Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who would best represent Waterford in the next general election?

• 22-10-2019 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

The next general election is going to be less than a year away so maybe we can have a discussion on who would seem like a good candidate. Eddie Mulligan seems to have a couple of posts around the town for it. I assume David Cullinane will seek re-election.

Paudie obviously on FG ticket. Number of other FG councillors looking for a second seat too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The next general election is going to be less than a year away so maybe we can have a discussion on who would seem like a good candidate. Eddie Mulligan seems to have a couple of posts around the town for it. I assume David Cullinane will seek re-election.

Paudie obviously on FG ticket. Number of other FG councillors looking for a second seat too.

Paudie Coffey, Eddie Mulligan and David Cullinane. I’m very lukewarm on all three of their parties generally, but I think they’re all good people. John Halligan is a genuine hard worker too, but I think the work he does doesn’t translate well to the Oireachtas. Anyone would be better than John Deasy anyway. He’ll probably fcuk off back to the States anyway because he seems to be more interested in America than he is in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

The way I feel at the moment I'd vote for a trained chimp if he or she was guaranteed to be made a full minister. And we might get some government funding moving here for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭invara

Whatever about the runners and riders.... dealthly silence from the parties in terms of promises is ominous ....

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

The electorate in Waterford got what they voted for when they ripped Coffey out of his junior ministry. Absolute pack of fools down here and whinging now cos we've had no constructive representation since.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

New blood all the way for me.
    Definitely no independents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

John Cummins laying claim his got a ticket to run for the next election,are they going for 3 seats in Waterford?lets be honest Fine Gael are no friends of Waterford and we have been neglected long enough and some big projects proposed for here seem to be threatened due to Fine Gael not committing to Waterford,hope they get a big spanking in the elections

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Fine Gael running three now Cummins, Coffey and Geoghegan.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Personally I wouldn't be a fan of John Cummins at all, and I don't think he will get enough city votes to get elected, Paudie Coffey should get back in, he should never have lost his seat in the first place, as will David Cullinane, possible Damien Geoghegan in the West, mind you, he might do well to get votes from Deasy supporters as there is no love lost between them both.

The remaining seat will be between Eddie Mulligan, Mary Butler, Matt Shanahan and John Halligan, that is if the last two decide to run. I think electing someone on a single issue would be a huge mistake and a waste of a seat too, but given how well Matt Shanahan polled in the local elections, he would definitely be the front runner. I'd have Eddie Mulligan over Mary Butler all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Could be a tasty local battle between Coffey and Butler in Portlaw. I think Coffee puts Butler under pressure there and would need votes from elsewhere in the county - but I could be wrong. Gamble for FF to run a second candidate or not in the circumstances.

I don't think Cummins gets on that ticket if he lives anywhere else but Waterford City. Didn't do great at the local elections - albeit a different ball game.

Also interesting to see if the Green Wave returns. Should Grace O'Sullivan run she could definitely take a seat.

If she doesn't, would expect a battle between Shanahan and Halligan for 4th, on the basis that FF, SF and FG all take a seat each.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

hardybuck wrote: »
    Also interesting to see if the Green Wave returns. Should Grace O'Sullivan run she could definitely take a seat.

Marc Ó Cathasaigh is their candidate I believe. Would make sense as a Grace is an MEP - I’m not sure she can run in a GE. Maybe she could but then would probably have to give up her European seat if elected.

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    Marc Ó Cathasaigh is their candidate I believe. Would make sense as a Grace is an MEP - I’m not sure she can run in a GE. Maybe she could but then would probably have to give up her European seat if elected.

MEPs have run and won GE seats. Like a councillor in the same situation their seat is coopted to someone else if they're successful.

Pretty sure Joe Costello did that and gave his seat to Paul Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Marc O Cathasaigh selected as the Green candidate going by his Twitter post.

Doubt Coffey will be overly pleased with FG’s decisions to run 3. Be interesting to see how that pans out.

Got a lot of votes in Tramore - could be a dark horse and outside bet for fourth seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

I am surprised at people predicting that Butler will be in a fight for the 4th seat. She topped the poll last time and exceeded the quorta on the 1st count. Voters also didn't seem to particularily punish the anti-abortion councillors at the last local elections, so her stance on that unfortunately may not be an issue for the Waterford electorate.
    FG probably running 3 candidates because Geoghegan likely indicated he would run as an independent if he wasn't on the FG ticket.
    I can see The Greens increasing their vote, from the 4% last time, but not enough to take a seat.
    If Labour run a good candidate they could threaten either Halligan's (most likely) or Cullinane's seat.
    I predict Butler, Coffey, and 2 from Halligan/Cullinane/Labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

wagtail99 wrote: »
    I am surprised at people predicting that Butler will be in a fight for the 4th seat. She topped the poll last time and exceeded the quorta on the 1st count. Voters also didn't seem to particularily punish the anti-abortion councillors at the last local elections, so her stance on that unfortunately may not be an issue for the Waterford electorate.
    FG probably running 3 candidates because Geoghegan likely indicated he would run as an independent if he wasn't on the FG ticket.
    I can see The Greens increasing their vote, from the 4% last time, but not enough to take a seat.
    If Labour run a good candidate they could threaten either Halligan's (most likely) or Cullinane's seat.

