Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

More life like HD video question?

Options
  • 11-10-2019 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

I've noticed a few times that some HD videos look more sharper/clearer or more life like. Is this a certain type of HD or effect. Does it have a name?

Here is an example of what I mean.

https://youtu.be/sLtuZEtCSLA

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

There's nothing outstanding about the colour palette, the saturation is warm but not blown out.

I think you're noticing the higher framerate, it's at 50fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

grindle wrote: »
    There's nothing outstanding about the colour palette, the saturation is warm but not blown out.

I think you're noticing the higher framerate, it's at 50fps.

Ah ok, it's the frame rate. I'll confess I know nothing about it.

It seems to give it a slight delay, is that it?

What would be the normal frame rate?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I was only just looking this up cos of the reviews saying Gemini man is crap except for one scene towards the end that uses 120 Frames Per Second really well.

Anyway, I checked out these two videos. The second with Iron Man has more noticeable results as it's a big jump between 24 Frames per second to 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

gooner99 wrote: »
    Ah ok, it's the frame rate. I'll confess I know nothing about it.

It seems to give it a slight delay, is that it?

What would be the normal frame rate?

Thanks.

Any delay should be down to the streamer or producer of content not syncing it properly, although it looks fine on my PC.

24fps is the cinema standard.

Some..."purists"... think that 24fps is perfect and should never be improved upon but it causes jitter. Higher framerates require much more expense with effects and sets - shows or movies look a bit gammy/"soap opera"-esque when shot or interpolated at higher framerate and that's because you can see a lot more detail without smearing or jitter.

The Walking Dead is a good show to try interpolation out on - the effects look amazing at 24fps, then get a little bit "Oh, yeah that's make-up" interpolated to 60fps.

There's a project that allows interpolation using VLC/MPC here. Matter of taste which trade-off you prefer - low-fps jitter vs high-fps unforgiving detail - but I despise the jitter at 24fps. I can't unsee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

gooner99 wrote: »
    I've noticed a few times that some HD videos look more sharper/clearer or more life like. Is this a certain type of HD or effect. Does it have a name?

Here is an example of what I mean.

https://youtu.be/sLtuZEtCSLA

Thanks.
    As grindle said, its the video playing back at 50fps and not standard 25fps

I work myself in the tv/video industry and spend on average 3 days a week editing, and I can tell you from my experience when if comes to filming interviews or people in general, high frame rate just "looks" bad and un-natural.

Each to their own, some like the crisp look.
    But to me HFR just doesn't look cinematic.

Sidenote: We once collaborated with a professional 3D animation company for a video, with us providing the live action segments and video editing. They gave us the completed animation in 30fps because they taught that was "better quality". It was a fun phonecall when we told them everything had to be rendered again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah, I can live with s little jitter now and again at 24fps but can’t live with 48fps and above; it just looks terrible and takes all of the cinematic sheen off a film; The Hobbit at the cinema was a great example of that for me. It’s really annoying that most TVs ship with ‘motion smoothing’ enabled by defaul too; lots of people I know who’ve bought new TVs and were asking me if there was something wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its called "the soap opera effect"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

fryup wrote: »
    its called "the soap opera effect"

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just switch off your motion blur feature in your TV's settings

Advertisement