Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schadenfreude

• 19-10-2019 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Why is there such enjoyment seeing Ireland lose amongst some parts of the public. The amount of people posting just to have a go is ridiculous. The soccer and GAA forum will argue with themselves, I post in both, but you have people coming in here having a crack. I genuinely don't see the motivation in it.

Tv, print media and companies will jump on any team seen to be doing well, you can see that with current Dublin team and the Irish soccer team when they are doing well, the rugby one isn't anything different. Boxing seems to be the only one we can do well in and not get full bandwagon. It just seems hypocritical that rugby gets dumped on regularly for that behaviour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Some people are pricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

Because the coverage of the rugby team is incredibly nauseating both because of the ridiculous hype that is generated and the sycophantic nature of the coverage.

It doesn't just apply to the rugby team I think people in Ireland by and large find excessive hype of anything quite tedious, it's just most other sports stars in Ireland don't tend to get the fawning type of coverage that rugby has gotten.

I like seeing the team do well but I find the coverage of the sport in Ireland nauseating.

The Dubs is a bad example of what you are trying to prove, people absolutely hate them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Dog Murphy wrote: »
    it's just most other sports stars in Ireland don't tend to get the fawning type of coverage that rugby has gotten.

That's what all island success gets you.

Even the provinces represent far more than any county or football club does.

In 2005 it looked like no Irish team would ever win the HEC again but we've won 6 since then, Connacht even qualify by themselves for it now.

GAA players tend to just be popular in their own county and the Soccer players live and play in England or further afield.

I also don't think they're fawned over. The very top levels might be but POC, BOD, ROG, and Sexton are very much world class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Because the coverage

Yeah that's a part of it. If you have no interest in it and don't care who wins or loses it's all too easy to get some fun out of winding up the die hard fans. If they got no reaction from doing this they would stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Because the coverage of the rugby team is incredibly nauseating both because of the ridiculous hype that is generated and the sycophantic nature of the coverage.

It doesn't just apply to the rugby team I think people in Ireland by and large find excessive hype of anything quite tedious, it's just most other sports stars in Ireland don't tend to get the fawning type of coverage that rugby has gotten.

I like seeing the team do well but I find the coverage of the sport in Ireland nauseating.

I don’t think that’s an issue confined to rugby. What about golf? I like the game but could do without Chairman Rory’s ’thoughts’ (many not golf-related) ad nauseam in the Indo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Because most Rugby fans call soccer fans scum-bags. So they deserve to be wund up to the hilt. And it's great craíc looking at them over compensating and hiding how annoyed and upset they are 'not'. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Because most Rugby fans call soccer fans scum-bags. So they deserve to be wund up to the hilt. And it's great craíc looking at them over compensating and hiding how annoyed and upset they are 'not'. ;)

I'd say it is a small minority who think football fans are scum. I have never come across it and most people I know who play rugby support a football team. I reckon in the past it was probably true but rugby is way more inclusive

One thing I find is that some rugby supporters think football is boring because of low scores but that is not the same.

It is a bit of reverse snobbery that people think that rugby supporters are purely bandwagon and don't really support it but pretend because of the relative success.

For transparency I live and die football and like rugby. But football comes first.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Why is there such enjoyment seeing Ireland lose amongst some parts of the public. The amount of people posting just to have a go is ridiculous. The soccer and GAA forum will argue with themselves, I post in both, but you have people coming in here having a crack. I genuinely don't see the motivation in it.

Tv, print media and companies will jump on any team seen to be doing well, you can see that with current Dublin team and the Irish soccer team when they are doing well, the rugby one isn't anything different. Boxing seems to be the only one we can do well in and not get full bandwagon. It just seems hypocritical that rugby gets dumped on regularly for that behaviour.

Because as Jerry Flannery put it, these people are losers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's down to bandwagoners in my opinion.

These people love 'supporting' the team when they're doing well, and love the enjoying of slagging them off during a bad result / form.

