Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus to outsource catering

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Probably a wise business decision in the long term, not too many airlines handle their own catering anymore. 

Not sure launching before a busy summer schedule is wise though, it hardly ever goes to plan and is easily the worst time of year to begin implementing big changes to the operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Hopefully they'll get rid of the obscene amount of single use plastic they use on their long haul.

Their food is woeful anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Hopefully they'll get rid of the obscene amount of single use plastic they use on their long haul.

Their food is woeful anyway.

The plastic use is "under review" but knowing Aer Lingus that could last a decade! 
    Ever since plastic was declared the root of all evil, their social media has been bombarded by people complaining about the excessive use of plastic in meals. Unfortunately, the irony appears lost of most of them as they happily sit on an ageing A320 on their way to Malaga. 
    As for the food itself, I actually don't think it's bad for an airline. The meals up front are very, very good and are regularly praised for their portions and quality while the pre order meals are decent enough and the economy stuff is inoffensive airline grub. Even on short haul they have some of the better meal options, I'd take the hot breakfast or chicken and stuffing sandwich over British Airways' stale M&S leftovers or Ryanair's cardboard panini any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The plastic use is "under review" but knowing Aer Lingus that could last a decade! 
    Ever since plastic was declared the root of all evil, their social media has been bombarded by people complaining about the excessive use of plastic in meals. Unfortunately, the irony appears lost of most of them as they happily sit on an ageing A320 on their way to Malaga. 
    As for the food itself, I actually don't think it's bad for an airline. The meals up front are very, very good and are regularly praised for their portions and quality while the pre order meals are decent enough and the economy stuff is inoffensive airline grub. Even on short haul they have some of the better meal options, I'd take the hot breakfast or chicken and stuffing sandwich over British Airways' stale M&S leftovers or Ryanair's cardboard panini any day!
    Yeah, air travel isn't particularly sustainable, but there is no excuse for the company making things worse.
    I was on one of their TA services (down back) for the first time in years there recently for work and the amount of single use plastic was outrageous. Compared to other carriers, they've gone all in on disposables. While it's been a while since they had metal spoons in economy, they did have normal reusable plastics on their TA services. But AL is all about cheap service, but not necessarily a a low price so their review will last as long as it remains in the public eye. AL are happy it seems to put x hundred tons of contaminated plastic waste into the disposal chain.

As for the food being inoffensive, their hot wrap things that they give you for breakfast must be one of the most vile things created by man.

At least a lot of other airlines use reusable plastics. A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

Condition of outsource to TUPE over ? Pensions was the first thing that came to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭boccy23

Was surprised that this was not already outsourced TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

All the SH is already outsourced

Most of the LH is outsourced, the entire Economy service is prepackaged except for the pre purchased economy meals and business which is internal

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most of the LH is outsourced, the entire Economy service is prepackaged except for the pre purchased economy meals and business which is internal

Does every meal get a personal chef, going on the number quoted it'd be close to...

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Really 250 people for that amount of work?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

boccy23 wrote: »
    Was surprised that this was not already outsourced TBH.

It’s been on the radar for a looong time. I was there (EI, not their catering Dept) in the early 2000s. I remember the statement from Willie Walsh circa 2002; “why is an airline making breakfasts?”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Another win for the tree hugger brigade!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I was flying to a climate protest in New York last month and couldn't believe the amount of plastic used to wrap a scone, 3 layers of the stuff! Disgrace
    AL get your act together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I was flying to a climate protest in New York last month

Shouldn’t you have taken a sailboat?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The "variance is loss" setup that must have been why they have only two different types of little bag of cutlery does lead to an insane amount of waste

Get a breakfast and you'll end up with two spoons, multiple sugars, salts and peppers etc. Two seperate bags, another plastic bin bag (inside a plastic bag) to put it all in and so on. Presumably it saves them money compared to loose stocking everything.

They used to make a big thing out of pulling the cardboard sleeve off the tea to aid recycling and all! Can't be done on the current cups I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

There is a lot of food legislation and standards they need to adhere to also. Food needs to be protected and stored safely. Grems and bacteria will thrive easily and spread like wildfire inside an aircraft.

In all my flights I've never seen crew wearing proper PPE for food handling hence the need to cover the food and cutlery ect. itself. Some foods react differently when airborne which requires them to receive additional packaging ect. Packaging costs money and is very time consuming so it's not done for the joy of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

L1011 wrote: »
    The "variance is loss" setup that must have been why they have only two different types of little bag of cutlery does lead to an insane amount of waste

Get a breakfast and you'll end up with two spoons, multiple sugars, salts and peppers etc. Two seperate bags, another plastic bin bag (inside a plastic bag) to put it all in and so on. Presumably it saves them money compared to loose stocking everything.

They used to make a big thing out of pulling the cardboard sleeve off the tea to aid recycling and all! Can't be done on the current cups I think.

Unless all the waste is brought back to base I'd imagine this is a serious headache. Countries differ with recyclable goods ect and others probably won't take food waste for fear of contamination or have strict disease prevention measures in place unless it's been sent for incineration. Its probably easier and may only be possible to put everything into general waste with exception of the obvious items such as cans and plastic bottles. Haven't seen the new cups but perhaps there biodegradable.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I was flying to a climate protest in New York last month and couldn't believe the amount of plastic used to wrap a scone, 3 layers of the stuff! Disgrace
    AL get your act together

Like the English pensioners living in France/Spain/Portugal who voted for Brexit, hilarious!

Advertisement