Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

No episode next week :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,019 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

After about a week I'd never close the door to get into the oven!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

Does the budget like the 240k for this rebuild, does it include the kitchen and the stone?, the floors etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Insufferable, pretentious pair of w&nkers.

Awful episode with zero humour, zero chemistry, zero charm.

When Noah hits 16 and is blasting out some gangster rap music, they'll be turning it back into two apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How is there an A3 rating with that wooden front door on the house?

It's only a door...small area, small heat loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

How much was the extension? I though I seen a figure of around 30k, seems very cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I love it!
    I appreciate it's not everyone's taste and that's okay but this was the rare occasion the owners have a very good imagination of how things look when complete and put together.
    Don't underestimate how bad people's imagination is.

Also my hall is painted in a very similar colour that their living room has.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I like the program, but really think it had lost the run of itself.
    Ridiculous budget overruns. Unlimited money just pulled out of the air.
    No connection with the average viewer who might be looking to do a job on their own house.

And I'm not bitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

HUGE budget there.

Don't like the brickwork finish outside.

Bit of a Jack&Vera from Corrie about it.

Nice gaff in the end, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Colour was all over the shop - not to my liking at all.
    Reception rooms were nice but the art work over the fireplaces seemed completely out of place and overall was too 'busy'.
    Kitchen was only alright. When you made a splash at the sink it would just go on the window, no splash back. Cleaning the window would be fair awkward.
    That wallpaper was hideous and looked poorly put up.

Going to miss it now it's gone for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Colour was all over the shop - not to my liking at all.
    Reception rooms were nice but the art work over the fireplaces seemed completely out of place and overall was too 'busy'.
    Kitchen was only alright. When you made a splash at the sink it would just go on the window, no splash back. Cleaning the window would be fair awkward.
    That wallpaper was hideous and looked poorly put up.

Going to miss it now it's gone for a while.

The picture of Jesus in the middle of it all looked so strange

• Registered Users Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Two nice chaps. I hope the son doesn't get bullied in school by horrible people
    Kids generally are pretty accepting of people in my experience, their parents can be less so

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

When Noah hits 16 and is blasting out some gangster rap music, they'll be turning it back into two apartments.

Glenn will have many’s the screaming tantrum between now and then. He’s going to be sick of that horrible kitchen in about 6 weeks time and there’ll be hell to pay. Noah and Gus will have to barricade themselves in the sitting room with the Little Child of Prague.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jaysus, I've hung wallpaper better myself than that in the bathroom :eek:

But I have to say I loved it.

That house screams "them", which is what every house should do.

The did a fabulous job on the main old house (in as much as I could tell with the whistle-stop gallop around it). I usually don't mind Dermot's glass-box extensions/courtyards/etc - but that one was absolutely awful :eek: No no no no no no no no.

The two family bathrooms beside each other on the same floor after all?? :confused:

The stations of the cross looking down on the pair of 'em in bed from the mantlepiece? :confused:

Was that the other QS that we saw laughing in the crowd shot at the end?

Did they get new windows in the end? Didn't look like it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

There were aspects that I liked and some that I didn't. Loved the warm rich tones in the living room. I really liked the bathroom wallpaper although the wall paper hanger should have been shot for the badly aligned sheets. My Dad taught me to wallpaper many years ago and I wouldn't have got away with those gaps.
    I thought the kitchen seemed very cold and impractical.
    I hate white pointing on old red brick, the house next door looked so much nicer.
    Fair play to them all the same, fab house with their personal stamp in a great location. The whole budget thing this season is driving me crazy. Opening budget €150K, closing price €290K ????

I like Gustav , he’s funny and pretty laid back, Glenn on the other hand seems quite wound up, angry, intense . It should be a fun enjoyable experience , don’t get his angst but wish them well with their lovely house. Well done on them sticking to their guns on decor.

Actually I take that back, they’re both much happier and smiley at the end , and why wouldn’t they be !

I thought it was okay.
    There was certain elements of it was nice, different.

Whilst it was an A rated house and you could wear a t-shirt in it in Winter I felt it lacked the cosyness to relax on the couch and watch TV on a Winters night if that makes sense!(If that makes sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

iamwhoiam wrote: »

I’ve found in my experience that that’s an effort at “sticking it to the man”.
    The Sacred Heart picture was so representative of old Catholic Ireland and everything that went with it that’s almost completely disappeared now.
    It must seem like some kind of a victory to stick him up on a wall in a home that was literally unthinkable even 40 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

STIG83 wrote: »
    The wall paper is not even straight at the joints!!
    MikeD22 wrote: »
    Wallpaper doesn't line up.....between the mirrors in the bathroom.

I'm annoyed.
    It was horrific!

A fairly meh episode with the most bland result of the whole series I thought, I dont like those houses though.

Whe do we get to see Dermots house being done does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

splinter65 wrote: »
    The Sacred Heart picture was so representative of old Catholic Ireland and everything that went with it that’s almost completely disappeared now.
    It must seem like some kind of a victory to stick him up on a wall in a home that was literally unthinkable even 40 years ago.

That bathroom will be unthinkable 40 years from now ffs !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

That's why I voted no in the gay marriage referendum. The poor lad doesn't stand a chance. Just wrong without a mother influence. Not fair on the poor lad. He will get taunted

splinter65 wrote: »
    iamwhoiam wrote: »

I think he said he just likes religious art. Not because it's religious but the style. Nothing symbolic about sticking it to Catholic Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

physioman wrote: »
    That's why I voted no in the gay marriage referendum. The poor lad doesn't stand a chance. Just wrong without a mother influence. Not fair on the poor lad. He will get taunted

If people didn’t think like you then he wouldn’t get taunted.

Friend of mine grew up without a mother's influence because his mother died in childbirth. Didn't get taunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Didn't show the upstairs for some reason.
    The living room was a bit busy for my liking, but then the house Dermot took them too looked as sparse as a morgue.
    Kitchen looked just okay - it was a galley kitchen. Practially as someone said on previous page the window will be really difficult to clean and will get splashed from the sink. The cupboards into the appliances was a bit mad, but I like the clean lines of it.

I really don't get where these folk come from. Any architect should be saying to them look get the structural things done as a priority and then sort out your furnishing and fixtures.
    Why the chimney and roof was not considered at the start I'll never know.

Alongside that, the mannerisms of them was a bit off putting. They were quite sharp and demanding at times, but I suppose we only see clippets with little context.
    Drives me mad when Dermot keeps trying to get more stuff put into the build when the budget is already exceeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

That's it now until Dermot's house.
    Predictions include a plywood kitchen, fancy taps and lots of wooden slats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Friend of mine grew up without a mother's influence because his mother died in childbirth. Didn't get taunted.

Bet you he didn't have two gay dad's though.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Did they get new windows in the end? Didn't look like it.....

Saw them bringing in windows at the bit where they showed the work starting early on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

It's only a door...small area, small heat loss.

They didn't change the windows either

• Advertisement

Without turning this into a debate these lads were able to adopt before the marriage referendum from what I remember!

Advertisement