I doubt real rugby fans take enjoyment of their team losing.. just like any sport.

FYI, I'm not a rugby fan but just enjoy watching Ireland's games. I'm not going to revel in their loss though because I know what it means because I'm a sports fan firstly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

They find any success confronting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

Ardillaun wrote: »
    I don’t think that’s an issue confined to rugby. What about golf? I like the game but could do without Chairman Rory’s ’thoughts’ (many not golf-related) ad nauseam in the Indo.

I turned off McIlroy seriously during his excellent period of a few years ago because of all the hype and talk about his personal life, I've found him much more bearable in recent years since the hype has died down a bit with him not winning as many majors.I expect the buildup to the Masters next year to be intolerable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It’s because we all know the private schools and the rugby mentality and the type of status rugby players have in Ireland(Dublin) That’s it for me, I know so many good looking girls that have been with some of the rugby lads(some of them are so far punching it’s insane) and that taps into the jealousy. Because they’re more local than football players for instance it just compounds it.

It’s stupid but I think you’ll get that type of person appearing on message boards.

Also how aligned it seems with corporate Ireland and the status quo doesn’t help it’s case. Think of ROC Kelly’s old man, that sort, seeing their status knocked back and having to eat humble pie as their beloved Ireland get beaten by a new rugby country such as Japan or absolutely tonked by a country where rugby is more rough and less elitist, feels good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It's mad in this apparently enlightened time, with more information than ever at our finger tips, that people can allow themselves to indulge in shadenfreude, when they know it only really hurts themselves and feeds their own self loathing, the athletes most of the time couldn't give a toss, they are too busy trying to be successful.

Ironic that by taking pleasure in the failure of others they have doomed themselves to failure but they just can't delay gratification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭piplip87

I think it's down to the traditional class of the average rugby fan compared to the rest.

Rugby has been seen as a sport for the upper class and membership fees for young lads who wanted to play rugby reflected this. Plenty of rugby fans out there like myself who would have loved to play as young fella but the membership fees at the time where designed to keep the game in the upper class.

So when Ireland don't do well some people see the opportunity to have a dig against the upper class.

Jesus there is barely such a class in Ireland , Dublin is a dinky parochial town at best relative to the world.luckily it retains a rare identity still and people are somewhat connected, unlike large international cities with actual division. This exclusivity and entitlement is just embarrassing, it's a tiny place with generally good people, the last thing they need are "notions" about their class. I went to a small country school and we started the first underage rugby teams t that was pretty successful, rugby is there for anyone, it is just a ball, post and a bunch of mates, no need to complicate it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think that there is a weird chip on some people's shoulder about attention not given to "their" sport. Lucky for me, I enjoy most sports like a normal person so I never need to feel that way. :pac:

I saw some post on Twitter comparing media reaction to a rugby loss compared to soccer. Instead of asking for similar coverage of their own sport, they went on the attack calling the rugby reaction nauseating. Weird mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think what used to be called the DART accent types and Ross O'Carroll-Kelly's parody has stuck, it doesn't matter that say Kerry is a rugby county or that Limerick is a traditional hot bed the game is associated with South Dublin.

I haven't bought a newspaper in years but often the coverage would feature this sort of shot

PicMonkey-Collage.jpg

Which is more or less designed to annoy the rest of the population!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think what used to be called the DART accent types and Ross O'Carroll-Kelly's parody has stuck, it doesn't matter that say Kerry is a rugby county or that Limerick is a traditional hot bed the game is associated with South Dublin.

I haven't bought a newspaper in years but often the coverage would feature this sort of shot

PicMonkey-Collage.jpg

Which is more or less designed to annoy the rest of the population!
    Why would this annoy anybody? I genuinely don't get it. "People enjoy themselves at sporting event" more news at 6

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

Because its a minority sport in World terms but presented to us like its a world cup in soccer. There are 10 countries seriously competing (if that) and we have never go beyond the quarter finals. Yet it is presented like it is something profound. Documentaries made when we win friendly matches and then we get tonked when it matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

re PhlegmyMoses

Basically it says they are better than you - it's the old media version of an instagram "story"! Perfect people being perfect.

