Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Squeeze at Cork Opera house (Oct 14th)

• 14-10-2019 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Yes it was a Monday night and a bloody wet one at that but that didn't matter as tonight Squeeze were in town and were on brilliant

Highlights for me were hourglass, black coffee in bed, take me I'm yours and pulling muscles from a shell.

A seven piece band with a drummer and percussionist that were fantastic hey they all were, bass, keyboards, slide guitar and the rest

Great to see two great friends Difford and Tilbrook still making great music.

Glenn Tilbrook is a brilliant guitarist

A great touch was that you could buy a double CD of the gig ten minutes after the show and yes I did.

Thanks guys for a brilliant gig. Sound production at the Opera house was top notch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

They're in Vicar Street tonight, Tuesday 15th.
    Paul Carrack was in Dublin last night and is in Cork Opera House tonight.
    He was brilliant, great band also.
    And he sang Tempted, which am sure Squeeze sang too.

If you're a fan of Squeeze, read Chris Difford's autobiography- an eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

Saw them in The Spiegeltent in Wexford on Sunday night and it was a brilliant gig. It's a tiny venue, and they drew a full crowd, the stage was so small the keyboard player was almost in the audience. It'll be interesting to see how Jools Holland fits his band in there tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sj20111

Are they performing with an opening band before them or will there be one tonight at Vicar?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

Tillbrooks son opened for them in Wexford. Band were on stage at about 8.45pm until 10.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

I saw Squeeze last night in Vicar Street.
    Great gig. Loved it.
    Glenn Tilbrook is a powerful lead: great singer, great guitarist. He is proper 'old school' - no changing of guitars, no swigging water, never left the stage for the entire gig.
    My favourites were Up The Junction, Pulling Muscles from a Shell, Cool for Cats, Tempted.
    A very appreciative audience that made me look young :D. They are 45 years on the go.
    And their Bass player, Yolanda Charles, is gifted as she is georgeous!

• Advertisement

Brilliant gig, was great to see them still giving it their all after so long together.
    Their new songs are great too, good to mix it up.
    And yeah, for once I wasn't the oldest at a gig:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Brilliant gig, was great to see them still giving it their all after so long together.
    Their new songs are great too, good to mix it up.

Even though they were fairly late out, they were excellent. Dare I say it, better than their last gig in vicar st one/two years ago. They had put the time into set pieces like the guitar only start of tempted that others joined in or the 9 minute black coffee in bed. I felt they played for longer than they had planned to, due to being late and still getting a great reception from the crowd. It was almost like they are a band that have so many hits they dont know what to finish on :)
    And yeah, for once I wasn't the oldest at a gig:D

The age difference was amazing. People in their 60s and teenagers all bopping along (well, the teenagers not so much but thats life)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I keep seeing the title of this thread and thinking it's about a crowd crush. Fortunately not.

Even though they were fairly late out, they were excellent. Dare I say it, better than their last gig in vicar st one/two years ago.
    I first saw them supporting U2 in Croke Park 1985*:eek:
    I met Chris Difford earlier this year on his storybook/gig tour.
    Down to earth, very sound and friendly.

You're right, so much better last night than 2 years ago.

That was Glenn's son as opening act last night.
    If I heard the name correctly, Leon, he's only 15!

* as a newborn, of course.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I keep seeing the title of this thread and thinking it's about a crowd crush. Fortunately not.

The crowd sure did have a crush....on Yolanda Charles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

I'm always checking for concerts but missed this one , would love to have gone , big fan for years,

decky1 wrote: »
    I'm always checking for concerts but missed this one , would love to have gone , big fan for years,

I'm gonna start unchecking for concerts, I'm going to too many.
    It's become an addiction.
    This month alone, so far, 3, and we're only halfway through.

I find if you wait long enough, most of the great 70s/80s bands come to the smaller venues in their 50s/60s, and the gigs are more intimate with less nonsense.

Which reminds me, lovely to see so few last night viewing the gig through their phones.

I'm gonna start unchecking for concerts, I'm going to too many.
    It's become an addiction.

Yeah, last year I had a look and if I went to every gig I wanted to go to in September to December, I'd pay nearly €2,000 on tickets alone!

I think Squeeze could get a bigger audience if they were a little bit cheaper. I'd say they'd be a brilliant booking for a festival as a legacy act!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Was at Vicar Street and all of us (group of 6) were all blown away by the gig. Venue 1st class, crowd really enthusiastic, and the setlist was perfectly balanced. Having the small bar next to the stage is brilliant.

Advertisement