Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

• 09-10-2019 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭

Not sure if we have one yet but thought we could start the thread which will cover everything on Project Scarlet or whatever it is going to be called. That other lot have one on the PS5.

How is everyone feeling about the new xbox? What would you like see happen with it? for instance would you like VR added etc.

I for one will be a day one buyer regardless id say but thats mainly due to most of my friends being on xbox.

Here is apparently what we know so far:

Processor
    Custom AMD Zen 2
    RAM
    GDDR6
    Storage
    Custom SSD (capacity TBD)
    Ray Tracing
    Yes
    Maximum resolution
    Maximum framerate
    120 frames per second
    Release Date
    Holiday 2020

MOD EDIT:

MOD NOTE: While this thread previously had order chat in it, it will now be solely for chatting about the consoles. Apologies for not doing this sooner, I think that some of the excitement of actually having the consoles has been lost a bit. Hopefully this sorts that out for now.

If you wish to chat about supply or orders, the dedicated thread for that is here.

CIAB
    Post edited by CatInABox on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Good idea. I'd assume that Microsoft will give the reveal to Digital Foundry again, it seemed to work out very well last time.

There's a big asterisk over a lot of the features that both PS5 and Scarlett, most specifically the Ray Tracing. Can't imagine that it'll be on the level of an RTX, but I'd assume that it'll satisfy most people, in the same way that Scorpio was a 4K box for the masses.

One thing that I'd love is for the Backward Compatible to not just let you play your Xbox One games, but to improve them, like what was done with the Xbox 360 catalogue on Xbox One, i.e. smoother framerates, higher res, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

CatInABox wrote: »
    One thing that I'd love is for the Backward Compatible to not just let you play your Xbox One games, but to improve them, like what was done with the Xbox 360 catalogue on Xbox One, i.e. smoother framerates, higher res, etc.

Microsoft seem to have a good history now with backward compatibility and making games look better, even upgrading some 360 games to utilise the one x's power.

They need to stay strong on services like gamepass, I really think what they are doing there is driving others to compete and have people a little worried, hence the reaction from playstation to cut the price of the playstation now service.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Not sure if we have one yet but thought we could start the thread which will cover everything on Project Scarlet or whatever it is going to be called. That other lot have one on the PS5.

How is everyone feeling about the new xbox? What would you like see happen with it? for instance would you like VR added etc.

I for one will be a day one buyer regardless id say but thats mainly due to most of my friends being on xbox.

Here is apparently what we know so far:

Processor
    Custom AMD Zen 2
    RAM
    GDDR6
    Storage
    Custom SSD (capacity TBD)
    Ray Tracing
    Yes
    Maximum resolution
    Maximum framerate
    120 frames per second
    Release Date
    Holiday 2020

My thoughts on the implementation of the following

Ray Tracing - extremely limited utilisation.
    Max Res - most likely the dashboard.
    Max FPS - probably achievable in "simpler" style games.

What I think they should focus on -

60 FPS minimum first and foremost at 1080p. Once that's achievable stay at 60 FPS and bump resolution to 1440p.

Not really a point in having 8k resolution at low quality graphic setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Personally, I am excited for the next gen. It is the first true leap in hardware and we are finally moving away from the Jaguar CPU, which has been the limiting factor for to long. As has already been discussed. The next gen consoles wont have a massive leap in teraflops but we need to move away from using this unit as a measurement, as the hardware is completely different.

That being said, I am COMPLETELY against 8K and using it as a marketing ploy. Just give me HD and 4K at 60fps and I will be happier than 8K at 20-30fps. We don't need 8K.

I am looking forward to seeing what developers will find possible with this new console.

For the record, I think Microsoft need to hit the ground running this time around. They cannot afford a repeat of the Xbox One launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Flashdan

Will you need an Xbox Scarlett / PS5 with Stadia, Xcloud etc?

I mean they both come out before Christmas this year so there is plenty of time to test them to see if they work well enough in a cloud based system.

If these platforms are a success next year and Stadia offer 4k 60 FPS that only requires 35Mbps then what is the point in getting next gen as 4k 60fps is the benchmark they are going for in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The biggest mystery will be the name of the new console.
    They've never been consistent with their numbering so now might be the best time to take the Nintendo approach and give it a distinct name rather than a number.

The biggest mystery will be the name of the new console.
    They've never been consistent with their numbering so now might be the best time to take the Nintendo approach and give it a distinct name rather than a number.

Well looking at there current naming convention as in Xbox One, One S and One X, I wonder will they simply just go for Xbox Two or Xbox 2.

They need to make it very clear to the non informed consumer that this is the next gen model compared to the previous micro upgrades

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well looking at there current naming convention as in Xbox One, One S and One X, I wonder will they simply just go for Xbox Two or Xbox 2.

They need to make it very clear to the non informed consumer that this is the next gen model compared to the previous micro upgrades

I got a chuckle out of this.

https://twitter.com/TylerGlaiel/status/1181654707158183936

That seems to have gone right over my head :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Personally, I want a day one console & controller branded with 'Scarlett', similar to the launch of Scorpio. Everything else is secondary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Probably already thinking along the lines of the different SKUs at each range

Xbox Series X.....Series X Pro etc

Who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The name is a train wreck. This thing is going to sell even worse then the xbox one.

McDermotX wrote: »

I like it. Brave of them to go with a non standard shape for it, what with the backlash against the look and styling of the original Xbox One.

Looks very much like a custom PC tower, I'd say the cooling requirements of this generation are forcing some creative thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I don't mind the name.
    I think numbers and model names are becoming superfluous in general conversations anyway. Let's play the "XBox" or "Playstation" tends to be used more so than drilling down to the exact console you are gonna be playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    The name is a train wreck. This thing is going to sell even worse then the xbox one.

Not really. The current X will be the base console then you'll have the XS as a mid tier and an XPro or something like that in two years.

Edit: it's a series of consoles not a single SKU.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

RoyalCelt wrote: »

Saw the video first without any context on xbox youtube channel.

And until I saw the release date as being holiday 2020 I though it might have been a new Xbox one version. I think there's a lot of parent who'll make the same WiiU mistake.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Varik wrote: »
    Saw the video first without any context on xbox youtube channel.

And until I saw the release date as being holiday 2020 I though it might have been a new Xbox one version. I think there's a lot of parent who'll make the same WiiU mistake.

It technically is a new Xbox one version.

I really dont know what to make of it, can it be turned on its side to accommodate a tv cabinet for instance? I love the name personally but total nightmare for a parent and even harder for the Microsoft marketing team i would imagine.

• Advertisement

I really dont know what to make of it, can it be turned on its side to accommodate a tv cabinet for instance? I love the name personally but total nightmare for a parent and even harder for the Microsoft marketing team i would imagine.

It can be positioned horizontally.

I think that they kept the "X" in the name as the One X has the reputation as the most powerful console. Assuming that the same is true in this generation, which Microsoft stated as their goal, then it makes sense to bring the "X" over, so that people have that association. Not sure I 100% agree, but as has been pointed out, the name won't really matter, most don't call consoles by there full name anyway, this just be another Xbox in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It can be positioned horizontally.

I think that they kept the "X" in the name as the One X has the reputation as the most powerful console. Assuming that the same is true in this generation, which Microsoft stated as their goal, then it makes sense to bring the "X" over, so that people have that association. Not sure I 100% agree, but as has been pointed out, the name won't really matter, most don't call consoles by there full name anyway, this just be another Xbox in a few years.

Microsoft just love chucking the name "X" across their product portfolio at the moment without any real rhyme or reason. If it denoted the most powerful product in each category, then fair enough, but it doesn't. Bizarre lack of clarity overall and I do think it'll cause confusion.

Microsoft just love chucking the name "X" across their product portfolio at the moment without any real rhyme or reason. If it denoted the most powerful product in each category, then fair enough, but it doesn't. Bizarre lack of clarity overall and I do think it'll cause confusion.

In fairness, I don't think that you can compare Microsofts entire product line with Xbox. Nobody is going to think that there's any relation between Surface Pro X and Xbox One X or Xbox Series X, they exist in very different spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Name doesn't bother me, if it puts out the kind of power they are talking about I get to keep my library, they continue the awesome Game Pass thing and I can use the same controllers then just take my money Bill. They could call it the Xbox Scutter for all I care, looks like a beast of a thing.

It's certainly different, it's a statement. Like back in the old days when each console looked unique. Not sure how practical it will be in most living rooms. Even turned on it's side it's a funny shape.

There are rumours of two systems launching - a cheap one and a high-end one. I assume only the expensive one will look like this.

Their naming scheme is a cluster****. I understand why they didn't want to go with numbers back in the day (they didn't want to be 'one less' than Playstation) but they should have just gone with it and things would be much simpler for them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Love the design, specs looking good, backwards compatibility, kept that awesome controller design for the most part.

Getting out ahead is a good move. They need to nail the exclusives, keep game pass stocked and hopefully will have the edge on power too. XCloud is gonna be interesting too.

I'm in. Can't wait to see Halo Infinite, GTA 6, Elder scrolls 6 running on that in 4K60!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I don't see anything wrong with the name, and like a few have mentioned, I don't think it's going to make much difference. I think the design looks fantastic!

I'd say there's a 120mm axial fan in there and that dictated the chassis shape. Can't think why else they would give it a square cross-section. An optical disc is 120mm so based on the slot i'd say it's not much more than 130-140mm square.

Looks like the controller with it is some form of elite controller as it has the switch in the middle that toggles your custom settings.

• Advertisement

Looks like the controller with it is some form of elite controller as it has the switch in the middle that toggles your custom settings.

The new button is the "Share" button, so you can share clips and screenshots, Playstation style. There are elements taken from the Elite though, like the d-pad.

Advertisement