Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should we have left-turn flashing amber light?

• 14-10-2019 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

As a commuting cyclist and weekend motorist, I was thinking recently - is there a reason why we don't have a left-turn flashing amber light when the priority is switched to the other direction as a main stream rather than just for slip-lanes?
    There could be a red light when there is pedestrians crossing.
    Works everywhere else, why not here? It can only help the flow of traffic surely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Motorists can't be trusted essentially. That's why, I believe, all new pedestrian crossings don't have the flashing amber/ flashing green man combo as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The flashing amber also means yield to pedestrians. Which I never see happening. Theres one in clondalkin, and people always just drive through it. I've never seen a car yield there.

The flashing amber also means yield to pedestrians. Which I never see happening. Theres one in clondalkin, and people always just drive through it. I've never seen a car yield there.

This is why

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

We should have this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well yes, but flashing green also means for the pedestrian not to start crossing if they haven't, which also doesn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

No, we have people going through red lights all the time with no cameras or enforcement, what do you think will happen with Amber light.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Well yes, but flashing green also means for the pedestrian not to start crossing if they haven't, which also doesn't happen.

It's solely a pedestrian crossing. It's either flashing amber or red.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Does Ireland even have the road rule that you always need to yield to oncoming traffic (whether it be bike/pedestrian/motor)? Because I don't see anybody observing the rule ever.

The right turns on big interchanges where I have to wait in the middle of the road with my bike until oncoming traffic is gone, are the most scary for me as a cyclist. I feel like a sitting duck, a deer in headlights on my tiny bike in the middle of raging motor traffic. Of course I could also use the pedestrian lights and cross twice, but it would take me ages and ages to make any right turn in that manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There are flashing amber left-turn lights all over the place.

There's one at White's Cross on the southside for the traffic coming from Foxrock Church and turning left for Leopardstown, Sandyford Ind. Estate and the M50.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

We had them in many places, but they are now against the DMURS and are being removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

So they work everywhere else (including America where the standard of driving is atrocious compared to Ireland), why wouldn't it work here?
    Surely if you pull out in under a car on an amber yellow you would be in the wrong regardless, just like a yield sign?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you mean something distinct from an idaho stop, btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,869 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's solely a pedestrian crossing. It's either flashing amber or red.

The pedestrians have a flashing green light which means they can't start crossing, they still do so both motorists and pedestrians ignore the lights.
    So they work everywhere else (including America where the standard of driving is atrocious compared to Ireland), why wouldn't it work here?

They enforce it. You won't see a Yank speeding past a school or rolling through a red because it's actively enforced, but you'll see them driving scuttered because that's not actively enforced and they practice the sobriety test.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The pedestrians have a flashing green light which means they can't start crossing, they still do so both motorists and pedestrians ignore the lights.

There is no green for drivers on these lights that I'm talking about.

https://goo.gl/maps/xGCT8fs6mqimrM1PA

The only thing to yield to, is pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

I think there directional beacon lights rather than yield to pedestrians. The lights will turn red when a pedestrian crossing commences.

IE 222 wrote: »
    I think there directional beacon lights rather than yield to pedestrians. The lights will turn red when a pedestrian crossing commences.

The flashing amber is for yield and there is no road traffic it affects.

The flashing amber is for yield and there is no road traffic it affects.

I think the junction you've shown is a bad example. The amber flashing is not for pedestrians. If the pedestrian crossing is in use the lights will change to red. As far as I know the flashing amber is in place here because your coming off a one way street onto a 2 way street hence the right turning lane is a solid green arrowed light.

The flashing amber lights are yield for traffic. For pedestrians it will either be singular amber light as seen at zebra crossing or a 3 coloured pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Those lights are different to the middle flashing orange lights. Which start to flash as a "you're free to move on, once the pedestrian has moved off the road" obviously some pedestrians are faster than others. It's basically a proceed with caution.

That junction is also one of the slowest bottleneck junctions, there's 3 roads and a carpark filtering into it. If you get out of first gear during the day at that junction you're doing well!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

How about this left flashing amber turn from Dean St to Patrick St?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jQmssNjq8MkUBx4EA

It's going to cause ever worse jams around there if its removed and if drivers have to yield to pedestrians there you may as well remove it.

I think the junction you've shown is a bad example. The amber flashing is not for pedestrians. If the pedestrian crossing is in use the lights will change to red. As far as I know the flashing amber is in place here because your coming off a one way street onto a 2 way street hence the right turning lane is a solid green arrowed light.

The flashing amber lights are yield for traffic. For pedestrians it will either be singular amber light as seen at zebra crossing or a 3 coloured pedestrian crossing.

But there is no traffic to yield to when turning left. The reason for the lights when turning right is becuase theres 2 lanes of traffic going into 1.

• Advertisement

But there is no traffic to yield to when turning left. The reason for the lights when turning right is becuase theres 2 lanes of traffic going into 1.

A flashing amber is a warning light. The reason for what the warning is for will differ per set of lights.

If this was solely to give way for pedestrians then a simple zebra crossing would of been installed. As you outlined there is no conflict of traffic from the right so what's the point of installing a 3 aspect light if pedestrians can cross at anytime.

Theres a zebra crossing about 50 metres up the road. They arent going to put 2 that close.

Theres a zebra crossing about 50 metres up the road. They arent going to put 2 that close.

What?

So what's the point of these lights then. Why have a pedestrian crossing if they can cross anytime they want. If they can cross on a flashing amber then why the need for the red light and the coloured men lights for the pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

How about this left flashing amber turn from Dean St to Patrick St?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jQmssNjq8MkUBx4EA

It's going to cause ever worse jams around there if its removed and if drivers have to yield to pedestrians there you may as well remove it.

That turns red when crossing traffic has green. It's purpose is a 'yield to traffic turning right from Patrick St'.

Drivers should yield to pedestrians at any city junction anyway.

What?

So what's the point of these lights then. Why have a pedestrian crossing if they can cross anytime they want. If they can cross on a flashing amber then why the need for the red light and the coloured men lights for the pedestrians.

It's probably because of the traffic island with the well that predates putting lights on that junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I try and yield to pedestrians at these - did so last weekend and the car behind me sat on the horn as I let a woman with a buggy cross from one side to the other.

It's probably because of the traffic island with the well that predates putting lights on that junction.

No it's not. It's a pedestrian crossing meaning pedestrians will have right of way when the green man shows and traffic will have a red light.

I try and yield to pedestrians at these - did so last weekend and the car behind me sat on the horn as I let a woman with a buggy cross from one side to the other.

You were in the wrong, these lights are not for you to yield to pedestrians but to yield to traffic from the right.

Of course if someone steps out in front of you you should give way but the pedestrian is in the wrong as they would've had a red crossing light.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.8951974,-8.4762244,3a,75y,337.2h,75.32t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1scw1Uzrp6JtAsIBrL4uoQ3Q!2e0!5s20170601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Here's one in Cork. Unfortunately out of action off in on the day maps turned up. Red light when pedestrians are crossing and when traffic from the far right have green.Flashing yellow when the traffic from bridge on right have green. Works well. Don't see what people would have against them. Probably leads to lower waiting times for pedestrians given that there's no time given for to for traffic coming from this road have a solo run through the junction.

Second example in Cork at a larger junction.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.8814283,-8.5103155,3a,75y,329.4h,78.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdPW5kXntE1eCL7U8FDuNaQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Left turning traffic has amber at all times except when either set pedestrian lights are green.

• Advertisement
Advertisement