Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Johnny Sexton appreciation thread

• 20-10-2019 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭

With his internation career effectively at a close bar the official announcement (he will surely go gracefully now, acknowledging time has caught up with him and avoid dragging it out, having learned from close quarter the sad way ROG didnt quit when the game was up), time to express our thanks and best wishes for the future to Ireland's greatest ever stand-off. A competitor, a winner, a rugby player will all the skills. Leinster, Ireland, Lion. Mike Gibson was from a different era and almost a different game, so I think its safe to say he has no real contender in his class for the title. Great days, and great wins. The epic battle with ROG to wrestle the jersey from him was dramatic. The total command of a game at his peak, a masterclass.

So many great moments, but while the real phenomenon is in how all 15 played their part in it, his pullling of the strings, technical skill, and sheer balls, the dramatic pinnacle for me will be the drop goal against France.

Thanks for the memories Johnny.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So appreciated that you didn't even spell his name properly in the thread title..?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jesus at least spell his name right TROL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

But can he do it on a wet windy night in Stoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I appreciate this TROLism the most because it really undermines the entire medium of the appreciation thread. This may be the finest example to date, a magnum opus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

A poor man's ROG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

I'm not sure who will retire but I hope that any players that are thinking of it should have one last chance to play at the Aviva before they hang up their boots with the national team. Hopefully the irfu can set up a match early next year, prior to the 6 nations to allow them have a send off in the right way, all of them deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Poster notwithstanding, probably best to wait until any official announcement, maybe it's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

omerin wrote: »
    I'm not sure who will retire but I hope that any players that are thinking of it should have one last chance to play at the Aviva before they hang up their boots with the national team. Hopefully the irfu can set up a match early next year, prior to the 6 nations to allow them have a send off in the right way, all of them deserve it.

I don't think they will set up a game just for him as they did not do that for even BOD. He will play in 6 nations and I say that be that. I agree with the OP (even if he is a bit Trollish) that ROG should have known the time was up but I think the management was a bit ruthless with giving him the heave ho. Maybe should have done that with a few more players over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

He said at a recent press conference that he hopes he and Murray have another couple of years playing together at least.

• Administrators Posts: 53,347 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We can have this thread when he actually retires.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement