Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Versus New Zealand Build Up Thread

• 15-10-2019 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Thought this deserves a thread of its own - starting on a less than ideal note... Rumours Sexton is out

To get a coffee.

What did we tell the Irish management team about letting him out of their sight?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

fill yer boots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Sexton to be murdered in a tense game, at 50 minutes, Carbery to avenge Sextons death, single handedly scoring 21 points to win.

some important stats:

New Zealand have never beaten James Ryan

NZLders everywhere to complain that a guy who lived in Athy from his pre-teen years, is really a New Zealander

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭celt262

NZLders everywhere to complain that a guy who lived in Athy from his pre-teen years, is really a New Zealander

Well he is a New Zealander.

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    Well he is a New Zealander.

I guess he is both or whichever he chooses to be, he has definitely chosen to play for ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭OldRio

Noooooooooooooooooooooo, b@ll#@&€ and #€&) (@. I've been called into work on Saturday.
    Utterly pi€€Ed off.

I have to go in. No way around it, not even my, cough cough 'back' problem.

Wireless it is, or as you call it nowadays, transistor radio.
    Poooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭davo2001

andymx11 wrote: »
    Rumours Sexton is out

You had me for a second you pr1ck! :D

OldRio wrote: »
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo, b@ll#@&€ and #€&) (@. I've been called into work on Saturday.
    Utterly pi€€Ed off.

Poooo.

let me know if you want a phone stream link ;)

• Advertisement

Mad to think an elbow to the face was legal back then

• Registered Users Posts: 21,604 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

OldRio wrote: »
    Utterly pi€€Ed off.

Poooo.

I was asked to work 'voluntary' overtime.

To which I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,368 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We should pretend that there is nothing at stake and that it matters little.
    We could win that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,396 ✭✭✭✭cson

Sexton to be murdered in a tense game, at 50 minutes, Carbery to avenge Sextons death, single handedly scoring 21 points to win.

*Sexton to be murdered with red card tackles that somehow are only deemed worthy of a penalty because All Blacks PlayOnTheEdge (tm) etc etc.

Carbery with a last minute drop goal to win a la Sexton v France. :)

Kiwi's to be salty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Serious anticipation for this one. Have a fools hope in my heart but my head isn't too optimistic. Hope I'm wrong.

Heart says Ireland by 2
    Head says NZ by about 14

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

@Yeah_Right - what are the best NZ media outlets to keep an eye on for OTT articles on the buildup to this game? Love reading perspective from the opposition media and NZ herald seems quite tame at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Sorry, I didn't realise this thread had started. I was busy being a wanker on the other thread. I admit I don't actually know the best places to get the kiwi point of view apart from the NZH or Stuff.co.nz BTW ignore anything you read by Chris Rattue. He's the NZ equivalent to that McKenna guy.

Theres a kiwi bloke called Jedi who does some funny rugby videos on YouTube. Might do a podcast. The Alternative Commentary Collective have done some amusing stuff for cricket but no idea if they're doing anything for the RWC. I don't actually follow any podcasts sorry. I'll ask around my kiwi mates for y'all.

Now back to being a wanker.... we're going to beat you like a red-headed step-child!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Loved that game. The week before my phone was hopping during the second half as every Paddy I'd ever met decided to get in touch. During that match, silence ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 21,604 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Just looking through the ABs previous fixtures, it's been almost a month since they've played an actual challenging game (Canada and Namibia were absolute rollovers), and before that in their warmups they had Tonga who was another rollover, and frankly an Australian side that was a rollover too, so you're going back to the Rugby Championship when they were beaten by Australia.

Is there a chance the ABs are going into this game a bit rusty?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Just looking through the ABs previous fixtures, it's been almost a month since they've played an actual challenging game (Canada and Namibia were absolute rollovers), and before that in their warmups they had Tonga who was another rollover, and frankly an Australian side that was a rollover too, so you're going back to the Rugby Championship when they were beaten by Australia.

Is there a chance the ABs are going into this game a bit rusty?

Totally, we should rest players for the English game really. An injury at this early stage will be a setback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

andymx11 wrote: »
    Thought this deserves a thread of its own - starting on a less than ideal note... Rumours Sexton is out

To get a coffee.

What did we tell the Irish management team about letting him out of their sight?
    I am pretty sure he is in mace getting a sandwich as per his contract

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so where are you good people going to watch it??

the clubhouse? the pub? the local cafe? at home?

fryup wrote: »
    so where are you good people going to watch it??

the clubhouse? the pub? the local cafe? at home?

I'll be moving to New York as soon as the game ends with my wife, cat and possessions, it will be a busy day. 6 hour drive and then mayhem. Probably watch it on my laptop entirely beerless at 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Murmurs that James Ryan sat out training yesterday floating around.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Ah stop it, please say you are joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Which prompts the question : how good is Ryan really.
    His starting place, and importance to the team is not in question. However, while he came with great trumpeting, and took superbly, and immediately, to international level rugby, at a young age, where does he really rank today as an international 2nd row? Today, not the potential he might reach in another 5 years at his pick. I'm not sure. Would he make the NZ, SA, or English starting teams? I think not. So very good and all as he is, is he of the level that can give reasonable expectations he is a plus for us against those top teams? I'm kinda thinking not. Were we dazzled by the duck to water transition to high level rugby and the evident potential, and remarkable opening win streak? How would he compare with Paulie even?

Which prompts the question : how good is Ryan really.
    His starting place, and importance to the team is not in question. However, while he came with great trumpeting, and took superbly, and immediately, to international level rugby, at a young age, where does he really rank today as an international 2nd row? Today, not the potential he might reach in another 5 years at his pick. I'm not sure. Would he make the NZ, SA, or English starting teams? I think not. So very good and all as he is, is he of the level that can give reasonable expectations he is a plus for us against those top teams? I'm kinda thinking not. Were we dazzled by the duck to water transition to high level rugby and the evident potential, and remarkable opening win streak? How would he compare with Paulie even?

100%

There are a couple of locks from the USA, Uruguay and Tongan teams I'd have in there ahead of him at this stage.... A bit of a one trick pony and I think he's been found out on international stage...

We need someone who's above international standard to replace paulie

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

It's worth highlighting the contrast between now and this week 4 years ago.

We're currently down Conan and Leavy through injury.
    Don't think I'm forgetting anyone saying that right?

The strength and conditioning team definitely need to be complimented for their work. And that goes for all 4 provinces s&c coaching tickets too.

I feel a strange sense of relief (even before our QF on Saturday) that injuries are not something we'll need to reference indefinitely regarding our performance in this WC.

Well done to all concerned. Some achievement.

Advertisement