Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever feel like playing video games is a waste of time?

• 21-10-2019 9:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,993 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Recently, I went on a 2-week holiday to the Middle East. I made sure I had a few days off work for when I came back. I thought I'd do something constructive with this time. Instead, I just sat at my PC playing a game (Crusader Kings II if you're wondering).

I'm in my thirties and I'm still playing games. Very different ones from when I was a young lad, mind but games nonetheless. I could be learning to code, reading more, getting more exercise, etc... I have a job, friends and other interest of course but do you ever feel that it's just a waste of time?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

only when I accidentally see how long I've been playing a particular game in some random stats screen

• Registered Users Posts: 32,904 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Each to their own I guess.

I was a gamer in my teens in the 80s, yes I know it was a long time ago.

It was coming into amiga / atari St when I stopped, just as I went to college.

For me, it was a natural thing to do. I felt like it was time to stop playing games. I know now it's different and men my age play games, it's just not not for me.

But as I said, each to their own. It's simply one form of entertainment these days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I’m finding that my gaming fills what time I have to spare. Several years ago I’d get an hour or two in most days.

Today I have less and less time to play games. My PC is barely used for gaming and I’m wondering how I’ll find time to play Cyberpunk which I’m really looking forward to. However I love my Switch and the few hours I get to play it in a week, its the perfect platform for people like me when family and work consume life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

Yeah I feel like I'm wasting my life playing video games....

Luckily, I have 2 lives left.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

One could argue many things are a waste of time.

Watching Love Island for months on end for example.

My take on it is if you can balance it out with other interests....then what's the harm?

Enjoy yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

NIMAN wrote: »
    Each to their own I guess.

I was a gamer in my teens in the 80s, yes I know it was a long time ago.

It was coming into amiga / atari St when I stopped, just as I went to college.

For me, it was a natural thing to do. I felt like it was time to stop playing games. I know now it's different and men my age play games, it's just not not for me.

But as I said, each to their own. It's simply one form of entertainment these days.

It's interesting that you stopped playing games probably 25+ years ago and still read gaming forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If its something I enjoy then I don't see it as a waste. I play games a lot more around this time of year with the dark evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Sometimes? I feel like I could have enjoyed the book I'm not reading enough of or watched a movie or tv series I've been meaning to look at but I think for the most part I don't think I'd be out trekking hills or learning to paint if I gave up gaming so I don't think it's a particular waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Gaming since the 80s and no, I dont feel like it has EVER been a waste of time. I am married now with kids and I still enjoy my gaming time some evenings of the week. It is my time to relax, my down time and I love it.

It is no different to watching crap TV, watching box sets, tv series or drinking in the pub every Fri, Sat, Sun. I am not for a minute saying that these are bad things, I am simply pointing out that what interests one person, will not internet another.

I find gaming keeps me young as mad as that sounds. My mind is kept sharper playing games across all genres. Using your brain while gaming is far better than just sitting on my ass half asleep watching drivel on tv.

Gaming is awesome!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,764 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Playing videogames - No

Excessively playing videogames - Hell yes.

Find myself playing less and less games at the moment and doing other things with my life. I only really use it to fill the time before I go to bed. However I had days when I just spent my evening playing games and I always felt horrible afterwards. It did feel like I was wasting my life.

I also find a lot of new games actively waste the players time, massive 150 hour games with a gameloop that is only worthy of 4 hours of gameplay stretched thin across the whole game, or terrible shlooters that aren't fun but using gambling skinner box tactics to keep you hooked. I've recognized that these games just aren't fun and a total waste of my time so I've migrated away from them and only play long games when I feel the game length is justified.

I actually feel that these types of games can be very detrimental to peoples mental health, especially when they are at risk of or suffering from depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

As much a waste of time as reading books, watching flms etc.

None of which I get to do as much as I'd like, so no

• Registered Users Posts: 27,752 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My missus used to complain about me playing for an hour or two in the evenings. But she saw no problem sitting down and watching EastEnders, Cornation Street and other crap like that every single evening for the same length of time if not longer.

It's like anything, do it to excess and it's bad but in moderation it's a great past time.

Unfortunately with work and life now I'd be lucky to get an hour to play every second or third night. The Switch is a godsend for short blasts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I could be learning to code, reading more, getting more exercise, etc... I have a job, friends and other interest of course but do you ever feel that it's just a waste of time?

You can't be constantly "on" all of the time, it isn't healthy. I work hard and I push myself to do lots of things, but there are also times where I need to stop pushing, to chill and do something mindless for a few hours.

Every hour I play a game is an hour I could have opened the laptop and did some more work, but where do I draw the line for that?

I'm not much of a "gamer", I play old PC games when I get a chance, there is something relaxing about just replaying Company of Heroes or something like that, just blasting through a game for a few hours without thinking too much about it. Sure, the shut-ins spending 40 hours a week playing games need to cop on, but somebody dropping into a game for a few hours is no different to watching a movie or reading a pulp novel.

Sure I could be learning to code instead, but long term it is better to switch off and reset for a few hours than it is to burn out by constantly having to do more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Honestly, yes, and there are times when I've put 60+ hours into some Assassin's Creed yoke and I'm going - as I'm playing it - why am I actually doing this? But, y'know, f**k it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I only play games I enjoy - so, no.

I'll rarely grind away at a game - unless I'm really close to a platinum.

