Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BREXIT - The impact on importing cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Casati

Mooooo wrote: »
    Battery died as I went to edit. Commercial vehicles if I'm correct will have to pay uk VAT buying as well as Irish VAT when importing

Yes and duty. We will be back importing from Japan or new at main dealers only

Even if there is a deal potential for VAT to be charged on the double which I think would end imports too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭User1998

I wonder if VAT will be charged on the OMSP of the vehicle similar to VRT or will it be charged on the price you actually paid for the car. All other goods VAT is charged on the price you paid (correct me if I’m wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Mooooo wrote: »
    Battery died as I went to edit. Commercial vehicles if I'm correct will have to pay uk VAT buying as well as Irish VAT when importing

If it’s a true commercial vehicle which has never passed through the ownership of a non-VAT registered person then it should be capable of being sold to a non-resident without U.K. VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

adunis wrote: »
    Vat on purchase + shipping plus cousins duty
    Then pay the vrt ?
    21%+10%+vrt
    Just like a US IMPORT ?

And EU duty on commercial vehicles over 2.5 litres is 22%.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Greengekko

Hi all, after Brexit if the UK leave with a deal will VRT still increase compared to what it is now? I'm considering changing the car and if now is the time to do it or can I do it a few months later with a similar price without paying a fortune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Greengekko wrote: »
    Hi all, after Brexit if the UK leave with a deal will VRT still increase compared to what it is now? I'm considering changing the car and if now is the time to do it or can I do it a few months later with a similar price without paying a fortune

VRT might even decrease, but VAT and customs duty will be applicable on every import.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

September1 wrote: »
    VRT might even decrease, but VAT and customs duty will be applicable on every import.

VRT won't decrese, as it is calculated on the market value.

If the cars are more expensive, there will be more VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Greengekko

I see, I'm looking at vw CC 2012, so I assume vrt import duties and vat will be based on the market value of such a car. To me this sounds like it could be far more expensive. This is also in the interest of the government to raise revenue and encourage car sales in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If VAT has already been paid in the UK, there should be no VAT on importation here, as VAT cannot be charged twice.

I wonder how this aspect will play out.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

unless there's a deal in place, VAT paid abroad will be irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    unless there's a deal in place, VAT paid abroad will be irrelevant.

This is super unlikely, deal or no deal. If you import from Norway, which has super close relationship with EU, you have to pay both VAT and if car was not manufactured in EU there could be a duty as well.

VAT is an EU tax, and cannot be charged twice.

Whether that will change post-Brexit is an open question. My opinion is that it won't.

Not your ornery onager

This is super unlikely, deal or no deal. If you import from Norway, which has super close relationship with EU, you have to pay both VAT and if car was not manufactured in EU there could be a duty as well.

not sure what you mean, but imports from the UK will be (in the case of No Deal) in the same boat (not literally in a boat)as those from the US or Japan. It won't be relevant what tax was paid , tax/duty will be levied any way.

not sure what you mean, but imports from the UK will be (in the case of No Deal) in the same boat (not literally in a boat)as those from the US or Japan. It won't be relevant what tax was paid , tax/duty will be levied any way.
    Just for clarification, is this your opinion or based on knowledge?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

What happens when the have a deal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Esel wrote: »
    VAT is an EU tax, and cannot be charged twice.

Whether that will change post-Brexit is an open question. My opinion is that it won't.

No that is not so.

If you import a second hand car, the original VAT is dead, because it cannot be reclaimed by a VAT registered business. A commercial vehicle is different.

If the car is less than six months old or has done less than 6,000 km, it is liable to 23% VAT on the actual purchase price paid. The VAT paid by the original purchaser is irrelevant. So if you intend to buy a car less than six months old, make sure the VAT can be reclaimed.

Post (No Deal) Brexit, cars that cannot claim to be manufactured in the EU (Cert of Origin) which requires 55% EU components will be subject to 10% tariff. They will then be subject to VAT on the Purchase price plus cost of freight (ferry ticket), and the VRT.

I would say importing from the UK will not be economic, and as a result, 2nd hand prices here will rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

No that is not so.

If you import a second hand car, the original VAT is dead, because it cannot be reclaimed by a VAT registered business. A commercial vehicle is different.

If the car is less than six months old or has done less than 6,000 km, it is liable to 23% VAT on the actual purchase price paid. The VAT paid by the original purchaser is irrelevant. So if you intend to buy a car less than six months old, make sure the VAT can be reclaimed.

Post (No Deal) Brexit, cars that cannot claim to be manufactured in the EU (Cert of Origin) which requires 55% EU components will be subject to 10% tariff. They will then be subject to VAT on the Purchase price plus cost of freight (ferry ticket), and the VRT.

