Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have the To Let signs gone from the former Veritas Store across from the Cathedral? Noticed the windows are now white washed, clouded over. Is there something going in?

Whilst was only ever in it a few times, I really hope it's a new religious shop. Seems strange not seeing one there, also to piss off the haters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭tinpib

Not opening/reopening but Atlantic lock and key on Castle Street are moving to beside Alfie's (barbers) on Thomas Street, notice up in their window. I guess it's to the tech/phone shop that is vacant.

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    I see Golden Discs are advertising for sales assistants and store manager roles for a new store in Sligo.

Anyone know where this is going?

Where did you see the jobs advertised? It’s probably only a pop up Xmas store!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

They've left out the requirements in that job for the compulsory bleached hair, tatoos, beards and piercings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

I see Golden Discs are advertising for sales assistants and store manager roles for a new store in Sligo.

Anyone know where this is going?

Probably the old Aware unit on OCS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Probably the old Aware unit on OCS

That would be a great spot for it. Can't imagine a cd/loot shop bringing in enough money to pay off rent for a property there though. Hope I'm wrong. Ideal location.

That would be a great spot for it. Can't imagine a cd/loot shop bringing in enough money to pay off rent for a property there though. Hope I'm wrong. Ideal location.

I’d say it’ll be just a pop up Xmas store, gone again in January. Hope it will stay but rent/rates v sales, it might be untenable!

The units in Johnson Court are more likely the size that they would be looking for. No real market for shops like that anymore, with Netflix, Spotify, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

yep, HMV and zavii in johnsone court couldnt compete to the internet music and film download content and then xtravision .. really surprised GD has kept its head above water for this long TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Unit in Johnston Court been done up. Beside Jack and Jones. Not sure what was there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The units in Johnson Court are more likely the size that they would be looking for. No real market for shops like that anymore, with Netflix, Spotify, etc
    Was in the one in Cork recently which was packed..

.. some people just prefer physical media, especially in how cheap it's gotten (thanks to digital services like you've mentioned). Plus vinyl is selling better than ever.

Basq wrote: »
    Was in the one in Cork recently which was packed..

.. some people just prefer physical media, especially in how cheap it's gotten (thanks to digital services like you've mentioned). Plus vinyl is selling better than ever.

yes , i suppose its made a revival the old vinyl and all that. thats good that they do vinyl then - still makes you wonder how anyone can make a living with the rates they are ... unless you hapen to have a business down by the quay LOL ;)

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Unit in Johnston Court been done up. Beside Jack and Jones. Not sure what was there before.

Saw it today. J&J moved to the next (smaller) unit down and there were guys doing up their old unit so that’s pretty much case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Saw it today. J&J moved to the next (smaller) unit down and there were guys doing up their old unit so that’s pretty much case closed.

Jack Jones and Chloes were owned by same group. Both being put into one store, kids and adults together.

yep, Golden Discs going in johnstones court ....

yep, Golden Discs going in johnstones court ....

Wonder is it a permanent store or just a Xmas ‘pop up’.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Wonder is it a permanent store or just a Xmas ‘pop up’.

just listening on the ocean fm there and said golden discs have been doing very well lately which prompted them to open up a sligo store - so i suppose permenant , only time will tell. i wish them sucess, i wish all new businesses starting up in sligo success .

Only thing is , I would have thought the Record room on Castle St. would have had all that covered what GD do , and have been in Sligo for years.

just listening on the ocean fm there and said golden discs have been doing very well lately which prompted them to open up a sligo store - so i suppose permenant , only time will tell. i wish them sucess, i wish all new businesses starting up in sligo success .

Only thing is , I would have thought the Record room on Castle St. would have had all that covered what GD do , and have been in Sligo for years.

They're no good, I ordered a cd from there a few weeks back,on a Tuesday! He said its in stock in Dublin and would be there by the weekend and that he would text me! Still waiting for that text 3 weeks later!
    That's why I am glad an Irish company like Golden Discs are opening as opposed to failures like Virgin/Zavvi and HMV. Golden Discs will carry the stock and have an online presence!

I'm surprised they are not opening today as Friday is traditionally the day of new releases!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm surprised they are not opening today as Friday is traditionally the day of new releases!
    When is it actually opening?

Basq wrote: »
    When is it actually opening?

Tomorrow (Sat) according to the Sligo Champion and Ocean Fm!

Didn’t get a chance to go in yesterday! Is it any good?

493849.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Really hope this stays and does well. I still prefer buying cd myself. Might treat myself next week :)

Really hope this stays and does well. I still prefer buying cd myself. Might treat myself next week :)

I went in yesterday evening, great selection of vinyl , box sets and back catalogue stuff. The manager said that there will be even more stock coming and that the store is here permanently!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

I went in yesterday evening, great selection of vinyl , box sets and back catalogue stuff. The manager said that there will be even more stock coming and that the store is here permanently!

It does have the look of a pop up shop about it.

Had to pop in quickly on behalf of someone else but would love for it to be permanent..vinyl selection is good.

Currys PC World have moved next to Homestore & More up at the retail park and now will be incorporating Carphone warehouse (I dont know if CW will still be down by the Quayside SC still now)

Tomorrow (Friday 13th) they have an open day and OceanFM francie boylan show will be broadcasting there with chance to win prizes.

The building has 2 floors now and a lot more items on display:

497558.jpg

497559.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭tinpib

I was out in Currys last Saturday and the floor was nearly cleared of stock, it was surreal. I asked the lads working there and they said it was a clearance sale, they never said they were moving :rolleyes: I assumed it was just an incredible Black Friday for them, makes sense now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Currys PC World have moved next to Homestore & More up at the retail park and now will be incorporating Carphone warehouse (I dont know if CW will still be down by the Quayside SC still now)

Tomorrow (Friday 13th) they have an open day and OceanFM francie boylan show will be broadcasting there with chance to win prizes.

The building will have 2 floors now

That's some place now! The store was buzzing.

It has great model displays. Full of cameras, phones, tablets, smart watches and plenty of phone covers.

Harvey Norman have a big task I think.

Advertisement