I don't play that often, maybe 2-3 hrs a week on average, so I'm not going to waste that time on something that's not enjoyable.

I also find that because I only go through a few games a year, I can cherrypick the really good ones (at least the ones that get good reviews).

One primary reason I feel like playing video games is a waste of time is attitude the mainstream Games Publishers these days:

They don't give a SH|T at heart, about the loyalty / fanbase a particular game fan may have and the Marketing material is aimed at younger teenagers both male and female.

Churn out x amount of sequels of mario. "GET TO PLAY THIS ON THE PLAYSTATION 5 !!!"

Also, think about the last Games Convention in the Convention Centre near the Custom House in Dublin.

That left a certain memory with many video games players and did the community no good whatsover.

xieann wrote: »
    One primary reason I feel like playing video games is a waste of time is attitude the mainstream Games Publishers these days:

They don't give a SH|T at heart, about the loyalty / fanbase a particular game fan may have and the Marketing material is aimed at younger teenagers both male and female.

Churn out x amount of sequels of mario. "GET TO PLAY THIS ON THE PLAYSTATION 5 !!!"

Also, think about the last Games Convention in the Convention Centre near the Custom House in Dublin.

That left a certain memory with many video games players and did the community no good whatsover.

Mario isn't available on PlayStation :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,993 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Unless it's an iteration of a franchise I'm quite fond of, a remake of something I'd previously enjoyed or its the product of a reputable publisher then I just don't really bother any more. I've no interest whatsoever in COD or Fortnite or anything like that. It's just depressing seeing a game release with DLC on day one with plenty more on the way, lootboxes or microtransactions.

I tend to stick with either the above or very well reviewed titles.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The relevant question is "if you spent the time doing something else, would it make any difference to anyone?"

I work very irregular contracts, so can have almost no spare time between one and the next, or more time than I know what to do with. I also have several "To Do" lists for the house, garden, car, etc. that never get any shorter, no matter how many hours I devote to them. So these days, I look at what really needs to be done (usually dictated by external factors - the weather, extra charge for a missed-deadline, guests arriving, ...) and do it; and fill the rest of my day doing whatever feels good. Last week, I spent/wasted two whole days trying and failing to fix a broken clockspring cable on my Mégane. Objectively, I should have just ordered the part a couple of weeks ago and used that time more "productively" ... but feckit, the world would be still as messed up as it is - so enjoy your video games while you still have the use of your thumbs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I don't think its a waste of time, its just another form of entertainment. If we pull on that string then we unravel quite allot.

Like any pastime what matters is how much time we devote to it and as long as life around it is maintained then i don't think there is really an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Calhoun wrote: »
    I don't think its a waste of time, its just another form of entertainment. If we pull on that string then we unravel quite allot.

Like any pastime what matters is how much time we devote to it and as long as life around it is maintained then i don't think there is really an issue.

I agree with this. How can something you enjoy doing be a waste of time? I don't get this logic. As long as gaming does not adversely effect relationships/responsibilities then I see no problem with gaming as much as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I dont think its a waste of time, especially if it gives you a bit of headspace.

One trend that is frustrating though, is that it feels like every game is a service now, and if you cant devote 10-15 hours per week to it, you're left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

The whole point of hobbies is to do something in your spare time.

So to that end, all hobbies are a waste of time!

Most of my mates are now married with kids etc,

Playing a few games once a week on xbox live is the only way we keep in touch.
    If I can find the time that is !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,291 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I game less now than I used to so I tend to only play games that interest me and will stop playing something if it is too much of a grind so 'platinuming' is right out
    I will play the bigger games and try to mix my time with short and long games so I don't burn out
    Just realised I have probably been gaming for 40 years when I first laid my eyes on an Atari system back in '79 as a wide eyed 6 year old

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,993 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

BeerWolf wrote: »
    The whole point of hobbies is to do something in your spare time.

So to that end, all hobbies are a waste of time!

I don't know. An hour at the gym is probably better than an hour at a computer game.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I don't know. An hour at the gym is probably better than an hour at a computer game.

depends if your trying to git big, or git gud.

Recently, I went on a 2-week holiday to the Middle East. I made sure I had a few days off work for when I came back. I thought I'd do something constructive with this time. Instead, I just sat at my PC playing a game (Crusader Kings II if you're wondering).

I'm in my thirties and I'm still playing games. Very different ones from when I was a young lad, mind but games nonetheless. I could be learning to code, reading more, getting more exercise, etc... I have a job, friends and other interest of course but do you ever feel that it's just a waste of time?

My ex was a WoW addict. Thats all she did. Reflecting back on the relationship, we did so little together, because WoW always came first. Anytime there was a work outing or event, christmas parties etc where wives and girlfriends were invited, anytime my friends were getting together, my fathers 80th birthday, I had to make excuses for why she couldn't make it, because she was at home playing WoW.

I play the odd game myself. I love Counter Strike. I have spent a weekend on a strategy game once or twice and its grand when its once or twice. Just like going out and getting hammered now and again is grand. its letting off steam, but like drinking or gambling or any other harmful, addictive activity, if its everyday, every night, every weekend, then its time to get worried.

My ex, I hope, will wake up soon, or in a few years time, look back at the past 10 years and go "What the feic have I been doing with my time?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭Greyfox

True but an hour playing computer games is more fun :)

• Advertisement

What about an hour of ring Fit Adventure? An hour of gaming and exercise!!

Advertisement