Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewood Buy and Sell Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Out of direct rain, up off the ground with good air flow. Timber in lengths doesn't need to be covered but split logs would need to be. For denser species like beech and oak, it can take up to two year to season fully. Moisture meters aren't great at giving you an accurate reading of moisture %. Much better to weight the log, split it down and dry it fully in an oven or behind a stove. The weight lost is the % of water relative to the wet weight of the log. Ash and many softwoods can be dried to below 20% mc in 6 months (including the 4 summer months).

Just to add a little something,

I have noticed that the spring summer period is the best time for drying split timber in covered outside stacks. Probably due to the lower humidity typical of rising temperatures in the spring.
    Aspect is also very important, a stack at the crest of a south facing slope being the ideal location, and hilltop or windy place works well.
    4 small tall stacks will dry more quickly than the equivalent volume in a large stack. Its all about surface area exposed to the wind and a looser stack whilst a little more difficult to build dries much more evenly and thoroughly.

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Anyone interested is ash thinnings planted in 02, its in 3m lengths in a yard ready to go. Approx just over a lorry load in the mid west

Any luck shifting this Dozer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭memorystick

How much should I look for ask for these bags full of white thorn and ash?

https://sacks.ie/shop/bulk-bags/vented-one-tonne-bags-90x90x90cm/

I keep the bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

How much should I look for ask for these bags full of white thorn and ash?

https://sacks.ie/shop/bulk-bags/vented-one-tonne-bags-90x90x90cm/

I keep the bags.

They hold about three-quarters of a cubic metre, so around €90 or €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im looking for 1.6m3 of seasoned or kiln dried hardwoood in the Wicklow area. I need delivery too, any tips or contacts much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Im looking for 1.6m3 of seasoned or kiln dried hardwoood in the Wicklow area. I need delivery too, any tips or contacts much appreciated.

therre is one on your doorstep http://kse.ie/product/kiln-dried-hardwood-5cm3/

2forjoy wrote: »

sorry just seeing your post now, thanks for the link, will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BogBoy84

Hi folks, selling firewood in the north Offaly/Kildare region. Hardwood and softwood, bags of kindling and 20kg bags of coal also available. All very dry, has been seasoning for 2/3 years. Please PM me or reply to thread to ask about delivery and prices if you’re interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RobTree

Hi, I can provide an Artic Load of Ash for €1600 inc. VAT Delivered.
    Based in Clonakilty. A&F Tree Services 0830098738

• Can anyone recommend where to get good quality hardwood firewood in South mayo? Well chopped, as its for an elderly lady who needs to get it in the front of her range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

anyone selling lengths of ash whitethorn or spruce?,if so can you pm me thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭amber2

Anyone selling length of timber send me a PM please, Cork/Kerry area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

bassy wrote: »
    anyone selling lengths of ash whitethorn or spruce?,if so can you pm me thanks.

should add anyone in carlow/kilkenny/laois are doing this timber drop me a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Any recommendations on firewood shed size?

Planning on a a proper firewood shed

3 bed bungalow with 1 stove
    Insulation fair... not amazing
    Stove lite most evenings in winter and some full day burns

Currently thinking of targeting of having enough for 3m3 per year. And having a second bay for 3m3

3m3 is a fair bit of wood, is your garden of a good size. Because if its not storage for 6m3 will take up a lot of space in it.

And are you going to buy a log store or build your own? If buying to store 6m3 that could cost a fair bit, my own log store has space for 1.2m3 and cost just under 200.

Got the space alright. Keen to get it right.

Be a self build... thinking some sort of spaced wood cladding for airflow but keep the rain out
    A 6x8ft barna shed would have over 6m3 I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

https://youtu.be/3MabF5X5LV4

I found that video brilliant for building a wood drying shed. Followed it for the most part and it worked out really well.
    I used pallets for the floor though. I actually used heavy duty sheep wire for half of it as well
    Let lots of air through but strong enough to keep the wood in easily. Mine is up the field so aesthetics wasn't top of the list but it's very strong. I collect the roof run-off into an IBC tank for watering the veg etc as well

Few unfinished pictures of it here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109020287&postcount=35
    Finished the right hand side with the sheep wire and floored the rest as well

49801 wrote: »
    Got the space alright. Keen to get it right.

