Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The strange affair of Dimmy Tooley

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both of them should be kicked out on their arses over this, but there's no procedure to do so and they'd just get re-elected anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

According to the Indo Niall Collins couldn't account for the anomaly
    He should have discussed this fact before Dimmy through him under the bus
    So who is telling porkys lads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

According to the Indo Niall Collins couldn't account for the anomaly
    He should have discussed this fact before Dimmy through him under the bus
    So who is telling porkys lads

Nothin to worry about. Just normal service for @fiannafail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Nothin to worry about. Just normal service for @fiannafail.

Fine Gael do be at the vote malpractice too, they're two cheeks of the same arse.

Fine Gael do be at the vote malpractice too, they're two cheeks of the same arse.

Agreed. But this is the Dimmy Tooley / Collins discussion.

Bailey and FG >>>>>>>>>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Does nobody actually have the job to verify that x number of people were present and x number of people voted? You would imagine this would be the most important thing that needs to be verified at each vote before any result can be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Does nobody actually have the job to verify that x number of people were present and x number of people voted? You would imagine this would be the most important thing that needs to be verified at each vote before any result can be announced.

Why would anyone rock the gravy boat, when your pay masters will just feck you over board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Surely the national parliament should have some basic procedure like at each seat you swipe your 'Dail card' to activate the automatic voting in your name?
    Typical zero planning even in the Dail, is it any wonder that extends to every major project in the land?
    Relying on TD's integrity is more than a tad foolish.
    For this case, surely a scan of the cameras should reveal any cutewhore behaviour...then sack Collins! (allegedly)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Oops!

You couldn't make it up.... Makes you wonder what goes on that we don't know!

If I clocked me mate into work on Monday I'd be sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 kingstevii

Is he claiming the benefits when he wasn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Can someone vote on your behalf like a proxy, if you instruct them beforehand to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Needs Must wrote: »
    Can someone vote on your behalf like a proxy, if you instruct them beforehand to do so?
    no.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Surely the national parliament should have some basic procedure like at each seat you swipe your 'Dail card' to activate the automatic voting in your name?
    Typical zero planning even in the Dail, is it any wonder that extends to every major project in the land?
    Relying on TD's integrity is more than a tad foolish.
    For this case, surely a scan of the cameras should reveal any cutewhore behaviour...then sack Collins! (allegedly)
    problem is it always cuts to the voting display as they vote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

In reality, it's a trivial offence. Dooley would obviously have voted with FF and none of the votes was ever likely to have a material effect. But it gives you an indication of how TDs view parliament. It should be a place where you are awed afresh each time you enter; one should be on their best behaviour, as I have been whenever I've visited. Instead it's a place where Mick Wallace is content to wear a sleeveless t-shirt and Jonathan O'Brien a full tracksuit, where Mary Loud McDonald and Luke Ming Flanagan are bold enough to confront another member, where "Youse don't give a fu*k" is so in-keeping with normal proceedings that it goes unremarked upon, and where all manner of TDs are content to shout over the Ceann Comhairle and entirely ignore parliamentary procedure. There's much to despise about Westminster, but when their speaker stands, MPs listen, unlike here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a club for the people who's daddies kept a seat warm for them. Looks like a finger print recognition system might be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There's much to despise about Westminster, but when their speaker stands, MPs listen, unlike here.

Like fúck they do.

Last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

This is his second major **** up this year. The guy is a moron .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

should have some basic procedure like at each seat you swipe your 'Dail card' to activate the automatic voting in your name?

Electronic Voting proved a little beyond us in this country.
    We must know our limits.

There's a few people sitting in front of the Ceann Comhairle. Sometimes four. Presumably with some clerical or administrative function. Vote counting probably comes under their remit. And ultimately the CC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Needs Must wrote: »

No, but you can agree with someone who intends to vote the other way to abstain.

Anyway, I'm sure Timothy's mobile phone records will verify that he was using it at the exact time of the electronic vote.

• Advertisement

problem is it always cuts to the voting display as they vote.

There has to be cameras rolling all the time?
    anyhow, Collins has admitted it according to that article, well after Dooley landed him in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

In reality, it's a trivial offence. Dooley would obviously have voted with FF and none of the votes was ever likely to have a material effect. But it gives you an indication of how TDs view parliament. It should be a place where you are awed afresh each time you enter; one should be on their best behaviour, as I have been whenever I've visited. Instead it's a place where Mick Wallace is content to wear a sleeveless t-shirt and Jonathan O'Brien a full tracksuit, where Mary Loud McDonald and Luke Ming Flanagan are bold enough to confront another member, where "Youse don't give a fu*k" is so in-keeping with normal proceedings that it goes unremarked upon, and where all manner of TDs are content to shout over the Ceann Comhairle and entirely ignore parliamentary procedure. There's much to despise about Westminster, but when their speaker stands, MPs listen, unlike here.

Mick, Ming and Jonathan were always present when their vote was recorded. How do I know ? because you can be damn sure the respectable suit wearing TD's like Dooley would be screaming from the rafters.
    I would suggest Dooley's behaviour is far more disrespectful to the Dail and the electorate than the 'casual dress ' TD's have ever been.
    Btw Westminster is no den of respectability.

You deem voting for another member 'trivial' then bring in some strawman about clothing to deflect.

It's unacceptable in every circumstance and against the rules of our parliament to illegitimately use someone elses vote as if it were your own

This is his second major **** up this year. The guy is a moron .
    it wasn't Dooley it was Collins

Boggles wrote: »
    Like fúck they do.

Last month.

You link a video in which, at one of the most tumultuous times in British politics, on the eve of an illegal shut down of parliament, the Speaker commands a near-silent house while he speaks. And you think that proves your point?

Mick, Ming and Jonathan were always present when their vote was recorded. How do I know ? because you can be damn sure the respectable suit wearing TD's like Dooley would be screaming from the rafters.
    I would suggest Dooley's behaviour is far more disrespectful to the Dail and the electorate than the 'casual dress ' TD's have ever been.
    Btw Westminster is no den of respectability.

You're on first-name basis, are you? It surprises me little that your type would find nothing wrong with their dress.

There has to be cameras rolling all the time?
    anyhow, Collins has admitted it according to that article, well after Dooley landed him in it.
    well we can't check the tape I presume the authorities can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You link a video in which, at one of the most tumultuous times in British politics, on the eve of an illegal shut down of parliament, the Speaker commands a near-silent house while he speaks. And you think that proves your point?

You're on first-name basis, are you? It surprises me little that your type would find nothing wrong with their dress.

I suggest instead of a snide personal remark you address the comment .

It categorically disproves your point.

They roared and screamed got up into his face and tried to prevent him from leaving the house?

You deem voting for another member 'trivial' then bring in some strawman about clothing to deflect.

It's unacceptable in every circumstance and against the rules of our parliament to illegitimately use someone elses vote as if it were your own

Straw-man? Could it be that you meant red-herring?

No amount of underlining distracts from the fact that Collins gained nothing from "illegitimately using" Dooley's vote "as though his own." It is trivial, and you are only objecting because it suits your pathetic, lowly politics.

Boggles wrote: »
    It categorically disproves your point.

They roared and screamed got up into his face and tried to prevent him from leaving the house?

Good god, are you that stupid? It was political pantomime. They were making a show of preventing the speaker leaving and bringing the session to a close, and he was permitting (even, endorsing) it because he agrees with them. He then spoke, as I said, with hardly any interruption.

• Advertisement

Good god, are you that stupid?

I think your flight is leaving.

Just admit you made a silly assumption and move on FFS, it's not the end of the world.

Advertisement