Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I learned.... Trek Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Edward James Olmos and Yaphet Kotto turned down the role of Captain Picard. Could have been interesting!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Edward James Olmos and Yaphet Kotto turned down the role of Captain Picard. Could have been interesting!

Interesting but think it worked out :D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

One of my favourite villains, Ronny Cox, played Captain Edward Jellico. He played Dick Jones in RoboCop and Cohaagen in Total Recall. 

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Edward, from the recent Short Trek about Tribbles is played by the actor who voices Archer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

One of my favourite villains, Ronny Cox, played Captain Edward Jellico. He played Dick Jones in RoboCop and Cohaagen in Total Recall. 

Don't talk about him if any cubicles are occupied! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

and Kinsey in SG1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Jeffrey Combs (Weyoun and many many others) auditioned for Rikers role. He also played two different characters in one episode (Weyoun and Brunt). Finally, the role of Woyoun was created specifically for him.

Those are my Jeffrey Combs facts for the day :)

• Kiith wrote: »
    Jeffrey Combs (Weyoun and many many others) auditioned for Rikers role. He also played two different characters in one episode (Weyoun and Brunt). Finally, the role of Woyoun was created specifically for him.

He apparently also in the running to be Grima Wormtongue in Lord of the Rings, having worked with Peter Jackson on The Frighteners, but role ended up going to Lon Suder (Voyager) actor Brad Dourif.

Did not know he was in the hunt for Riker. Absolutely love Combs but much prefer him being the "weird" character and he does it so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,851 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Have to say, Weyoun is his only character that really did it for me. He was born for that role. Most of the his other roles, he was just annoying I thought.

https://intl.startrek.com/news/every-star-trek-character-played-by-jeffrey-combs-ranked

Especially that "pink skins" Andorian. Surprised he beat Weyoun to the top spot in that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Can't imagine Combs as Riker... maybe as Data?
    It would have been interesting to see Bill Campbell (the Outrageous Okona) as Riker, think he was one of the finalists.

The casting directors seem to being a few of the finalists back in supporting roles e.g. think the Traveller was a finalist for role of Data.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

• odyssey06 wrote: »
    It would have been interesting to see Bill Campbell (the Outrageous Okona) as Riker, think he was one of the finalists.

The casting directors seem to being a few of the finalists back in supporting roles e.g. think the Traveller was a finalist for role of Data.

I would have preferred him as Riker, to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Kiith wrote: »

Wow, he played Weyoun so well I almost Founder-shuddered at the thoughts of him playing Riker

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

odyssey06 wrote: »

I certainly could not have seen him play Data but maybe Geordi he could have been good at?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• I wonder if we're all being coloured by his Brunt/Weyon,?
    His mirror Brunt was a much more restrained character

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Daith

Combs could play Riker, Frakes couldn't play Weyoun.

• Yesterday I reminded myself of:

The colours of TOS are not Red, Yellow/Gold, Blue. They are Red, Green, Blue (As in the important RGB Colour scheme in the new colour TV sets). The Network wanted Trek to be bright as hell to drive uptake in colour TV sets.

The fabric used in the green uniforms combined with the lighting and film used resulted in the yellow/gold.
    It explains why Kirk's dress uniform and random tunics were a vibrant green (and a better colour IMHO), because their fabric and colour came through truthfully.

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com/2008/05/bill-theiss-lost-interview-rare.html
    Another quirk involving the original series’ tunics were the colors - in particular, “command.” Trekkies everywhere will swear Spock wore blue, Scotty wore red and Kirk wore gold. Wrong. The three Starfleet colors were blue, red and green. Lime green, to be exact. “It was one of those film stock things;” Theiss states, “it photographed one way - burnt orange or a gold. But in reality was another; the command shirts were definitely green.” As further proof, look at the wrap-around tunics as well as the dress uniform tunics of Kirk’s – all green. They came off as their true colors because they were constructed of different materials than the standard duty command shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Daith wrote: »
    Combs could play Riker, Frakes couldn't play Weyoun.

He would have been an interesting Riker. Would have stayed more straight-laced like Pre-beard Riker.
    He would have been a GREAT Data though.

I always found it strange that Trek used the same actors from time to time. I'm not talking about Michael Dorn playing Worf and his grandfather or even Robert Duncan McNeil playing Paris and that other guy from the TNG episode with Wesley - I believe (And it makes sense) that, initially, they were supposed to be the same character but then royalties came in that would have to be paid to the writer of the original episode so they decided he ahem...wasn't.... the same character.