Be a self build... thinking some sort of spaced wood cladding for airflow but keep the rain out
    A 6x8ft barna shed would have over 6m3 I reckon

Figure out the cubic metres of the Barna shed and you'll know if it will hold 6m3. Though Id also say think the strength of the base, 6m3 of kiln dried wood dried to 20% moisture would weigh about 3 tonnes, might be fine for a few years but would imagine the sheds life span could be shortened with that kind of weight in it.

Air circulation definitely important in storing wood, without it the humidity will increase the moisture and then the wood wont burn as well.

Where do yo plan to buy wood in such a big quantity. And are you going to be seasoning it yourself?

Figure out the cubic metres of the Barna shed and you'll know if it will hold 6m3. Though Id also say think the strength of the base, 6m3 of kiln dried wood dried to 20% moisture would weigh about 3 tonnes, might be fine for a few years but would imagine the sheds life span could be shortened with that kind of weight in it.

Air circulation definitely important in storing wood, without it the humidity will increase the moisture and then the wood wont burn as well.

Where do yo plan to buy wood in such a big quantity. And are you going to be seasoning it yourself?

Never a shortage of trees down at farm to tidy up. Just reckon hauling to home to season would reduce handling and be more convenient.

https://youtu.be/3MabF5X5LV4

I found that video brilliant for building a wood drying shed. Followed it for the most part and it worked out really well.
    I used pallets for the floor though. I actually used heavy duty sheep wire for half of it as well
    Let lots of air through but strong enough to keep the wood in easily. Mine is up the field so aesthetics wasn't top of the list but it's very strong. I collect the roof run-off into an IBC tank for watering the veg etc as well

Few unfinished pictures of it here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109020287&postcount=35
    Finished the right hand side with the sheep wire and floored the rest as well

Nice job ðŸ‘
    In one half of your shelter I reckon you’d have space for 4m3 if you stack 1m high there. And you’d have space to go almost go double height if you liked.

So you’ve a good amount of storage there!

How much you reckon you burn in a year? And for how many fires?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Never a shortage of trees down at farm to tidy up. Just reckon hauling to home to season would reduce handling and be more convenient.

To reduce handling where you have a farm and tractor do the following
    *buy ibc cages
    *fill them at source,
    *cover top and leave them in well ventilated space
    *come burning season drop to back door
    *buy a moisture meter

On wood, cut in at least a month before it buds, when moisture content is lowest. Cut, split and get in cages straight away.

That way wood cut in February March will be perfect come the winter.

Ash I cut in January//February is now at 25% and will be under 20% in plenty of time for winter

Getting wood to sub 20%, especially with a good stove means high efficiency and less wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,339 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can one bring truck load of ash from uk to Ireland, unprocessed roundwood . SO many tales, yes, no, maybe, yes, no , of course,, free movement, no , yes..

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Can one bring truck load of ash from uk to Ireland, unprocessed roundwood . SO many tales, yes, no, maybe, yes, no , of course,, free movement, no , yes..

FFS

Probably a VERY BAD IDEA, how the **** do you think ash dieback got here? you got it, imported trees. Now there is another threat to our beloved Ash, the emerald ash borer beetle, European trees with no resistance already decimated by ash dieback are being exterminated by this beetle, its spreading westwards from Moscow and is though to have already reached Sweden.

There should be plenty of Ash available on the Irish market shortly, rumour has it there's a new scheme from the dept of ag in the pipeline and many forest owners will be liquidating their infected stands of ash.

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blackcurrants

Felling licensees would be necessary for any new scheme and that seems to be a major issue at the moment! Coilte won't sell softwood to the private sector in the south-east and there's very little ash available with people waiting on these schemes from the dept. while their ash rots standing. Its going to be an interesting firewood season ahead. I'd be importing from the UK if it was an option and the price was right.

Where/how would you import from the UK and is it a massive quantity to make it worthwhile?

And do Coilte only sell in big quantities like lorry loads or do they ever do crates. I saw they're making walking trails in 9 of their forests in Wicklow at the moment and they will be felling a lot of trees to do so.

Where/how would you import from the UK and is it a massive quantity to make it worthwhile?

