue that it's common theatre policy not to leave single seats, which is true for some venues, but it depends on the seats you're buying. Besides, if this was going to be a problem (and I dispute it is) they should have thought of that before opting for a four-person-per-table configuration, which now apparently can only be sold as pairs or in fours.
    The first I heard of it was in May, when a friend tried to buy a single seat for Bill Callahan at a Ticketmaster desk and was immediately thrown onto the side sections, despite the fact that the tickets had literally just gone on sale and the whole floor was effectively available.
    I bought a single seat for Marillion and was on a table with three guys who had bought their seats as a batch. Myself and two others bought three tickets for Cowboy Junkies and a fourth person was in the remaining seat, attending alone. These are just two of numerous examples. See? The system has worked for years. Why mess around with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

It's gas, the same seat is still available 24hrs later, all because of some new policy.
    Imagine the poor person for whom gigs are their only social outlet?
    You can't expect friends to go with you, just because of this.

It takes a lot to annoy me, but this is stupid.

It's gas, the same seat is still available 24hrs later, all because of some new policy.
    Imagine the poor person for whom gigs are their only social outlet?
    You can't expect friends to go with you, just because of this.

I go to loads of shows on my own, and I know others who do the same, but this is denying lone attendees the chance to get the best possible seat, which is simply unfair.
    Even with things like Toutless offering the chance to sell spare tickets, it shouldn't be up to the concertgoer to buy a pair and then try to broker a deal to get a taker for their spare.
    It's not always going to be easy to find someone who's interested, especially - and I say this as someone who's going to the gig - "Do you want to come and see Yes?" :rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Maybe all of us solo gig goers on here should join up for the gig :)

Ridiculous that a solo ticket holder can't purchase the best seat.

Surprised this gig isn't in the 3Arena anyway (with the curtains across the very back). Would have thought it more suited to their sound and audience?

Maybe all of us solo gig goers on here should join up for the gig :)

Ridiculous that a solo ticket holder can't purchase the best seat.

Surprised this gig isn't in the 3Arena anyway (with the curtains across the very back). Would have thought it more suited to their sound and audience?

You are kidding right??? Not a hope of them selling anywhere near enough tickets for the 3arena

EyesClosed wrote: »
    You are kidding right??? Not a hope of them selling anywhere near enough tickets for the 3arena

Yeah. They're nowhere near that level, even if they'd Anderson and Wakeman on board and Squire was still with us. They played the Point in 2001 and it was a pitiful crowd. Not as bad as Jethro Tull the same week, but still awful.
    If the Anderson - Howe - Squire - Wakeman - White lineup is deemed Vicar Street material, as they were in 2003, then the current lineup has to be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This must be one of the smallest venues they've played, I saw Moderat at Vicar Street in 2014 and its capacity is marginally bigger than what the original Little Big Tent at Electric Picnic held. Yes used to play stadiums like the Floyd and venues like the Glasgow Apollo.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This must be one of the smallest venues they've played, I saw Moderat at Vicar Street in 2014 and its capacity is marginally bigger than what the original Little Big Tent at Electric Picnic held. Yes used to play stadiums like the Floyd and venues like the Glasgow Apollo.

Vicar Street isn't that much smaller than venues they've been playing for years. Obviously, they used to be arena level (even ABWH played arenas), but they're not that size draw anymore. They played the National Concert Hall in 2001, which is only 1,200 seats and the Olympia with Benoit David, which is 1,300. This is a seated show of just over 1,000, which - given the fact that it's arguably the "weakest" lineup to visit Dublin - is the right size for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Doesn't help there is 2 versions of the band doing the rounds and the only founding member and original voice across the 2 bands is in the other one that has to say he's featured.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rockterrain

I understand Jay Schellen will be joining on Drums for this also - definitely up to the task. Pity Anderson and Wakeman not here but still, should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just checking now and if you pick 1 ticket you can get table 7 which is front row central.

next is table 19 which is 2nd row and central, behind table 7

https://www.ticketmaster.ie/yes-the-album-series-tour-2020-dublin-07-06-2020/event/18005759E8527878

13499s.gif

Section TABLE Row 7
    Full Price Ticket
    €55.00 ea
    Section TABLE Row 19
    Full Price Ticket
    €55.00 ea
    Section TABLE Row 33
    Full Price Ticket
    €55.00 ea
    Section TABLE Row 43
    Full Price Ticket
    €55.00 ea
    Section TABLE Row 48
    Full Price Ticket
    €55.00 ea
    Section TABLE Row 57
    Full Price Ticket
    €55.00 ea
    Section TABLE Row 64
    Full Price Ticket
    €55.00 ea
    Section TABLE Row 65
    Full Price Ticket
    €55.00 ea

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Just checking now and if you pick 1 ticket you can get table 7 which is front row central.

That's the impression you get. But unless they've changed this policy in the last few days (which I doubt), I'd be very confident that if you go through the entire transaction, all the way to the end, including entering your credit card details, you'll eventually get the, "It's not you, it's us. Something went wrong" message at the final hurdle.

Obviously, you're not going to do that as an experiment, because if they have changed it, then you'll end up with a ticket. But all those tables were being offered on the day of sale. I tried to buy one on Table 7 for a friend and it wouldn't let me complete the purchase.

Always find D and F upper balconies a good option in Vicar Street - especially to capture all the dynamics of a band of Yes' calibre. Good birds eye view and given size of venue still close to the action if you can get around 1-20 seat numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Always find D and F upper balconies a good option in Vicar Street - especially to capture all the dynamics of a band of Yes' calibre. Good birds eye view and given size of venue still close to the action if you can get around 1-20 seat numbers
    Also, the seats have backs, so not as tiring as leaning forward on a stool.
    Especially for all the oul lads that will be going to Yes

New Yes video released by Oliver Wakeman 'To the moment' from the Fly from Here era. Worth a watch. Band had a good sound back then - probably the last 'proper' reinvention.

Advertisement