Butler topped poll mainly due to lies about 24/7. That and her poor performance means she shouldn't get in this time. Likewise halligan will struggle if he runs. Surely people can't vote for these two again.
    Can't see labour getting in either.
    Shanahan and the green lad to throw a spanner in the works for the established parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mark will be getting my vote, but unfortunately I feel we re not really ready for change yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

wagtail99 wrote: »

I don't get this punish them because of anti abortion stance. In fairness they all came out and said they were anti abortion. They were honest about there opinion. It's all the other shìt they should be punished for. Butler and halligan should be gone anything they seem to promise on doesn't get delivered or gets seriously watered down. We need Coffey because fine Gael will still be in government. David cullinanne does his best but will never be in government. Mulligan might be better bet than butler but methinks he's going national for the mulla. Halligan will still have his base support whether it will be enough this time is another thing.ya can't predict west of the county because there stupid loyalty Gabe us that clown deasy for the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

John Halligan is burnt toast. I don’t expect him to run really.
    What’s going to be really interesting is where the Deasy vote goes, it is not all a Fine Gael vote so not necessarily going to stay with Damien Geoghan

Gael23 wrote: »
    John Halligan is burnt toast. I don’t expect him to run really.
    What’s going to be really interesting is where the Deasy vote goes, it is not all a Fine Gael vote so not necessarily going to stay with Damien Geoghan

He'll also be 65 by the time an election happens - it would be understandable if he was considering retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Never underestimate how set in their ways a big proportion of mainly rural voters are i.e. still voting a binary civil war FG/FF choice. So even though the city voted FF completely out of office in 1 election in the past 10-15 years because of their neglect of the city (Cullen the exception) and ruination of the nation, the rural vote will keep them in office.
    Same goes for FG; if they'll vote for Deasy, they'll vote for anyone once their a Blueshirt.
    The neglect of Waterford and our big aspirations for University status, a properly functioning and resourced acute regional hospital, airport, North Quays, IDA investment etc. etc. draws a 'meeh' from this type of voter. They will still stick their X beside an F_ on the ballot paper.

• Advertisement

Never underestimate how set in their ways a big proportion of mainly rural voters are i.e. still voting a binary civil war FG/FF choice. So even though the city voted FF completely out of office in 1 election in the past 10-15 years because of their neglect of the city (Cullen the exception) and ruination of the nation, the rural vote will keep them in office.
    Same goes for FG; if they'll vote for Deasy, they'll vote for anyone once their a Blueshirt.
    The neglect of Waterford and our big aspirations for University status, a properly functioning and resourced acute regional hospital, airport, North Quays, IDA investment etc. etc. draws a 'meeh' from this type of voter. They will still stick their X beside an F_ on the ballot paper.

You also have to look at the quality of candidates coming forward for selection in Waterford. We haven't seen the quality seen in other parts of the country, which impacts the representation Waterford gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

David Cullinane seems to be our most competent / capable representative, it’s just a pity he’s a shinner and therefore unlikely to be in a position to do any more than keep the others on their toes.

Gave Mary Butler a vote last time around but won’t be making that mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Gave Mary Butler a vote last time around but won’t be making that mistake again.

Good to hear! I hope she's consigned to the dustbin of history this time round. :mad:

Are the Social Democrats not running any candidates in Waterford at all?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah, there's something about a person who will try to undermine a landslide referdunem result via a number of means, like this
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/call-for-referendum-on-taxpayers-funding-abortion-services-1.3667052

Its hard to trust such a person.....

Oh and course there's this :pac:
    DSmhKmOX4AAFqpG.jpg

Why it obviously works as she got elected, wouldn't you think that candidates would say something less definitive, e.g. I'll work tirelessly to seek the return of 24/7 etc.?

It's up to the citizen to hold them accountable though of course.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why it obviously works as she got elected, wouldn't you think that candidates would say something less definitive, e.g. I'll work tirelessly to seek the return of 24/7 etc.?

It's up to the citizen to hold them accountable though of course.

Like any candidate regardless of party they are going to pick the soundbite which sounds the best, after all which sounds better to you.

"I'll try get 24/7 care in Waterford"
    "I will get 24/7 care in Waterford"

Majority will pick the person who says they will,

Cabaal wrote: »
    Like any candidate regardless of party they are going to pick the soundbite which sounds the best, after all which sounds better to you.

"I'll try get 24/7 care in Waterford"
    "I will get 24/7 care in Waterford"

Majority will pick the person who says they will,

Agreed but the it is important for individuals to interrogate the soundbites, or even briefly consider whether they are realistic.

Most of the claims made by candidates for local elections had little or no relevance to the role of Councillors and the business of the local authority.

Do the majority of the public have a good understanding of the role of their local representatives (either TDs or Councillors) and what they can influence - absolutely not it would appear.

The public will ask for better information, which is fair enough, but the average man and woman in the street needs to take more responsibility for educating themselves on current affairs in my opinion.

Agreed but the it is important for individuals to interrogate the soundbites, or even briefly consider whether they are realistic.

Most of the claims made by candidates for local elections had little or no relevance to the role of Councillors and the business of the local authority.

Do the majority of the public have a good understanding of the role of their local representatives (either TDs or Councillors) and what they can influence - absolutely not it would appear.

The public will ask for better information, which is fair enough, but the average man and woman in the street needs to take more responsibility for educating themselves on current affairs in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more,
    The water charges fiasco is a perfect example of how the general public fail to educate themselves and would rather blame those who they elect rather then admit to themselves that they failed to do one basic thing we should do before voting...inform yourself!

FG made it clear in their manifesto that they intended to bring in water charges, they got voted in by a large majority at the time and then when they try to follow through on their manifesto people are outraged
    :rolleyes:

On council level its even sillier, people accept all sorts of silly promises the person will never have any control or input over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Gardner

Advertisement