No, I'm on about JG Hertkler playin Martok, an important, semi-regular character in DS9 and then turning up as a Hirogen in Voyager. James Cromwell turned up numerous times. But, for me, the most obvious were Rene Auberjonois turning up in Voyager. He has a very distinctive voice and way of speaking so to see him turn up in Voyager really took you out of the episode: "Why is Odo there?" It was so obviously him that I thought for a bit that it was actually going to end up being Odo - That there would have been a 2 or 3 story arc explaining how/why he was there.

Same with Aron Eisenberg as a Kazon kid in Voyager (I may have discovered a pattern :) ). That's not a Kazon. That's Nog!!!!

I mean there are many MANY actors out there I'm sure that would have loved a guest star spot on Trek (If only Voyager :) ) so why not use them? Sure, maybe it was a bit of a wink to fans but for me I found it annoying and distracting. Having said that, Combs is the exception. While Wayoun's mannerisms were a little similar at times to Shran's (The Andorian in Enterprise), Brunt was totally different. Very difficult to believe that they are the same actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Evade

No, I'm on about JG Hertkler playin Martok, an important, semi-regular character in DS9 and then turning up as a Hirogen in Voyager.
    Not to mention showing up in DS9 as another character. But I think Martok and Weyoun were only intended to be one off characters but the performance made the writers want them back. I'm pretty sure that's where the idea that Vorta are all clones comes from.
    I mean there are many MANY actors out there I'm sure that would have loved a guest star spot on Trek (If only Voyager :) ) so why not use them?
    Favours for a friend or contractual obligations.

• Evade wrote: »
    Not to mention showing up in DS9 as another character. But I think Martok and Weyoun were only intended to be one off characters but the performance made the writers want them back. I'm pretty sure that's where the idea that Vorta are all clones comes from.

Favours for a friend or contractual obligations.

Also, they are known quantities and probably onset with the other show.
    Sizes for makeup and uniforms are knows, directors and cast know them etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Daith

Evade wrote: »

Yeah, J. G. Hertzler playing Laas on DS9 always seemed strange. I mean he was fine for the role and certainly a different character but Martok was nearly a regular at that stage.

• Advertisement

• Daith wrote: »
    Yeah, J. G. Hertzler playing Laas on DS9 always seemed strange. I mean he was fine for the role and certainly a different character but Martok was nearly a regular at that stage.

Can be jarring but not being a cast regular means no regular pay check.

Casting Director: "Hey Hertzler, want to earn some extra coin?"
    Hertzler: Starts dancing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭pah

What about Mark Lenard playing a Romulan before playing Sarek?

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls031163556/

Ethan Phillips had a couple of bit parts before being cast as Neelix

pah wrote: »
    What about Mark Lenard playing a Romulan before playing Sarek?
    That confused me so much the first time I saw that episode, I had seen all of TNG before I saw TOS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

H
    No, I'm on about JG Hertkler playin Martok, an important, semi-regular character in DS9 and then turning up as a Hirogen in Voyager. James Cromwell turned up numerous times. But, for me, the most obvious were Rene Auberjonois turning up in Voyager. He has a very distinctive voice and way of speaking so to see him turn up in Voyager really took you out of the episode: "Why is Odo there?" It was so obviously him that I thought for a bit that it was actually going to end up being Odo - That there would have been a 2 or 3 story arc explaining how/why he was there.

Same with Aron Eisenberg as a Kazon kid in Voyager (I may have discovered a pattern :) ). That's not a Kazon. That's Nog!!!!

Rene was in Ent, i dont recall him being in Voy, any idea of the episode?

This looks to be apretty comprehensive list.
    https://www.imdb.com/list/ls031163556/

Suzie Plakson is another memorable one, the female Q, Fek'ler (Alexaders mom), didnt realise she played a human character on TNG aswell.

#26 on the list must be in every scifi thing going - he was one of the "aliens" in the Xfiles - big square head on him:P

• This looks to be apretty comprehensive list.

Suzie Plakson is another memorable one, the female Q, Fek'ler (Alexaders mom), didnt realise she played a human character on TNG aswell.

#26 on the list must be in every scifi thing going - he was one of the "aliens" in the Xfiles - big square head on him:P

Shran's kick ass 2nd also, no?

That's the Klingon devil isn't it?

Shao Khan in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation too.

• This looks to be apretty comprehensive list.

K'Ehleyr

Shran's kick ass 2nd also, no?
    Yep her too
    Evade wrote: »
    That's the Klingon devil isn't it?

Shao Khan in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation too.
    K'Ehleyr
    Close enough :pac:

• Advertisement

• Close enough :pac:

Indeed :D:D

450?cb=20180319140456&path-prefix=en

450?cb=20111003121637&path-prefix=en

She also player Dr. Selar (Vulcan) in The Schizoid Man

Advertisement