And do Coilte only sell in big quantities like lorry loads or do they ever do crates. I saw they're making walking trails in 9 of their forests in Wicklow at the moment and they will be felling a lot of trees to do so.

Import it by buying it roadside in UK, Roundwood, 10ft lengths, truck load, 26 ton.

I know when dieback wasn't here that Ireland wanted restrictions on it's movement, but had to prove to EU it wasn't here, due to free movement laws so on. But it's very much here now, so I was wondering is the free movement allowed.I see some stuff on it dated 2012, but what is story today.

Collite not selling firewood at moment, due to lack of felling licences, not a stick in the country, hardwood wise.

Probably a VERY BAD IDEA, how the **** do you think ash dieback got here? you got it, imported trees. Now there is another threat to our beloved Ash, the emerald ash borer beetle, European trees with no resistance already decimated by ash dieback are being exterminated by this beetle, its spreading westwards from Moscow and is though to have already reached Sweden.

There should be plenty of Ash available on the Irish market shortly, rumour has it there's a new scheme from the dept of ag in the pipeline and many forest owners will be liquidating their infected stands of ash.

tim

Yes but now it is here. I know EU lifted restrictions on European Ash movement few weeks ago.
    A free for all now it seems.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1245917/brexit-news-latest-eu-law-ash-dieback-british-wildlife-trees-council-woodland-trust

https://www.endsreport.com/article/1672994/uk-fears-second-wave-ash-dieback-fungus-eu-lifts-biosecurity-measures

One can only assume the ban on it's movement was lifted for all of EU, not just UK, so Ireland too I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Nice job ðŸ‘
    In one half of your shelter I reckon you’d have space for 4m3 if you stack 1m high there. And you’d have space to go almost go double height if you liked.

So you’ve a good amount of storage there!

How much you reckon you burn in a year? And for how many fires?

Sorry, only saw this now. I had the offer of a good lash of oak and beech that I might not get regularly and then a work colleague needed to get rid of some big old sycamore so I just build enough to hold that for now. I planted 100s of trees up the back and plan to coppice them and use them for firewood in a few years time so even though I might never need all the room, I had the materials at the time so just built it. I also use it for storing rough timber to keep it out of the elements. I've a few gardening tools stored on the walls etc as well.
    We only have one stove and use a few cubic metres a year but I couldn't tell you how much exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

To reduce handling where you have a farm and tractor do the following
    *buy ibc cages
    *fill them at source,
    *cover top and leave them in well ventilated space
    *come burning season drop to back door
    *buy a moisture meter

On wood, cut in at least a month before it buds, when moisture content is lowest. Cut, split and get in cages straight away.

That way wood cut in February March will be perfect come the winter.

Ash I cut in January//February is now at 25% and will be under 20% in plenty of time for winter

Getting wood to sub 20%, especially with a good stove means high efficiency and less wood.

That sounds like a good result in only 1 year but I prefer to get ash and sycamore down to approx 10% moisture content on a 4 or 5 year rotation.

* Cut tree down in December, cut up on a dry day and stack outside raised off the ground and under a couple of weighed-down sheets of galvanise or something similar.
    * The following summer pick a dry day to chop it and move into into a well ventilated shed (thrown loosely not closely stacked). If you bring it in wet you will get mould particularly with sycamore. Maybe do this in stages so that all the wood is not thrown into a shed at the same time.
    * I use different sheds or different divisions in a shed for wood from different years. The wood would be left for at least 2 years in this shed.
    * For the final year or two before burning I bring the wood into a metal shed where I find the heat off the sun coming into the shed via perspex in the roof finishes it off very nicely.

Sounds like a lot of work and it probably is but its a hobby of sorts and I end up with very dry firewood that will light in a stove if you wave a match anywhere in the general direction of it. I also cut up the small branches of every tree I cut for my own kindling.

Trees grow so fast in most parts of this country that I am amazed that posters here are discussing going to the trouble of importing firewood. I am sure that it should be possible to find a farmer who would let you cut down and clear old trees for free. There are many dangerous old trees around covered in ivy that farmers should be keen to see the back off. The typical large farmer will have hundreds of hardwood trees in hedges around their farms and many of them will want one or two removed at any one time for one reason or another.

Advertisement