Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mallow Bypass Built when?

• 24-10-2019 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello All,

Does anyone know when the Mallow bypass (N20) was built? If you were travelling from Limerick to Cork city, upon approaching Mallow from the north, the old road would have you leave the current N20 just before the fire station, travel along Beecher St, Shortcastle St, down Main St, across the Blackwater, and out the town on the R620, the R638 and rejoin the current N20. The old road to Cork crossed over the railway tracks at Ballynamona(current N20 does not), and it did not rejoin the current N20 until after Burnfoot. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The bypass itself dates from about 1985. By about 1990, the section from Mallow to the top of the hill was done or mostly done. The section from their to the city wasn't completed until about 1995.

You can see the original route here: http://bit.ly/2PoeDyF in orange, approximately following the railway line. It has something like 106 bends, which was reduced to about 35 with the new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JKBCumulo

Thank you very much for this. Information is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

there's also the "old Cork Rd" which left the route you describe at the top of Ballydaheen and went pretty much over the mountains. I know that's what it's called but I never traced the route. (see the red pin on map)

The route before the bypass was indeed a stinker, crossing and recrossing the rail line several times. I took forever to get from Cork to Mallow and was a very dangerous route.

old-cork-rd.pnghost image

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I have wondered a bit recently if there are capacity issues on the N72 (towards Killarney) junction, and whether the existing arch from the roundabout could be made unidirectional and the westbound sent via a new arch beside it. The existing junction leading behind the railway station would then become right in right out. This would require at least the bar on the southwest quadrant of the roundabout to be CPOed.

If the existing and new arches were widened, it could allow the southern approach to Mallow Station to become 3 tracks for a longer period which might provide some additional flexibility in moving trains off platforms to make way for others, especially if Mallow-Cork commuter frequency increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

well they started work of some kind this week on the Roundabout Tavern so I'm guessing that's a non starter. There is very little room for widening anything at that junction. Once the M20 is built, issues such as these should disappear.

The only issues at that junction are where someone is too timid to enter the roundabout, often people will wait for cars coming down from Cork which haven't even reached the roundabout.

• Advertisement
Advertisement