Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh sure TH, Banne..... Oh wait. No.

insert-evil-laugh.jpg

:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

IMG-20191010-214439-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

Comic book special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Julian Nice Tattoo

White gold Daytona is back from Service. Got a new Bezel put on it as the old one had the usual enamel missing in the indices. Its brand new, stickers and all. Warranty Card (important as I purchased without papers). Its basically like confession for watches, all sins are forgiven and your verified and brand new. Got a spare link from watchfinders, a hard thing to find for this watch and booklets from ebay. So box and papers now with a bit of effort. After some consideration of the madness that is watch collecting and the fact I missed this watch a lot, I intend to wear this all the time hence my "holding" watch is for sale. Have my eye on a JLC Master Calander,

KAzQXtql.jpg

8rMWQ5Hl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭893bet

Tasty!!

How much did service cost? Assuming 2k ish given new bezel?

Assume a few sleepless nights before Rolex came back with a price thereby confirming it wasn’t on the stolen register��....

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    Tasty!!

How much did service cost? Assuming 2k ish given new bezel?

Assume a few sleepless nights before Rolex came back with a price thereby confirming it wasn’t on the stolen register��....

2.5k, 880 on the service and 1500 on the bezel and they dont return the old one....so given I got a good deal on the original purchase I am quids in now, however as you say, sweaty palms, that it would come back, stolen, modded or fake. I trusted the seller but its always at the back of your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Ah did you buy it without b&p? Good idea sending for a full service then you have it verified officially now nice one

Was the old bezel damaged or just had the enamel come out ? I’m sure you could fill that in easily enough ?

Also did you send via weirs or go direct in London.

I filled the bezel with paint and it was fine, but it bothered me. I am sure a lot on here can sympathise with me on it, it just wasn't 100% right. Its a common problem and just a sign that it was over-polished. There was also a speck of dust on the dial, so did not trust whoever "serviced" it last time.

Sent via weirs, the cost difference was worth it for insurance and transit security. Was gone 14 weeks, 2 weeks to estimate and 12 weeks to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Wow, 14 weeks. I thought with Rolex opening up their new or large service centre that the service times would have reduced.

Just do not Weirs near it! Too nice not to be looked after by Rolex themselves.

• Advertisement

Gavin1 wrote: »
    Wow, 14 weeks. I thought with Rolex opening up their new or large service centre that the service times would have reduced.

Just do not Weirs near it! Too nice not to be looked after by Rolex themselves.

Weirs facilitate the return to Rolex as AD

New watch from Deep thought.

8 watches in my box and I feel this is 2-3 too many.

gKkg4oJT_o.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭micks_address

SNIP
    I'll store some for you if you stuck for space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Snip

A lifer. Never selling mine. Bought it from FullaDaPipes from this here parish.

Birneybau wrote: »
    A lifer. Never selling mine. Bought it from FullaDaPipes from this here parish.

Not sure yet.

But for me a watch is all about finding the right strap option.

I think a bond nato is what I need for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭vandriver

I was in the British Museum today,and all I could think of was Wibbs salivating!

IMG-20191014-152709.jpg
    IMG-20191014-152649.jpg
    IMG-20191014-152625.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭vandriver

I particularly liked the Omega Marine Chronometer,so I looked one up on eBay.
    5 grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Pleasure to meet and hope you enjoy the watch and love the Patek :D

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

vandriver wrote: »
    I particularly liked the Omega Marine Chronometer,so I looked one up on eBay.
    5 grand!
    That's the dealer price for the most part V. Way over the top IMHO. When they do come up in actual auctions they struggle to go much beyond two, maybe two and half grand. Pretty much the same value they were five, even ten years ago.

Though this "value" disparity between actual auction prices and dealers is increasing across the vintage market. As are overpriced watches sitting for sale for months, even over a year. It's been like this for a while. That and fewer new to market examples. In a healthy market you see more watches and a much narrower gap between dealer prices and auction prices and you see way more auctions than BIN on ebay. A sure sign IMHO anyway that "peak watch" has passed and the market is stagnant, in the vintage arena anyway . Personally speaking and with a couple of exceptions a vintage watch from a dealer I wouldn't touch with a bargepole at the moment.

And yes I'd love one of those Marine Chronometers. :D They've a really loud tick and are still one of the most accurate wristwatches ever produced.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

For anyone who doesn't understand the pic above its watch lubrication oil all over him and the pc screen ....

You're not wrong FG.... :D

They're actually an impressive thing in the flesh. Extremely well built of the finest materials. Not a shock considering their price when new. Crazy money. Like equivalent to over ten steel Rolex nodate Subs crazy money. They didn't sell well at that kinda outlay, though sold well enough to keep going for a time and through an update. In the end when the digital fashion became overwhelming and it was realised that buyers found "basic" quartz accuracy to be more than enough, they were remaindered off to Omega staff and dealers at knockdown, though still sphincter clenching, prices, Back in the 90's I encountered a few NOS with boxes and papers knocking around, which says much. Though even back then they were pricey, well outa my personally set comfort zone anyway, around a grand, grand and a half. Especially when Longines Czech Pilots were half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Had a hankerin for an older piece so picked this up a couple of weeks ago. '75 automatic seiko in very good condition. I'd forgotten how small watches used to be! I've fallen for it and it's my smart-casual wear now.

IMG-20190927-212918.jpg

Regular adverts seller so probably on here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Bought a shark mesh off WatchGecko for my LLD. Happy enough with how it looks and feels. Also got a couple of Cape Code polishing cloths, so will get a couple of annoying scratches off it the next day or two :)

493137.jpg

493138.jpg

Just realised I have it sitting on the crowns, so before I'm shot it was only for a second!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Bought a shark mesh off WatchGecko for my LLD. Happy enough with how it looks and feels.

Looks good on that bracelet, one of my favourite watches and sorry it had to go. The LLD is an awesome watch, works for all occasions.

HDMI wrote: »
    Looks good on that bracelet, one of my favourite watches and sorry it had to go. The LLD is an awesome watch, works for all occasions.

Of my five watches, it's one of two that I don't think I'll want to move on (the other being my 516, first auto). Love the vintage look, it actually gets noticed and it goes well on NATO, Rubber, Leather and Mesh. And now spruced up after a quick rub with the Cape Cod cloth. If it's any consolation, it's well cared for. (assuming zero consolation btw!)

Hope all is well with you, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Having promised myself I wasn't going to buy more watches this year but instead concentrate on repairs and servicing, I cracked and bought an Oceanus T200.
    I have the Oceanus S100 titatnium but the T200 in steel was different enough for me to plump for it.
    The T200 has many of the same features as the S100 ,solar, Radio sync, perpetual calendar etc but also has bluetooth connectivity for NNTP time sync, updates to DST calendars, power reserve indicators etc.
    I had hoped it would show how much accumulated error is corrected between time syncs but, alas no.

493586.jpg

493587.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Arrived today - delighted with it!

• Advertisement

decided to keep the GMT Master II. Was not getting offers where I wanted it. So I decided to change the bracelet to a rubber strap. Got a rubber B strap, they do a lot of rubber straps which are colour matched to various models. Fit is perfect. Decided to get a tang to save the buckle. Very comfortable. Like it sporty and different. What are peoples thoughts?

L0l8in9l.jpg

Ld0MAncl.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement