Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

A complete bottle job. Whatever about the decisions they blew a three goal lead in the game and a two goal lead in the shootout. Should never have been in that position. Desperate stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,955 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Had the match won twice there! Thats a sickener, gutted for them. Commentator seemed to think there was no foul there whatsoever, very hard one to take.

What I don't understand is how that foul could lead to a penalty stroke?? The attacker was nowhere near the goalmouth.....it's supposed to be only given when a "certain goal" is prevented (similar to a penalty try in rugby)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Strazdas wrote: »
    What I don't understand is how that foul could lead to a penalty stroke?? The attacker was nowhere near the goalmouth.....it's supposed to be only given when a "certain goal" is prevented (similar to a penalty try in rugby)

Right. If thats the rule doesnt seem like correct decision to me, he was about to run ball over line in all likelihood. Dont understand it either quite frankly.

Right. If thats the rule doesnt seem like correct decision to me, he was about to run ball over line in all likelihood. Dont understand it either quite frankly.

The umpire didn't even blow for a foul : the video guy overrules him and says it was the worst foul imaginable

The umpire didn't even blow for a foul : the video guy overrules him and says it was the worst foul imaginable

I wouldnt have a clue tbh. Sarah Scott, i think her name was on commentary, was adamant there was no foul, said the canadian stepped on the defenders stick and fell. Whether thats correct i dont know, will be interested to hear some informed opinion on it.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt have a clue tbh. Sarah Scott, i think her name was on commentary, was adamant there was no foul, said the canadian stepped on the defenders stick and fell. Whether thats correct i dont know, will be interested to hear some informed opinion on it.

I made sure to read up on the relevant rule and it says a penalty stroke can only be awarded if a certain goal is prevented ie. the attacker is bearing down on goal, is just about to score and is illegally prevented from doing so (quite a rare event in hockey).

It's similar to the penalty try in rugby, where illegal play stops a certain try from being scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I played and umpired hockey for many years, at worse that was a penalty corner at the end and not a penalty stroke, very harsh decision!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So what is being claimed here? Officials favouring the home team? Happens in all sports and unfortunately the Ireland hockey team have been on the sharp end of it this time.

So what is being claimed here? Officials favouring the home team? Happens in all sports and unfortunately the Ireland hockey team have been on the sharp end of it this time.

It's a very hard one to explain. You could understand the field umpire making an absolute howler, but for the video guy to do so and with the benefit of several replays. This wasn't a 50-50 decision, more like a 95-5 one (with him going for the 5 option).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It's a very hard one to explain. You could understand the field umpire making an absolute howler, but for the video guy to do so and with the benefit of several replays. This wasn't a 50-50 decision, more like a 95-5 one (with him going for the 5 option).

I`m not up to speed with all the rules and regulations of hockey. If this decision is regarded as highly questionable is there a post match appeal process available or is this the end of the matter?

• Advertisement

I`m not up to speed with all the rules and regulations of hockey. If this decision is highly questionable is there a post match appeal process available or is this the end of the matter?

I somehow doubt it.

It was a shocking decision though. It would be something like a ref in soccer asking the VAR guys whether he should award an indirect free kick for a minor infringement outside the box and the VAR people (wrongly) telling him to award a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I'm not sure of his qualification route to Tokyo (seems to be based on rankings as at 01.01.20), but Jack Wooley seems to be making progress towards the Olympics

https://twitter.com/Irishtaekwondo/status/1190353502666723328

https://www.taekwondodata.com/jack-woolley.ai7b.html

A big weekend for the women's hockey team as they bid to become the first female Irish team of any description to compete in an Olympic Games.

Fingers crossed they can secure qualification......they won't be lacking for support anyway.

Not sure there'll be much issue with the watering system today. Huge crowd predicted at donnybrook this evening, the force is definitely with them at least!

Not sure there'll be much issue with the watering system today. Huge crowd predicted at donnybrook this evening, the force is definitely with them at least!

The weather forecast is better for the finale tomorrow evening anyway!

It would be great if they can qualify......an Irish team competing in an Olympic Games with a fairly high profile among the public would be a pretty unique experience.

The weather forecast is better for the finale tomorrow evening anyway!

It would be great if they can qualify......an Irish team competing in an Olympic Games with a fairly high profile among the public would be a pretty unique experience.

Yep and not to mention compensation for the thievery in canada last week!

Yep and not to mention compensation for the thievery in canada last week!

It has to be a factor. I'd say the girls are saying to each other in private there's not a hope in hell they're going to let Canada come to Dublin and take away qualification, not after that fiasco last weekend :)

Definitely a full house at Donnybrook, the weather hasn't put anyone off.....impressive stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Anyone have a link for someone trying to watch in Japan?

Anyone have a link for someone trying to watch in Japan?

Try this one:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/hockey/50145880

• Advertisement

Finished 0-0 but conditions in Dublin are horrendous this evening, the rain is absolutely bucketing down and really slowed down the pitch

Finished 0-0 but conditions in Dublin are horrendous this evening, the rain is absolutely bucketing down and really slowed down the pitch

Seemed just about better team overall to me, no disaster anyway, all still to play for!

Seemed just about better team overall to me, no disaster anyway, all still to play for!

I thought they played well. Dominated the game mostly and then had to contend with monsoon like conditions in the second half. I'd say they'd be happy enough heading into tomorrow evening.....hopefully that blasted rain stays away!

Weather perfect in Dublin this evening for the second leg, not even a breeze. Hopefully they get the job done.

Very tense stuff this. Feel one goal would decide it. When we won that referral there, i almost jumped up like we'd scored!

Very tense stuff this. Feel one goal would decide it. When we won that referral there, i almost jumped up like we'd scored!

We're making very heavy weather of it and not creating enough chances - we played better last night. Hopefully we can snatch a goal from somewhere.

Nervy performance, didn't play well in those last two quarters

Canada looked much more likely to score in the second half, at least we have a chance in the shoot out

Fingers crossed, Come on Ireland.

Yes !

• Advertisement

OMG! Came back like Lazarus!

Poor Canada....what a way to lose it

Advertisement