• Advertisement

re PhlegmyMoses

Basically it says they are better than you - it's the old media version of an instagram "story"! Perfect people being perfect.

Yeah the vanity aspect is annoying but in fairness who cares really, you don't get pissed off when your toddler shows off, this is nondifferent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The soccer team literally can’t win a game against anyone and they don’t get half as much abuse, at least not on boards anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

re PhlegmyMoses

How? It's 2 photos, how can anyone read an undercurrent to them?

SJW Lover wrote: »
    Because its a minority sport in World terms but presented to us like its a world cup in soccer. There are 10 countries seriously competing (if that) and we have never go beyond the quarter finals. Yet it is presented like it is something profound. Documentaries made when we win friendly matches and then we get tonked when it matters.

This is pretty much it. I don’t know if the media should show more awareness about this, like it’s not rugbys fault that it’s not a popular sport and if the media brought this up might undermine the sport and take away the buzz.
    People are too aware and too worldly these days to not realize that rugby is a minority sport. The best country is a country of 4 million people and is a nothing country in terms of history. Part of the thing about football is that powerhouses like Germany are the among the best countries. Brazil with a huge population is one of the best countries. USA, the global power aren’t that good but they have improved over the years and slowly producing better standard of players. In rugby, population means nothing, it’s just whether or not the sport happens to have a fringe following.,

BTW, I think even if other countries took rugby more seriously, New Zealand would still be one of the best countries, just because of how in their blood it is.

MadYaker wrote: »
    The soccer team literally can’t win a game against anyone and they don’t get half as much abuse, at least not on boards anyway

The "soccer" fans are so abused that we don't even call their sport football here, I think due to the superiority of gaelic football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I don't think it helps when you get people on RTE referring to it as 'The People's Game'. I think that kind of unfounded, self-aggrandising rubbish can contribute towards resentment.

I don't think it helps when you get people on RTE referring to it as 'The People's Game'. I think that kind of unfounded, self-aggrandising rubbish can contribute towards resentment.

Gaa is the undisputed champion in this country and would be considered the people's game if there is such a thing, I don't think anyone denies that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

MadYaker wrote: »

You need to check your understanding of "literally". It doesnt mean what you think it does, clearly. The soccer team play in a World Cup where circa 200 countries compete. They are probably abused less on this site because people realise that they are involved in a truly competitive arena rather than a sport most common to countries formerly or currently ruled by Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

SJW Lover wrote: »

24 teams in Italia 90. We drew 3 games and beat Romania on penalties. We got to the 1/4 finals when there was so many poor teams yet we still celebrate it to this day like it was a huge achievement? It happens.

I understand there’s a slight overhype from the media about the rugby team. But people taking enjoyment out of their country losing because of the media and the stereotype that it’s associated with D4 and upper class is just embarrassing and they have a serious chip on their shoulders.

• Advertisement

24 teams in Italia 90. We drew 3 games and beat Romania on penalties. We got to the 1/4 finals when there was so many poor teams yet we still celebrate it to this day like it was a huge achievement? It happens.

I understand there’s a slight overhype from the media about the rugby team. But people taking enjoyment out of their country losing because of the media and the stereotype that it’s associated with D4 and upper class is just embarrassing and they have a serious chip on their shoulders.

Not contradicting you, but I never really got the significance of Italia 90 until I realized that that Romania team was incredible.

But you’re right actually, it’s a stupid mentality. I think people who are really aware of class and status and see themselves not part of that class and would like to be are the most likely to be bitter. I like rugby too, i’m Just not that invested in Ireland’s fortunes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement