Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A new Irish Capital

• 10-10-2019 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭

It's in the news that in a recent poll a small majority in Northern Ireland would like a United Ireland. This may indicate that a United Ireland may come about soon. In that context where would a New Capital 'City' for the new state be best situated?
    Please don't post anything running down any place but try to make a case for the place you would suggest.

Where would you like to see a New Irish Capital 276 votes

Cork
    32% 89 votes
    Limerick
    4% 12 votes
    Galway
    1% 4 votes
    Derry/Londonderry
    1% 3 votes
    Stays in Dublin
    31% 86 votes
    Newry/Dundalk
    6% 18 votes
    Kilkenny
    1% 4 votes
    Armagh
    1% 5 votes
    Tara
    3% 11 votes
    Athlone
    9% 25 votes
    Somewhere Else
    6% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is there something wrong with Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Ballyconnell, Co. Cavan. Near the border, and they are very welcoming to new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

saabsaab wrote: »
    It's in the news that in a recent poll a small majority in Northern Ireland would like a United Ireland. This may indicate that a United Ireland may come about soon. In that context where would a New Capital 'City' for the new state be best situated?
    Please don't post anything running down any place but try to make a case for the place you would suggest.

Seriously ?? There were/are people in this country(s) that are willing to kill over something a simple as a 'flag'... and you want them to decide on a 'New Capital City'....
    Let's get Brexit and Climate Change sorted first....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

saabsaab wrote:
    It's in the news that in a recent poll a small majority in Northern Ireland would like a United Ireland. This may indicate that a United Ireland may come about soon. In that context where would a New Capital 'City' for the new state be best situated? Please don't post anything running down any place but try to make a case for the place you would suggest.

fritzelly wrote:

Yes , everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Athlone- that way everybody is equally unhappy.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Re Swarlb.

Just putting it out there for comment I don't have the power to make the final decision. I feel that it may be as a consequence of Brexit in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Realistically, we would be looking at:

#1) New Flag
    #2) New National Anthem
    #3) New Dail setup, maybe keep devolution, who knows
    #3) Perhaps a more neutral Capital

As part of a re-unification, at least the Germans both had Berlin as their Capital!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Limerick for me

fritzelly wrote: »

As a Capital city for a UI I feel that both sides in Belfast won't like to take 'orders' from Dublin and vice versa.

Inquitus wrote: »

#1) New Flag
    #2) New National Anthem

As part of a re-unification, at least the Germans both had Berlin as their Capital!
    I'd say you're right re the above. Historically Kilkenny was the Capital for a short time. Nobody for Cork? Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭touts

#1) New Flag
    #2) New National Anthem

Well if you are going to talk about reality then realistically when the bill for a United Ireland gets presented to the people in the republic they will never vote for it. And realistically when the details of the public services in the republic get presented to the people of the North they will never vote for it.

touts wrote: »
    Well if you are going to talk about reality then realistically when the bill for a United Ireland gets presented to the people in the republic they will never vote for it. And realistically when the details of the public services in the republic get presented to the people of the North they will never vote for it.

You may be wrong, you may be right but let's say it comes to pass Where would your choice be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

#1) New Flag
    #2) New National Anthem

I'd definitely be on for a new flag. Current tricolour is sh*te looking. Much preferred the green flag with a gold harp, at least aesthetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Tipp Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

How about Westminster?

*runs away*

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

How about Westminster?

*runs away*

I expected some odd suggestions but i didn't see that one coming

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Cork why the hell not. Maybe they will stop whining then.

Good suggestion but don't diss the rebels.

saabsaab wrote: »
    As a Capital city for a UI I feel that both sides in Belfast won't like to take 'orders' from Dublin and vice versa.

There's the rub... 'take orders'

The UK is tearing itself apart because they were under some illusion that 'Europe' had somehow invaded them, and they were now under it's control.
    Why, do you think they'd be happy (up there) to 'take orders' from Cork, or Tralee, or Enniscorthy... or anywhere for that matter.
    Maybe the Capital should be Derry.... or should that be Londonderry ??
    Brexit has dragged on for years at this rate, and it's still not over. Trying to unify Ireland would take decades...
    A few things to consider..
    The Irish Language....would it suddenly become compulsory for the millions of school children up there...??
    The millions who DONT want to be part of 'The Republic'.... do we force them simply because 51% voted to join up.
    I find the prospect terrifying in the extreme...

tigger123 wrote: »
    I'd definitely be on for a new flag. Current tricolour is sh*te looking. Much preferred the green flag with a gold harp, at least aesthetically.

You do know what the tricolour stand for... don't you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭moonage

Londonderry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

swarlb wrote: »
    Let's get Brexit and Climate Change sorted first....

Let's get climate change sorted. I love the way you post that as if it's just something on a list to tick off. 3 and a half years on and Brexit isn't near sorted, and Climate change is an infinitely bigger more complex problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

They did? What about Bonn?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,590 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If this is about decentralization then feck the capital, put the treasury down in Kerry, the state dept over in Swords, have the the Dail skype in to a webserver that is hosted in Doonbeg, and move all the courts to Carlow

At 51% it won't be millions against reunification about 900,000 at last census. Anyway that figure will drop in time.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,272 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's a completely pointless question, because there simply isn't anywhere on the island other than Dublin that's in a position to be the capital. The main functions of any civil service will always be where the seat of government is, and tbh there isn't a single other city or town in the country that could accommodate all those politicians and civil servants. Similarly where are you going to find space for all the foreign embassies? You'd also have to start establishing proper transport links, but are airlines going to want to start routes in and out of Shannon or Knock when the biggest airport and all the infrastructure is in Dublin. I'm afraid, whether they like it or not, if there was a UI those in the north would really have no option but to accept Dublin as the capital or else vote against it happening.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Let's get climate change sorted. I love the way you post that as if it's just something on a list to tick off. 3 and a half years on and Brexit isn't near sorted, and Climate change is an infinitely bigger more complex problem.

It's called being sarcastic.... Sorting Climate change would be infinitely easier, and probably less life threatening than trying to unify Ireland.
    You must be very young...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Make a new federal state, they can have their own capital. The bi state government can alternate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nobber.

Halfway(ish) between Dublin and Belfast.

Also, and more pertinently, t'would be funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jesus, good luck with that, they could win seven all Ireland’s in a row in both football and hurling, become the capital city, have a space port there (given the number of cadets) and you’d still have them moaning say next Thursday if it rains in Cork and there is sunshine in Dublin...

At the end of the day it would cost millions if not billions to relocate governments, infrastructure and so on and Dublin as well as being better strategically located on the eastern coast has a greater population which to mine for well, everything.......

So no change....

Advertisement