I would say importing from the UK will not be economic, and as a result, 2nd hand prices here will rise.

Say i bring back a 2 or 3 year old car in say the second week of November, if there is a deal done this month, what am i likely to have to pay along with VRT.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

mgn wrote: »
    Say i bring back a 2 or 3 year old car in say the second week of November, if there is a deal done this month, what am i likely to have to pay along with VRT.

The problem is a No Deal. A Deal Brexit would mean things say the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Casati

The problem is a No Deal. A Deal Brexit would mean things say the same.

No deal likely means things stay the same as an extension will be forced*

A deal could likely mean vat being due but depend on what is agreed in any such deal

*maybe

Casati wrote: »

A deal could likely mean vat being due but depend on what is agreed in any such deal

*maybe

I was talking about short term - that is for a purchase in November. No deal would be bad news as importing could mean tariff plus VAT plus VRT.

Obviously, longer term would depend on the terms of the deal struck. If there is a deal, there should be a transition period where current schemes remain as is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Casati wrote: »

*maybe

I think that would depend on the future trade deal? Should remain the same system with a deal for the few years transition period. Though nothing seems clear in any of this!!

What I mean is that even if UK goes for softest brexit and becomes so closely integrated with EU as Switzerland or Norway there will be:
    - customs duty unless car has https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EUR.1_movement_certificate
    - VAT charged on every car

As far as I know UK is not interested in softest deal with single market, customs union etc

To avoid paying VAT UK would have to be inside EU VAT area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_value_added_tax which has only three tiny areas outside EU that are included.

Just for clarification, is this your opinion or based on knowledge?

not sure what you mean either, but if there is no deal, then the UK will be treated exactly the same as other non EU countries. Anything less than that implies a deal is struck. Not an opinion at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

Cyprus and Malta will be the only other two left hand drive countries in the EU , not huge car markets either of them ...

trellheim wrote: »
    Cyprus and Malta will be the only other two left hand drive countries in the EU , not huge car markets either of them ...

How will Japanese imports go after the FTA comes into force?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

I dunno but you're not going to see Audi and BMW coming through the Japanese grey channel though

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SupraSonic26

Hey all, thining getting another supra imported from the UK, any advice on a import company and finance company? Or am i best just try get one up north and import it myself vrt ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

trellheim wrote: »
    I dunno but you're not going to see Audi and BMW coming through the Japanese grey channel though
    Tradecarview list nearly 5000 BMW and 1600 Audi models for sale in Japan.
    I think you'll find that they are available from Japan quite easily in RHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭baz_ctr

Correct me if I am wrong here but will the new Nox charge coming into effect from January 1st 2020 not apply to all secondhand imports i.e UK/Japan/USA etc .Thats charged on scale depending on the nox (nitrate oxide rating ) and will be in addition to Vrt so if you were getting say 2014 VW golf diesel adds about 2k extra to the price on top of vrt .
    I think been brought in to wipe out buying in cars with euro 6 emissions or below and help car dealers here .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If VAT has already been paid in the UK, there should be no VAT on importation here, as VAT cannot be charged twice.

I wonder how this aspect will play out.

There are 3 VAT categories applicable to used vehicles.

1-Margin - this is a car owned by any entity which is not specifically entitled to claim VAT on it (e.g a lease company or car rental company) - currently a margin car imported from the UK is not liable to Irish VAT (I’ll come back to this)

2-Qualifying - this is a car first and only owned by any entity entitled to claim VAT on it (e.g a lease company or car rental company) - currently a qualifying car imported from the UK by a VAT registered entity for resale will be liable for Irish VAT as the Irish entity should reclaim the UK VAT. Post Brexit these vehicles should be invoiced excluding VAT for permanent export. Private individuals will not get the benefit of this as a zero VAT invoice cannot be issued to a private individuals. The car will become Margin before import of bought by an individual.

3-Commercial (See Qualifying and apply to commercial vehicles without the limitations) A commercial vehicle becomes Margin at the point it is sold to a non-VAT registered entity, otherwise it may change hands as often and to as many and varied VAT registered entities and remain Commercial for its entire life. Post Brexit these vehicles should be invoiced excluding VAT for permanent export.

Now, back to margin cars post Brexit; these cars have UK VAT locked in and were not previously liable to Irish VAT as VAT was paid in an EU member state. When the UK ceases to be an EU member state these cars (and any vehicle sold to a non-VAT entity) will be liable to Irish as well as UK VAT.

I have had clarification from Revenue that the 10% tariff will first be applied to the UK invoice and that 23% VAT will then apply to the total of the invoice and the tariff.

I’m sure that’s a clear as mud to most people, but it was cathartic to write it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement