Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to travel on the train with a free travel pass

• 24-10-2019 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi. I am on disability for anxiety. Been on it since the start of the year. I will be travelling to Dublin in December to see a show in the 3arena. Going up by train from the carlow train station. Just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I go. I know for certain I can get on the luas without a ticket and if asked just show my public services card or with the FT on it for free travel. I'm not sure about the train. Some places say I show my card at the booking office in the train station and they will give me a ticket with Free on it. Other places say that like in Dublin to get through the barriers you just use your public services card and beep that like a ticket. I went before to Dublin by train before I had disability and to get through the barriers you insert your ticket and it pops back up again. I can't do this with my public services card can it. So many places say different things. I need to know for when I go. How do I travel on the train with a free travel pass do I get a ticket like everyone else but it just says free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muminpajamas

Go to the ticket office. The human being behind the counter will give you a free ticket when your show your card. Use as normal. Can also reserve seat online but costs money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 15196389

Go to the ticket office. The human being behind the counter will give you a free ticket when your show your card. Use as normal. Can also reserve seat online but costs money.
    thank you so much. I worry about stuff like this. I like to be certain I know what I'm doing. I'll do that. Show my card at the office. So many other places saying to use your card so I wasn't sure. Just need to be prepared. Thanks so much for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Irish Rail will provide assistance if you let them know in advance.

They should be able to help you with any assistance from entering Carlow Station until you leave your destination station and likely ensure you have a reserved seat.

All the info: https://www.irishrail.ie/Travel-Information/accessibility-onboard-trains/planning-your-journey

Here is some relevant info.
    Planning Your Journey and Assistance for Customers with a Disability

When you have decided to travel by train, where possible, please let us know in advance of your travel requirements so that arrangements can be made for you to have as comfortable a journey as possible. If it is not possible to contact us, we will do our utmost to provide assistance.

The more information we have about the assistance you require, the better we will be able to assist you.

When contacting us, please give the following details:

Date of travel
    Time of travel
    Departure station
    Arrival station (including any intermediate stations where you have to change trains)
    Nature of disability
    Assistance required
    Means of transport to and from departure and arrival stations eg taxi, private car and whether someone is meeting you at your destination
    Whether you will be travelling alone or with a companion
    Whether assistance will be required at both the departure and arrival stations (including changeover stations if applicable) and if so how staff will be able to identify you
    Any other details to assist railway staff or which you wish to clarify

If you need to cancel a journey for which special arrangements have been made, please let us know so that staff can be made available to assist others.

Email: iewheelchairbookings@irishrail.ie
    Phone: (01) 703 4837 (Monday to Friday 09.00hrs to 17.00hrs excluding public holidays)
    Contact your local station

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So basically if there is a person at the station you present the card and if there are any automatic gates produce you card to this.....

There is no need to worry as you are coveted to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

I just get on with my pass on busses I scan like a leap card,I've many a time been on a train and once an inspector sees my card its grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

triona1 wrote: »
    I just get on with my pass on busses I scan like a leap card,I've many a time been on a train and once an inspector sees my card its grand

You are to scan if there are machines to do so the same as the Luas.

tricky D wrote: »

They should be able to help you with any assistance from entering Carlow Station until you leave your destination station and likely ensure you have a reserved seat.

All the info: https://www.irishrail.ie/Travel-Information/accessibility-onboard-trains/planning-your-journey

Thank you so much :)

You are to scan if there are machines to do so the same as the Luas.

Thank you 😊

Thank you

So basically if there is a person at the station you present the card and if there are any automatic gates produce you card to this.....

There is no need to worry as you are coveted to travel.

Thank you

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »

Thank you so much for this :)

Gates are nearly always open at train stations I've walked through at kildare town with no one at the desk and more often than not I've been told to go on,the dart gates are always open that's how (as young kids say I'll just jump it)I'm not saying it's ok but as I mentioned once your face is on your card you are ok.

Gates are nearly always open at train stations I've walked through at kildare town with no one at the desk and more often than not I've been told to go on,the dart gates are always open that's how (as young kids say I'll just jump it)I'm not saying it's ok but as I mentioned once your face is on your card you are ok.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. The train station I will be travelling from the gates through on to the platform are always open but I'll be going to the desk to show my card and get my ticket. My free ticket. There is always someone there cause people need to get their tickets. I remember last time getting off the train up in Dublin I had a ticket I paid for myself. I remember there was absolutely no staff at the barriers just lots of people scanning and going through. I'd just hate to get stuck there. I'm sure it will be fine. I'll get my ticket from the office. Thanks so much for your help :)

No worries and travel well.

No worries and travel well.

Thank you :) Have a good day

Same to you.x

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Just to clarify the rules: you do have to get a ticket at the booking office for an Irish Rail journey (just show your card). If, for some reason, it is closed (it can happen on weekends at some stations, for example), just go through the gates, show your card at the other end and there'll be no problem.

For DART, Dublin bus and Luas, just scan your card, but no-one enforces the Luas - ticket inspectors just check that you have a card. On Dublin buses, scan at the machine on the right as you board.

twill wrote: »
    Just to clarify the rules: you do have to get a ticket at the booking office for an Irish Rail journey (just show your card). If, for some reason, it is closed (it can happen on weekends at some stations, for example), just go through the gates, show your card at the other end and there'll be no problem.

For DART, Dublin bus and Luas, just scan your card, but no-one enforces the Luas - ticket inspectors just check that you have a card. On Dublin buses, scan at the machine on the right as you board.

Thank you so much, this helps a lot.

Advertisement